Transfusion Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bendamustine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am an IMG, doing 2nd year of residency in IM in a small community hospital.

I kinda made up my mind now, to do hem-onc fellowship (a bit late I know). I do not have any research until now.

I feel I wouldnt be ready to apply next year for Hem-Onc fellowship.

So I was thinking would it be a good idea to do one year of transfusion medicine and use it as a bridge to get into Hem-Onc, honestly I dont want to do a year of chief.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a good idea unless you want to do pathology/blood banking director. It's not useful for what we do and not translatable in any real way. Can you do heme onc hospitalist?

Reactions: 1 user
Palliative care and geriatrics are the most relevent to Heme/Onc and may help your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Palliative care and geriatrics are the most relevent to Heme/Onc and may help your application.
You're also far more likely to interact with Hem/Onc attendings in these fellowships than transfusion medicine. With the rare BMT patient with a million allo-antibodies, most of the cases you deal with in transfusion are going to be surgical/ICU cases, and TBH, I've never seen the transfusion/blood back fellow actually in the hospital, unless there's nobody else to run the massive box over to the ED/OR. With Geri and HPM, you're more likely to develop long-term relationships with hem/onc faculty and there are a million simple research projects you can attach yourself to.

Not a good idea unless you want to do pathology/blood banking director. It's not useful for what we do and not translatable in any real way. Can you do heme onc hospitalist?
Can I work as an Hem-Onc hospitalist with just IM residency, also I'm on Visa so finding such a spot would be very difficult for me.