Transferring from categorical IM to Neurology

Started by RevDrC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RevDrC

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am contemplating leaving a categorical IM program in search of a PGY-2 position in Neurology for 2010. My board scores aren't great, but first time pass, I'm in good standing at my current program and I can get excellent letters of rec from 2 Neurologists and most likely good letters from the PD and my primary preceptor from my continuity clinic here. As yet, I don't have any research. I was just wondering how risky a proposition it is to leave a categorical position without any guarantee of finding another and would appreciate any advice from people who have faced/done something similar in the past. Thanks in advance.
 
Neurology has a better future than IM. There is less competition for fellowships.The training is better most programs being Univ. based. Ther reimbursements are better except when compared to Heme onc, GI & Interventional Cardiology. Even these are beaten by Interventional Neurology which gets starting salaries between $350-500,000, but is highly competitive.
If you have specific questions, PM me. I have made the transition.
 
I dont know if this help but I know of a girl who matched into a great Neuro program last year after completing an IM residency. Just make sure you are in good terms with your PD as he/she is required to write a LOR for you. Let him/her know ahead of time so that he/she can start looking for your replacement.