GI pathology fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathres1984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in pursuing GI pathology fellowship. I am interested in University of Utah and University of Washington programs as there are close to my home. Can anyone shed light on pros and cons of both the programs. both the institutions have a good name in the field. University of Utah has a good faculty line as per their website. I thought University of Washington is a better program than Utah, but, they look short staffed in GI path as per their website. Of these two, which program would you choose and why?

Thank you for taking time to reply

Members don't see this ad.

Neither. Non-boarded fellowships are a waste of time.

UW is the superior institution.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither. Non-boarded fellowships are a waste of time.

UW is the superior institution.
Waste of time but employers still look for GI fellowship trained fellows, so that’s where a fellowship comes in handy. No fellowship means no consideration for the position which means one less potential job.

Make sure you go to a well known institution for GI if you do choose to do it.

Medical liver is one thing that's nice to punt to people with GI fellowships. Not that others couldn't learn to do it, but it doesn't seem like residency gives much exposure to things like non-neoplastic liver, lung, kidney. Maybe a one-month rotation and then never again. And if your group doesn't get many of those cases it's probably better to concentrate the practice.

Another consideration is the various cancer accreditations. At our shop, rectal cancers are only signed out by the GI peeps because there's a rectal cancer accreditation that has certain requirements about who can sign out the cases. You don't need a GI fellowship, but you have to show a demonstrable interest or sign out X number of rectal cases per year or somesuch thing.

Reactions: 1 users