Transferring Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpea2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this topic/has any experience with transferring dental schools. I know it is rare, but I am under the impression that some schools allow you to transfer after completing the first year. I ask b/c I will be a D1 in August, but the school I am attending, although reputable, is one of the more expensive ones. I was wondering if I would have a chance at transferring to a cheaper school hopefully after my 1st year. So does anyone know any schools that accept transfer students or any more info on the topic. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have allowed transfers in the past but it's extremely hard and usually has to involve some sort of special circumstance such as needing to be closer to home to help take care of a very sick family member or your dental school getting destroyed by a hurricane. One of the biggest hurdles is that every dental school has a different curriculum which most likely doesn't match with the one you're already and that there simply just isn't any room to add one more person to the class. If you're really serious about it, you should really call up the dental school you're hoping to transfer to and talk to them about the possibility.

Some schools have allowed transfers in the past but it's extremely hard and usually has to involve some sort of special circumstance such as needing to be closer to home to help take care of a very sick family member or your dental school getting destroyed by a hurricane. One of the biggest hurdles is that every dental school has a different curriculum which most likely doesn't match with the one you're already and that there simply just isn't any room to add one more person to the class. If you're really serious about it, you should really call up the dental school you're hoping to transfer to and talk to them about the possibility.

It doesn't usually require special circumstances. It requires a high GPA. I actually got into University of Western Ontario from NYU about 2 weeks ago. Then again, this is a Canadian school but American schools should be the same. Remember, people always drop out of first year so there might be a chance to transfer.

Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that at many US schools a TON of international students join the D2 class. These students pay MUCH higher tuition that the normal D2 students. So for every 1 D1 that drops, they can be replaced with a higher tuition paying international student.

Why would a school ever allow a transfer for any reason other than special circumstances?

I know that at many US schools a TON of international students join the D2 class. These students pay MUCH higher tuition that the normal D2 students. So for every 1 D1 that drops, they can be replaced with a higher tuition paying international student.
Why would a school ever allow a transfer for any reason other than special circumstances?

If you do not have a complete list, can you name at least a few where this is the norm?

If you do not have a complete list, can you name at least a few where this is the norm?

I have heard of many schools adding 10-20 international students.Go to the international forum. They have the lists.

I have heard of many schools adding 10-20 international students.Go to the international forum. They have the lists.

The international forum is about as reliable as the pre dent when it comes to obtaining statistical information. Moreover, you are the one making the claim.

Last edited:
The international forum is about as reliable as the pre dent when it comes to obtaining statistical information. Moreover, you are the one making the claim.

yeah that's a nice thing to say about future colleagues.

I imagine you would need a high GPA/class rank before most schools would consider accepting a transfer or extraordinary circumstances, as already mentioned.

As for international students filling in spots left open by dropouts, I only know that Colorado does not do this. If someone drops out of the DDS program, they might compensate by increasing the number accepted for the next entering class, but international students (foreign-trained dentists) are accepted into a separate 2-year program.

yeah that's a nice thing to say about future colleagues.

seems reasonable for you to supply us with the statistics since you were the one that brought it up. Unless of coarse you are being sarcastic.

International dentists(not students-corrected) are usually accepted in D3(90% D schools have this program) and its called "2 yr advanced standing program" terminating in a DDS/DMD usually 5-70 spots.
However, many(most) schools do offer a spot in D2 if they have opening due to regular students dropping out after D1,usually 0-4 spots and most international dentists hate doing D2 again.I know UMD,VCU,BU,all cali schools offer these spots.
International dentists turn collegues turn fellow dentist turn fellow residents, so be careful!:)

Hey, just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this topic/has any experience with transferring dental schools. I know it is rare, but I am under the impression that some schools allow you to transfer after completing the first year. I ask b/c I will be a D1 in August, but the school I am attending, although reputable, is one of the more expensive ones. I was wondering if I would have a chance at transferring to a cheaper school hopefully after my 1st year. So does anyone know any schools that accept transfer students or any more info on the topic. Thanks in advance!

I will tell you right off the back that transferring dental school will be DIFFICULT. Basically once you're a student at a dental school, plan on being a student at that school until you graduate!

I have a friend who wanted to transfer dental school for this coming fall semester.

He received three interviews out of the five dental schools that he was planning on transferring to.

Guess what? Once they, the three dental schools, found out that he was enrolled at another dental school, kabboom, they slammed the door on him. Basically, they declined to further consider him as an applicant. One of the three dental schools told him that he would have to start back as a D1. That, is something he didn't want to do.

However, if you have a severe problem or situation, such as you need to attend a dental school in another area, or near home because your mom, dad, sister, brother, or somebody in your family has brain tumor and needs assistant, and the dental school is near home, then yeah, your dean or your dean of academic affairs can write a letter to the other dental school's dean of student affairs to vouch for you.

