Transfusion Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bendamustine

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi

I am an IMG, doing 2nd year of residency in IM in a small community hospital.

I kinda made up my mind now, to do hem-onc fellowship (a bit late I know). I do not have any research until now.

I feel I wouldnt be ready to apply next year for Hem-Onc fellowship.

So I was thinking would it be a good idea to do one year of transfusion medicine and use it as a bridge to get into Hem-Onc, honestly I dont want to do a year of chief.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Palliative care and geriatrics are the most relevent to Heme/Onc and may help your application.
You're also far more likely to interact with Hem/Onc attendings in these fellowships than transfusion medicine. With the rare BMT patient with a million allo-antibodies, most of the cases you deal with in transfusion are going to be surgical/ICU cases, and TBH, I've never seen the transfusion/blood back fellow actually in the hospital, unless there's nobody else to run the massive box over to the ED/OR. With Geri and HPM, you're more likely to develop long-term relationships with hem/onc faculty and there are a million simple research projects you can attach yourself to.
 
Not a good idea unless you want to do pathology/blood banking director. It's not useful for what we do and not translatable in any real way. Can you do heme onc hospitalist?
Can I work as an Hem-Onc hospitalist with just IM residency, also I'm on Visa so finding such a spot would be very difficult for me.