Transferring to a Uni Closer to home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvs42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in SUNY geneseo which is slightly (not much) higher ranked than UB. Though I like the school I think it would be more beneficial for my health to be at home. Not to mention I already have two internships lined up if I do go and much more connections in Buffalo. Would it hurt my chances to transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in SUNY geneseo which is slightly (not much) higher ranked than UB. Though I like the school I think it would be more beneficial for my health to be at home. Not to mention I already have two internships lined up if I do go and much more connections in Buffalo. Would it hurt my chances to transfer?
Yes

The vast majority of med schools couldn't care less where you went to school. Going to the school where the environment and circumstances are most conducive to you performing your best academically and developing as a person would be in your best interest. It sounds like that description fits the latter option. More so, Buffalo has an associated medical school, which also confers an advantage.

That being said, if you are a just freshman, be honest with yourself if you are just getting homesick. If so, you owe it to yourself to at least explore the opportunities at your chosen school before returning to more familiar pastures.

All the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of med schools couldn't care less where you went to school. Going to the school where the environment and circumstances are most conducive to you performing your best academically and developing as a person would be in your best interest. It sounds like that description fits the latter option. More so, Buffalo has an associated medical school, which also confers an advantage.

That being said, if you are a just freshman, be honest with yourself if you are just getting homesick. If so, you owe it to yourself to at least explore the opportunities at your chosen school before returning to more familiar pastures.

All the best.
Thank you! I honestly love my friends the people at Geneseo are amazing, the school however lacks in the sciences and pre-med. Most of the majors there are business/communications/teaching ( it makes sense bc it is a liberal art college with no connecting grad school), they are very smart but do not need to work as hard as I do and there is a bug drinking emphasis/ especially with a hge proportion (more than 60%) involved in greeks and sports (location does not help). A lot of "pre-med" peers have been kicked out of the bio major and now are switching to business. The people are super sweet though, I just feel like eventually I will give in to the party scene just because people eventually become the people they hang around. I might just be weak minded though, but I just want to stay out of that stuff because with my bad experiences in that scene.

Thank you! I honestly love my friends the people at Geneseo are amazing, the school however lacks in the sciences and pre-med. Most of the majors there are business/communications/teaching ( it makes sense bc it is a liberal art college with no connecting grad school), they are very smart but do not need to work as hard as I do and there is a bug drinking emphasis/ especially with a hge proportion (more than 60%) involved in greeks and sports (location does not help). A lot of "pre-med" peers have been kicked out of the bio major and now are switching to business. The people are super sweet though, I just feel like eventually I will give in to the party scene just because people eventually become the people they hang around. I might just be weak minded though, but I just want to stay out of that stuff because with my bad experiences in that scene.
I can empathize with what you have described, as I attended a couple of the top party schools in the country. To be frank, at many large undergraduate universities, there is going to be a large proportion of people who drink heavily. I was also in Greek life, so I can empathize with the party culture there as well. The 'party scene' definitely can suck you in and hold you there like quicksand, but you can also manage if you cultivate proper priorities and exercise your ability to say no. You can go out; you cannot go out 5 nights a week. These things in and of themselves will not drag you down unless you let them. Additionally, many pre-meds switch to business/other majors at every university. The longer you spend in these forums, the more threads you will see popping up along the lines of 'what proportion of freshman premeds actually get into medical school?!?!' and then everyone basically saying there is no way to measure that. One of my professors in one of the prereqs had everyone stand up in class that was premed (the majority of the class), and then said that 1 out of every 10 will actually submit an application, then one out of every two of those will get in. Essentially the moral here is that attrition of premeds will happen wherever you go during your undergrad years.

That being said, removing yourself from the temptation is definitely a solution. Just make sure you aren't being a martyr for a goal that requires lots of further sacrifice. I am a large advocate of enjoying your undergraduate years. Don't inhibit your ability to do that with this move; make sure it is something that you believe will land you in a place you will be able to thrive academically, socially, and otherwise.

I can empathize with what you have described, as I attended a couple of the top party schools in the country. To be frank, at many large undergraduate universities, there is going to be a large proportion of people who drink heavily. I was also in Greek life, so I can empathize with the party culture there as well. The 'party scene' definitely can suck you in and hold you there like quicksand, but you can also manage if you cultivate proper priorities and exercise your ability to say no. You can go out; you cannot go out 5 nights a week. These things in and of themselves will not drag you down unless you let them. Additionally, many pre-meds switch to business/other majors at every university. The longer you spend in these forums, the more threads you will see popping up along the lines of 'what proportion of freshman premeds actually get into medical school?!?!' and then everyone basically saying there is no way to measure that. One of my professors in one of the prereqs had everyone stand up in class that was premed (the majority of the class), and then said that 1 out of every 10 will actually submit an application, then one out of every two of those will get in. Essentially the moral here is that attrition of premeds will happen wherever you go during your undergrad years.

That being said, removing yourself from the temptation is definitely a solution. Just make sure you aren't being a martyr for a goal that requires lots of further sacrifice. I am a large advocate of enjoying your undergraduate years. Don't inhibit your ability to do that with this move; make sure it is something that you believe will land you in a place you will be able to thrive academically, socially, and otherwise.
Nothing against sororities at all! They just aren't from me most likely because I pledged a hard hazing local and depledged a week later because they were giving us 10-12 hours doing stuff in the house for them hahaha. I should have oribably gone national; it would have been good for time management skills!

Rankings are pretty meaningless, but I'd point out that Buffalo is a large R1 in the Top 100 on USNWR. Geneseo is only ranked regionally, and while it tends to be just a tiny bit more selective than UB, UB is probably more well-known to the average person (at least outside of NY).

Transfer, it will be the best experience of your life!

Last edited:
In all seriousness, do what's best for yourself. In my experience as a New Yorker who moved away, almost nobody knows anything about the nuances of the SUNY system and even fewer people care. Transferring won't hurt your chances if you have a good GPA, and don't underestimate how important it is to have a support system. If opportunities, networking, and family are all better fit for you in Buffalo don't hold yourself back for fear of perception by medical schools.

(Buffalo: Come for the wings, stay because you can't find your car!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Rankings are pretty meaningless, but I'd point out that Buffalo is a large R1 in the Top 100 on USNWR. Geneseo is only ranked regionally, and while it tends to be just a tiny bit more selective than UB, UB is probably more well-known to the average person (at least outside of NY).
UB actually had a lower acceptance rate than geneseo; geneseo is now into the mid to high 70's the school isn't quite what it used to be according to current seniors kinda freaks me out