Transferring from CC to University, advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazing tekkers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at a CC as a first year because I didn't have any money to go to the private schools I was accepted to, state school was an option but I decided to attend CC to save money. I'm currently doing my generals so I can transfer to UMN-TC. A bit undecided on my major, whether in bio-chem or bio-med, however, my main goal is to attend med school. I have a 4.00 GPA from the 13 credits I took during the fall. I currently take Chem 2, Anthro, writing intensive course at the CC and I also take Calc at the University I want to attend as a non degree student.

I already sent in an application as a transfer student to the University I'm applying to, and a few more things, I was really lazy in high school (GPA 2.8ish) even though I took AP and IB courses, but I felt I did really well in Calc based physics(2 years), Advanced topics, I kind of struggled in history courses (not my cup of tea though). Since I have only 13 credits so far, the University will also consider my high school transcript. Will I be able to get accepted though? I applied to their Biological Sciences College and Engineering College.

Is it possible for me to get accepted into a University to finish my major, and move on to med school considering I did poorly in high school? Should I complete the 2-years at the CC?

I'd like any advice really. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to save major money, why are you transferring after 1 year?

If you spend 2 years at the CC and maintain that GPA, you will get your pick at many universities, assuming the articulation agreements and a strong transfer program exist between your CC and universities. Hell, you may be even able to swing a scholarship if you maintain that 4.0.

As it stands, if you decide to transfer after one year, that 2.8 may affect you getting into the university of your choice (I don't know where you're trying to go...if it's a public state school I think you should be fine), but it won't affect your ability to get into medical school as medical schools only care about your college GPA (including CC).

Now, if you took some courses during high school that were at a CC and did poorly in them, there might be an issue. I don't know what IB is.

inb4 50 posts of "transfer now CCs suck theyre like middle school and everyone is dumb, one time a CC student or drug dealer or whatever looked at me and i ran back into my ivy league dorm and cried for 20 minutes"

You can do fine. Take as many gen Ed classes as you an to save the cash. Try to take most of the med school prerequisite classes at a uni. But many people have been accepted with prereques from a CC.

What you did in high school stays there. Unless the AP classes you scored low in got you college credit. Once they become college classes they will affect your cGPA.

Your goal is to keep the 4.0 as long as you can. One or two B grades won't kill you and even a C is okay. But keep your GPA over a 3.6 if you really want MD schools. DO schools tend to be a little more forgiving on their grades.

It sounds like. You have a good start on your college experience. Keep it up and you will do fine.

Also, read more before you post. This question has been asked and answered about 1000 times in the past couple of years.

dsoz