1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Element Question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by artsyme, Apr 11, 2007.

1. artsyme

Pre-Dental
    I know this may not be that important, but its really been bugging me....
    Every group shares the same number of valence electrons, indicated by Group [roman numeral]. However, I can't seem to figure out why the transition elements go from Group IIIB to IVB to.... VIIIB, VIIIB,VIIIB

can someone explain this to me please? Thanks!

:confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JMJRDH1

JMJRDH1 Floss User

Dentist
    The group A elements are called the representative elements, because they each more or less "represent" their own groups according to physical/chemical properties.

The group B elements are called transition elements because they sometimes have characteristics from more than one group or representative elements because they have an incomplete d-subshell. They are also capable of multiple oxidation states, like Fe2+ and Fe3+.

As far as your questions about the roman numerals, just count across the periodic table IA, IIA, then jump down to the transition elements IIIB, IVB, VB, VIB...............then jump back up to 13A, 14A, etc.

Hope this helps!

4. DentalKitty

Pre-Dental