Basically, FYI, there is an "agreement" between dental schools via ADA that it is "unethical" to steal or take dental students enrolled in another dental school. Unless you talk to your advisor or dean, or whoever you have to sit down with, to say that they will "release" you as a student, the other dental school will not consider your intent to transfer.

Otherwise, you are more than likely to start back as a D1 at another dental school. And that, is a complete waste of time, especially if you've completed D1 at your current school.

Starting as a D2 as a transfer applicant at another dental school is kind of difficult. It all depends on whether there is/are openings within the second year class. If no student(s) drop(s) out, then you are in no luck to transfer school.

Last edited:

International students have a SEPARATE dental program for them. They usually study separate from the DDS or DMD students. At least that's the way it works at my dental institute. The international dental program is usually considered a "graduate" program because these international dental students already have a DDS or DMD equivalent from a foreign dental school. But in order for them to practice here in the US, they need to graduate from a US-based accredited dental instute. They do not study with the regular DDS or DMD students.

There are a very, very small group of students who successfuly transfer dental schools each year so it is worth a shot if you want to try after D1. You might need a compelling reason - spouse, sick relative, etc. - and that still doesn't guarantee the school you are trying to transfer into will have any sympathy for you. If the school has space and you are qualified, you might get in without a compelling reason. We had a Canadian in our class who came to us in the summer after finishing D1 at another US dental school. This student successfully transferred once. After summer he was gone because we learned he had transferred to a Canadian school - so this student successfully transferred dental schools twice. I also met a student who finished D2 and transferred to a school 4 hours away to follow a spouse but the second school required a re-do of D2.

There are a very, very small group of students who successfuly transfer dental schools each year so it is worth a shot if you want to try after D1. You might need a compelling reason - spouse, sick relative, etc. - and that still doesn't guarantee the school you are trying to transfer into will have any sympathy for you. If the school has space and you are qualified, you might get in without a compelling reason. We had a Canadian in our class who came to us in the summer after finishing D1 at another US dental school. This student successfully transferred once. After summer he was gone because we learned he had transferred to a Canadian school - so this student successfully transferred dental schools twice. I also met a student who finished D2 and transferred to a school 4 hours away to follow a spouse but the second school required a re-do of D2.

no transfer is worth it if you lose a year...every single year lost from your career will have a huge impact in your life.

no transfer is worth it if you lose a year...every single year lost from your career will have a huge impact in your life.

Different priorities for different people. This student valued a year spent with her spouse more than an extra year added to her career.

You could always try to defer where you were accepted and reapply to the cheaper school next year. If you don't get in as a D1 to the cheaper school you still have the more expensive one as an option. It might be easier to get the deferred matriculation than trying to transfer -- even if another school took you as a transfer they might make you repeat part/all your first year.

Since each dental school has its own unique schedule of classes, the likelihood of having to repeat a year or extend your studies a year is significant. It would be wise to take a look at the semester by semester schedule for the school you will be attending and compare it to that of those you'd consider for tranfer. Then you will have a better idea of what to expect. It might not be less cost in the long run if it takes 5 years to graduate instead of 4.

Hey, just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this topic/has any experience with transferring dental schools. I know it is rare, but I am under the impression that some schools allow you to transfer after completing the first year. So does anyone know any schools that accept transfer students or any more info on the topic.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=655797

International dentists(not students-corrected) are usually accepted in D3(90% D schools have this program) and its called "2 yr advanced standing program" terminating in a DDS/DMD usually 5-70 spots. However, many(most) schools do offer a spot in D2 if they have opening due to regular students dropping out after D1,usually 0-4 spots and most international dentists hate doing D2 again.I know UMD,VCU,BU,all cali schools offer these spots.

The 5-70 spots claims represents quite a range but it is about as accurate as the claim of 90% of dental school having a program for foreign dental school graduates. Check the update information on http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619685

International students have a SEPARATE dental program for them. They usually study separate from the DDS or DMD students. At least that's the way it works at my dental institute. The international dental program is usually considered a "graduate" program because these international dental students already have a DDS or DMD equivalent from a foreign dental school. But in order for them to practice here in the US, they need to graduate from a US-based accredited dental instute. They do not study with the regular DDS or DMD students.

Your "institute" may have a separate dental program for international students, but it is not the norm, at least not in the U.S., unless you are referring to NYU or Boston with a large contingent of international ds graduates, Maybe you are right about the terminology and perhaps ds schools should consider a change in name since, after all, for some students it does feel more like an "institution" than a ds.

Last edited:
How do you know that all cali schools offer the spots fro transferring students?