Transferring to Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevy rose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend Farmingdale State College and will be completing my second semester of my sophmore year this spring. The only reason I attend Farmingdale is because certain family situations didnt allow me to go to Stony Brook right out of high school. But Stony Brook has always been my dream school. I want to transfer there for the Fall 2017 semester as a bio major, but everyone is telling me that it is impossible to do well there and that proffesors make classes 10x harder than they need to be. Ive read that getting A's just isnt doable. Has anyone here attended Stony Brook and is this true? And should I go with my dream and take the risk of going to Stony Brook or just stay at Farmingdale, which is a low tier school.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently go to stony brook and going on to my second semester as a junior. The premed classes are very challenging since almost everyone wants to become a doctor. Therefore much, if not all, of the premed courses are treated as weed out courses.

I know a friend who was struggling to pass a bio course with a C at stony brook but transferred to farmingdale and got an easy A in the same bio course. But dont let this deter you.. I ended up with all A/A- in my premed courses. It just takes a lot of hard work.

The good thing about stony brook is that there are endless opportunities to do research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I currently go to stony brook and going on to my second semester as a junior. The premed classes are very challenging since almost everyone wants to become a doctor. Therefore much, if not all, of the premed courses are treated as weed out courses.

I know a friend who was struggling to pass a bio course with a C at stony brook but transferred to farmingdale and got an easy A in the same bio course. But dont let this deter you.. I ended up with all A/A- in my premed courses. It just takes a lot of hard work.

The good thing about stony brook is that there are endless opportunities to do research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ok thank you so much. If you dont mind me asking what bio course did your friend struggle with? And is it true that registering for classes is a pain since all classes fill up extremely fast?

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently attend Farmingdale State College and will be completing my second semester of my sophmore year this spring. The only reason I attend Farmingdale is because certain family situations didnt allow me to go to Stony Brook right out of high school. But Stony Brook has always been my dream school. I want to transfer there for the Fall 2017 semester as a bio major, but everyone is telling me that it is impossible to do well there and that proffesors make classes 10x harder than they need to be. Ive read that getting A's just isnt doable. Has anyone here attended Stony Brook and is this true? And should I go with my dream and take the risk of going to Stony Brook or just stay at Farmingdale, which is a low tier school.

From what I hear stony and binghamton tend to be bad schools to go to for premeds because both are extremely challenging. I suggest considering tranferring to Buffalo as a SUNY with a better reputation than Farmingdale. You may not like being so far upstate but you still get lots of research opportunities and a B-average student at stony is an A-student at buffalo

Last edited: