SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Transition Element Question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by artsyme, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. artsyme

    artsyme 5+ Year Member

    Aug 30, 2006
    I know this may not be that important, but its really been bugging me....
    Every group shares the same number of valence electrons, indicated by Group [roman numeral]. However, I can't seem to figure out why the transition elements go from Group IIIB to IVB to.... VIIIB, VIIIB,VIIIB

    can someone explain this to me please? Thanks!

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. JMJRDH1

    JMJRDH1 Floss User 7+ Year Member

    Jul 17, 2004
    The open road
    The group A elements are called the representative elements, because they each more or less "represent" their own groups according to physical/chemical properties.

    The group B elements are called transition elements because they sometimes have characteristics from more than one group or representative elements because they have an incomplete d-subshell. They are also capable of multiple oxidation states, like Fe2+ and Fe3+.

    As far as your questions about the roman numerals, just count across the periodic table IA, IIA, then jump down to the transition elements IIIB, IVB, VB, VIB...............then jump back up to 13A, 14A, etc.

    Hope this helps!
  4. DentalKitty

    DentalKitty 5+ Year Member

    Mar 12, 2007

Share This Page