Transfusion Medicine-Blood Banking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringPath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been seeing a lot of discussion about the competitiveness of various Path subspecialties, but I havent seen anything about transfusion medicine. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into a fellowship and how well they do financially once they start practice? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AspiringPath said:
Hi

I have been seeing a lot of discussion about the competitiveness of various Path subspecialties, but I havent seen anything about transfusion medicine. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into a fellowship and how well they do financially once they start practice? Thanks

I don't know anyone who has done one, but I think they would be pretty easy to get into_On average, I bet they do bad financially, but,lets face it, it is not that demanding of a job. You don't really do anything. Some gigs might be pretty sweet in terms of cash.

From what I hear, you can expect to make around $150K max. As a special bonus, you can probably also expect to be on call for the blood bank 24/7, depending on the size of your blood center.