Transferring from UK vet school to US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf2316

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have seen a few thread that were pretty short that touched on the topic of transferring vet schools. Long story short, I will be going into my first year of vet school in the UK this year (I was accepted to 2 schools in the UK, which both are 5 year programs, and none of the few schools that i applied to in the US), however, my mother has cancer and other severe illnesses and I'm not sure how much longer she has.. so I would really like to transfer home to the US after I complete the first year. My undergrad GPA was a 3.1 (it was a 3.4 up until the very end, but then my calculus professor happened -_-), my GRE writing score was great but the other two scores (math/ english) lacked. I would love to hear about someone elses experience with transferring. The list of requirements some schools give seems very daunting, such as requiring letters from the dean of the veterinary school. I see a lot of people transferring from Caribbean schools into the US. I was really interested to see if anyone has transferred from the UK to US Schools..maybe even more specifically to Washington State University. I figured if I did at least one year in a vet school that may at least show that I am very capable even though my GRE wasn't the best and my GPA in undergrad wasn't the highest. I know that this profession is what I was born to do... which is why I am going across the world to chase my dream.. any advice..or experience that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated
One thing to consider- Would you be okay with having to start "over" at year 1 in the US since the UK's 5 year curriculum wouldn't match? That would be another year of debt to think about.

As well, I'm not sure if you could easily transfer to 1st year logistically. I think it would be almost impossible, though I'm sure there are exceptions. Why? Because transfers to 2nd and 3rd year are made due to empty spots in the class due to people leaving for one reason or another. In first year you have all the spots full.

Status
Not open for further replies.