Transferring medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango1509

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone transferred medical schools after the first semester of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

This is insanely difficult to do and rarely happens at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you want to transfer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of one person who was trying to transfer schools. They now work in research and are currently still attempting to gain admittance.

Edit: They are currently in a LOA while trying to finagle their transfer. However it has been two years since they initiated their want to transfer.

Thanks y'all. I'm hoping to transfer from Ohio State University to Stony Brook in NY to be closer to family and in a place I would be happier in. I was thinking of finishing my current block, which is MSK, and then leave if possible.

Thanks y'all. I'm hoping to transfer from Ohio State University to Stony Brook in NY to be closer to family and in a place I would be happier in. I was thinking of finishing my current block, which is MSK, and then leave if possible.

Transfer Requests
Do you accept transfer students?
Transfer or matriculation with advanced standing into the Renaissance School of Medicine is uncommon and dependent on the anticipated availability of clinical rotations in Phases II and III of the LEARN Curriculum. In the event that seats become available, the (COA) will review applications from all interested applicants who have completed coursework equivalent to Phase I of our LEARN Curriculum. To be considered you must be matriculated at a U.S. or Canadian LCME-accredited medical school, and must be in good standing. Applicants should contact our office in the spring to see if transfer position are available.”

Reactions: 3 users
Almost never happens. Usually has to be for a reason such as taking care of a sick family member, or a significant other in the military got stationed across the country and you have small children. When it rarely happens, it is usually after pre-clinical years have been completed and before clinical years start.

Medical school particularly the pre-clinical years can be hard. I can only imagine how difficult it would be during COVID times without the typical interaction and support from classmates. I would try and finish the year out and then reassess at that point if you truly don't think you can continue where you are. OSU and Stony Brook's curriculum probably doesn't even line up making a mid year transfer even more impossible

Reactions: 1 users
I only know one person who was able to transfer to my school (from an MD to MSTP). He was an unbelievable candidate though. He did it after his preclinical years. I would say that he was an exception to the rule and not a thing to aspire will happen in your case.

As others have said, it's exceedingly uncommon. But it also probably costs you very little to reach out at the time suggested in the transfer instructions posted by Goro. Just don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above. FWIW, I have a close friend who transferred medical schools after preclinical years because her father was gravely ill. Transferred from T10 to T20 , so was a very strong candidate at baseline and really involved at her first program. Also was initially accepted to the school she transferred to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll find that 4 years will pass faster than you think.

I've never seen a formal transfer happen. But I do have a friend who did one year at a DO school OOS, applied during that year for an IS school, and then did his first year over again at the MD school. So basically 5 years of med school. I don't know if any deception was involved.

I personally haven't looked into it, but imagine it's a rare situation to be in. With all rare situations, it's better to just give it your best shot instead of trying to gauge your chances from anecdotal evidence. That said, it seems like you have a decent reason and it's not like you're attempting to transfer from a rural state school to any Ivy league. Obstacles will be how the school that accepts you can accommodate as LCME (likely) has some sort of cap of medical students and medical student expenditures (mainly malpractice insurance during 3rd year) isn't cheap. Any reason you're targeting only one school. NYC is a large area and imagine many schools in the region that would allow you to be a commuter. The reason I'm asking if your probably going to have more success with this with schools with a larger class size.

Last edited:
Know two people who transferred medical schools in recent years, but both were MD/PhD students who switched institutions because their PIs moved.

Aside from family, why do you feel you'd be happier at a different school? med school is hard everywhere

yea I get that med school is hard anywhere, but I think being in NY will make me happier. Family is a big part, but I think the vibe and culture in NY is also something I don't want to give up. It was pretty dumb of me not to realize this when I had the chance to choose a NY med school.

I personally haven't looked into it, but imagine it's a rare situation to be in. With all rare situations, it's better to just give it your best shot instead of trying to gauge your chances from anecdotal evidence. That said, it seems like you have a decent reason and it's not like you're attempting to transfer from a rural state school to any Ivy league. Obstacles will be how the school that accepts you can accommodate as LCME (likely) has some sort of cap of medical students and medical student expenditures (mainly malpractice insurance during 3rd year) isn't cheap. Any reason you're targeting only one school. NYC is a large area and imagine many schools in the region that would allow you to be a commuter. The reason I'm asking if your probably going to have more success with this with schools with a larger class size.
I looked into some other lesser ranked schools than OSU and two of them explicitly said they only accept transfers after the 2nd year. Stony Brook was one of those schools that didn't outright say this so I thought I have a chance to transfer there asap (before end of second year)

I'm pretty sure you also need a letter from your Dean to begin the process that would more than likely ultimately fail, and this may cause you to also taint some ties with your current institution. Something to consider.

If just being unhappy and missing family was an acceptable reason to transfer med schools, everyone would.

Dealing with the consequences of a decision you made is a big part of being a grownup.

Reactions: 8 users
yea I get that med school is hard anywhere, but I think being in NY will make me happier. Family is a big part, but I think the vibe and culture in NY is also something I don't want to give up. It was pretty dumb of me not to realize this when I had the chance to choose a NY med school.
This is not a reason that gets schools to let you to transfer.

It’s not happening. You made the decision to go to OSU, now you have to deal with the result of that decision.

Sorry, bro. Like most others have said here, if your most compelling reason is "me no likey here, and I wanna go back to cool NY," the med schools are gonna give you a big bowl of "suck it up"

I looked into some other lesser ranked schools than OSU and two of them explicitly said they only accept transfers after the 2nd year. Stony Brook was one of those schools that didn't outright say this so I thought I have a chance to transfer there asap (before end of second year)
OP I fail to see a downside to attempting this. Even if you ask the OSU dean, that's not going to blackball you at OSU like someone else hinted at. I would cold call all the NY schools and ask them about your eligibility for transfer. If anyone is even willing to entertain the idea, bring the case up with your current dean of student affairs. Ignore the preaching on this thread. Conventional wisdom falls flat in uncommon scenarios and you have to take a shot if you want to get what you want. I don't think you need our advice to know the situation is a crapshoot.

OP I fail to see a downside to attempting this. Even if you ask the OSU dean, that's not going to blackball you at OSU like someone else hinted at. I would cold call all the NY schools and ask them about your eligibility for transfer. If anyone is even willing to entertain the idea, bring the case up with your current dean of student affairs. Ignore the preaching on this thread. Conventional wisdom falls flat in uncommon scenarios and you have to take a shot if you want to get what you want. I don't think you need our advice to know the situation is a crapshoot.
Nah I just said what I said because I too am trying to transfer to SBU and am attempting to minimize the competition.

• Haha
I appreciate all the comments though. Thanks for listening y'all

I transferred medical schools between my MS2 and MS3 years. It was actually a really easy, seamless transition. Medical school administrators do care about being closer to family and that (as well as health issues) were apart of my reasons to transfer. I actually got waitlisted at the school I transferred to and was still easily able to make the transition! I am not the perfect, **** golden eggs AOA student either. I am just your average blue collar first gen student who did their best and just sincerely advocated for myself and my needs. When you ask about the transfer, avoid putting down your current school/city and just state the logical facts (be closer to family for x reason). I would also ask when they allow it. Most schools that do accept transfers accept them mainly between MS2 and MS3 years. As many people have said, there's no downside to asking. If it's meant to be, it will work out. You have to do what is best for you and your education. Just do not withdraw from your current school until you get a letter of acceptance from the transfer school. I am very happy I was not afraid to kindly and politely ask for what I wanted/needed. Ask for what you want or take what you get. Message me if you have questions.