Transferring Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I transfer to Western?

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2th_fairy2016

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be stupid to Transfer from My current school to WesternU?
Is there anyone who has successfully transferred to any dental school?

The reason I am want to transfer is because
1. All of my family live on the west coast.
2. I hate the cold.
3. Temple will no longer be offering the WREBs after this year which means I will have to fly a patient out to a WREBs school when it comes time to take the licensing exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You lack an excruciating circumstance that would work in your favor for transfer.
There's nothing you listed that other Temple dental students don't have to go through. Therefore, the dean most likely will not want to write a letter for you especially if your reasoning to transfer is that you are unsatisfied with the school and city.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, most transfers will not just "take a few extra classes to make up for some classes" they will repeat the year or be pushed back a year.
If you wish, you can attempt to try to transfer but you'll fail miserably with those reasons. I've only seen one transfer and they transferred because their husband moved here for work.
Note: The dean will never try to dismiss you just because they're "pissed at you."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All the reasons you stated are verrryy superficial, and hold basically zero grounds for requesting a transfer. I'm sure your dean would just look at your request and have himself a little chuckle. Also, Western would look at your application and think "do we really want someone who would leave a school THAT easily?"

All I can say is tough luck..you got into dental school (something that a lot of people would kill for), so suck it up and get your degree.

Reactions: 3 users
Would it be stupid to Transfer from Temple to WesternU?

1. All of my family lives on the west coast.
2. I hate the cold.
3. Temple will no longer be offering the WREBs after this year which means I will have to fly a patient out to a WREBs school when it comes time to take the licensing exam.
4. I love the environment and the caring faculty over at Western.
5. I love California.
6. Temple doesnt have very many breaks including summer break, after the 1st year.
7. There's A LOT of dumb politics!
8. The schools location in North Philly is super dangerous. I cant even stay at the library to study because its very dangerous to walk around that area after the sun goes down.

The main things holding me back is 1.) the fact that Temple has a longer and better clinical reputation, while Western is still new and still building a reputation with dental employers. Therefore temple may land me in a better job after dental school 2.)The curriculum are a little different so I would have to take extra classes to make up some classes. 3.) I need a letter from my dean at temple and I am afraid that if I don't end up getting a spot at Western, the dean will be pissed or try to dismiss me(don't know if its possible).

Overall I'd be happier at Western, but theres a lot of risks and down sides.

I'll be attending Temple Dental for Fall 2017, can you elaborate on point 7 you made about there being "dumb politics"?

Would it be stupid to Transfer from My current school to WesternU?

1. All of my family lives on the west coast.
2. I hate the cold.
4. I love the environment and the caring faculty over at Western.
5. I love California.
6. My school doesnt have very many breaks including summer break, after the 1st year.
7. There's A LOT of dumb politics!
8. The schools location in North Philly is super dangerous. I cant even stay at the library to study because its very dangerous to walk around that area after the sun goes down.

The main things holding me back is 1.) the fact that My current school has a longer and better clinical reputation, while Western is still new and still building a reputation with dental employers. Therefore temple may land me in a better job after dental school 2.)The curriculum are a little different so I would have to take extra classes to make up some classes. 3.) I need a letter from my dean at temple and I am afraid that if I don't end up getting a spot at Western, the dean will be pissed or try to dismiss me(don't know if its possible).

Overall I'd be happier at Western, but theres a lot of risks and down sides.
Sounds like you're homesick after your first semester.

-You applied to dental school, received at least one acceptance and made the decision to attend Temple. Now it's time to live with it and make the best of it. You have an opportunity that people only dream of.
-The grass isn't always greener. Say you transferred, and a semester later you have huge regrets for a variety of other reasons you haven't thought of.
-I highly doubt Temple will allow you to transfer. This means that they now lost a seat for the remainder of that cohort which impacts the school in all sorts of ways. Not saying it's impossible, but honestly I would not do it.
-I don't think a reputation with dental employers is even a factor to consider, nor is it relevant. Dental school is not about job placement, that's up to you. Once you graduate you are free to work where you want, apply for Postgraduate training, open a practice, etc.

I say stick it out, learn as much as you can and make the best of it. Good luck!

EDIT: reread my post and I see how the tone of my post didn't sound very nice. Just wanted to say that wasn't my intention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Why did you go to temple in the first place?

You're going to end up working corporate, they couldn't care less where you went to school.