Transition from community college to 4-year university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knpnfa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up until this semester I have been taking classes from the local community college. Classes went well there and I transferred to a local 4-year university spring of this year. Well things did not go so well this semester. I took bio 2, cal 2, and chem 2/lab and ended up with a A, A, B/A- respectively. I am very unhappy with my chemistry courses as I feel like I learned very little (there was a massive curve because of the transition to online class). During a normal semester the chem 2 professors are notorious for being shenanigans (for lack of a better term) and the attempt to teach us online was horrendous. My question is two-fold, should I retake the chemistry courses and would I benefit taking the courses at the local CC? At the CC the instructors were heavily engaged in our education, unlike the university.

Members don't see this ad.

if you already transferred into a 4-year institution, stick to it

don't retake a B

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed - a B is not ideal, but not irredeemable. I started in CC then went to a 4 year school and did horribly (much worse than a B). I'll be starting fellowship in a couple months. The transition from CC to 4-yr is a big jump. Just like you already figured out, my professors in CC were more engaged with me but the classes were probably easier as well (you can make an argument that I learned more efficiently with that support). In the 4yr setting the classes are bigger and your questions don't get answered, especially in this transition to online learning. Take a breath, work on study habits, and keep moving. You did well enough that I suspect you will continue to get good grades. Everyone gets a B sometime - that is why the average GPA is <4.0, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Up until this semester I have been taking classes from the local community college. Classes went well there and I transferred to a local 4-year university spring of this year. Well things did not go so well this semester. I took bio 2, cal 2, and chem 2/lab and ended up with a A, A, B/A- respectively. I am very unhappy with my chemistry courses as I feel like I learned very little (there was a massive curve because of the transition to online class). During a normal semester the chem 2 professors are notorious for being shenanigans (for lack of a better term) and the attempt to teach us online was horrendous. My question is two-fold, should I retake the chemistry courses and would I benefit taking the courses at the local CC? At the CC the instructors were heavily engaged in our education, unlike the university.
Considering your course load, the transitions from CC to 4-year university, and the craziness that Covid 19 threw everyone into, I think you did exceptionally well this semester. Now that you’ve got your feet under you, but the ground running for semester 2!

Reactions: 1 users
if you already transferred into a 4-year institution, stick to it

don't retake a B
So it is not so much grade protection I am worried about, but knowledge of the material. I am not confident in the least about the subjects covered. I was going to retake the course at the 4-year regardless of my grade. However, it was online and taught by the same professor. That plan went out the window real fast. Fall semester is orgo 1/lab, genetics, and physics 1/lab. Hopefully the school is open and the classes are not some weird hybrid as I don't like online classes in the least.

Instead of retaking the class, should I just invest time in something like Khan Academy (better suggestions?) and MCAT prep material?

Everyone gets a B sometime - that is why the average GPA is <4.0, right?

Agreed that everyone gets a B once in a while, but also an A- is a 3.7 so you can have all A's and one A- and your GPA will be lower than 4.0.

So it is not so much grade protection I am worried about, but knowledge of the material. I am not confident in the least about the subjects covered. I was going to retake the course at the 4-year regardless of my grade. However, it was online and taught by the same professor. That plan went out the window real fast. Fall semester is orgo 1/lab, genetics, and physics 1/lab. Hopefully the school is open and the classes are not some weird hybrid as I don't like online classes in the least.

Instead of retaking the class, should I just invest time in something like Khan Academy (better suggestions?) and MCAT prep material?
good judgment. the professor makes or breaks the class

don't retake the class, you'll get everything you need from Khan, kaplan, your chem textbook, aamc prep hub

DO NOT RETAKE A B!!! take a harder class next semester instead. Also, - during medical school you will have to study on your own. Professors explain some things, but mostly medical school is teaching yourself stuff under professors guidance (that's often missing, to be honest). SO, think of this as a good experience.