Transition to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm looking for empathy, a pat on the back or just in need of some sleep after a crappy couple of shifts and short-swinging......'ere goes:

My hard work has paid off and I have begun to receive a handfull of acceptances to DO schools (my preference) first shot at the whole process. I had kept the whole decision a secret from my co-workers (why? I don't know...seemed like the best way to stay out of the ER gossip machine), except for one ED Tech - I had happened to see him while taking the MCAT exam...sitting behind me of all places!

This past month, the Tech saw me in the hall and congratulated me, others saw and asked what was up....so, I told them what was/had been going on. I got "oh yeah?" from the nursing staff, and many congrats, etc., from the medical staff. HUH?! not one congrats by ANY nurse? I just don't get it.

One of the other nurses (who, actually I can safely/confidently say, no one actually LIKES because of many reasons - leaving you to hang by yourself with a critical patient or 3 tops the list, trust me) just got into PA school - oh my, we had a banner and a cake and a this and a that for a week on end. Hell, I can't get a lousy "good for you"; just "oh..." I swear...

Re-reading this, I sound catty and awful. I guess I'm just a bit hurt. I've sweat and laughed and cried and sweat some more with these people for years...Nurse Manager is acting wacky too, but that's another story...

Any of you other Nurses-to-Docs get any grief when approaching "short-timer" status at your jobs before school? and, after getting actually 'in' school...how to you feel your transition went/is going?...I'm interested to hear....

Thanks!
(I'll step down off the soapbox now)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 02-14-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

I was not there, but it does almost sounds a little catty. The whole process of applying, testing and waiting is very stressful (as you sure know!), perhaps you are being a bit over sensitive. Maybe the lives of those at work were not as busy when your friend was excepted. Who knows. Dont let it bother you. There might even be some resentment. A ltiilt humility will go a long way here.
Personally, I am very happy for you as I am certain your family and friends are. Good Luck!

Both of our news "broke" at roughly the same time....I have no jealousy whatsoever of this person at work, believe me...and I am the last person who is a braggart - you just have to trust me on that...and I was an active participant in this person's "party".

Jealous possibly of the attention this person has received?...you may have me there (read: Disappointed) - I could give a &*^% less about the flags and cake, etc....It's the "oh" I get in response to my success, especially since I've known my co-workers for years now. Posters on this board KNOW how arduous the whole process is compared to PA school admittance (comparatively speaking IMO - no flame war intended here). A simple "congratulations" should not be so difficult to come by...

Resentment towards me for getting accepted? Well, now, that's not something I even considered.....a good point and worth thinking about on my part (I guess I'm not the type of person that resents another's success - their success is no reflection on me as a worthwhile person, I feel).

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all...CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Secondly, I'd be willing to bet that some of these "catty" coworkers are simply jealous. Getting into PA school is certainly a nice accomplishment, but getting into med school is something many only dream of. IMHO, I think alot of nurses, at one time or another, secretly fantasize about it, even if it's not something they'd ever actually want to pursue...who doesn't occasionally dream about being the one in charge!

Unfortunately, from now on, many will view you differently. Even though medicine is certainly a team effort, we all know that physicians are...must be, the leaders of the team. In effect, they may now view you as a future boss. Also, I hate to admit it but it's been my experience that female med students tend to get more grief from nurses than male med students. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority have been great, but I've met one or two along the way who were jealous...plain and simple. And no, it's not my imagination. In both cases, other nurses were nice enough to clue me in as to what was going on.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying all your coworkers are jealous, most of them are probably really happy for you, but they may not be sure about how to treat you now. Just be gracious about the whole thing and I'm sure they'll come around. Oh well, you know what they say...be careful of what you wish for...

GOOD LUCK!

Congrats on your acceptance.

They're just jealous that you got in and won't have to change bedsheets and dirty diapers like they will be doing.

Maybe they were surprised about the whole thing and didn't know what to do or say...you didn't mention it to them beforehand...right? Maybe they're planning a big party or something for your last week or shift...who knows?

dds2b,

Your comment on nurses are jealous (of doctors) because they have to "change bedsheet and dirty diapers" is really uncalled for. Each person of the healthcare team has unique responsibilities to take care of, and everyone has a niche in the overall scheme of patient care. Nurses, as I have learned, do much much more than house keeping chores as you have suggested, and incidentally their service to the patients enables physicians to be more efficient in their work. A simple analogy, the healthcare team is like a body with each profession occupying a different part of the anatomy. Who is to say which part is more vital than the other?

PS. I forgot to mention that my wife was a nursing major before she decided to go to optometry school so I do have a first-hand knowledge of what nursing students have to go through in their training as well as what nurses do.

[This message has been edited by DOPhD student (edited 02-16-2001).]

No one here is nurse bashing. If it is a fight you are looking for, please look somewhere else. Thanx

I agree...a flame-war about nurses vs. doctors is not what my original intent was. To educate the ignorant masses about exactly what a nurse, me in particular, does would take me a lifetime...and then some. I've grown to ignore certain comments over the years.

It continues to be funny, though, I am a semi-regular poster on a Nursing webboard for quite a few years now...again not ONE congrats from a NURSE (same as on the job); actually on that board, I've been flat-out insulted ("don't think it's going to be any easier as a doctor," "you'll never truly be ONE of them")....so much for the 'nurturing' profession.

I know what you mean. I am a PA working on an MBA. You can imagine the rash of sh#% I regularily get!!

Hey NurseyK! Your dilemma sounds very similar. I'm on my way to a DO school too. And am leaving the nursing profession. Like you, I haven't told many co-workers what I will be doing. The main reason is b/c I really don't want to go through the whole explaining thing and create tension with other nurses. I think nurses & doctors tend to have a separatist mentality, professionally, even though no one vocalizes it. So I think I'll stay on the nursing side until I "cross over." Is it obvious I don't invite conflict? It's nice to hear that I'm not totally alone in this. I have not met any other nurses going to medical school yet. Did you see the episode on ER when Nurse Hathoway told her staff nurses she was going to take the MCAT? They all got this attitude (half joking, half serious). I thought it was pretty realistic. I think the nurses who didn't congratulate you had mixed emotions and also were probably very surprised by the news.
Congratulations on all your interviews! Working & studying definitely has its unique challenges.

I know that it must be odd to 'cross over' like osteogal said. I was a nurse assistant for years and became very close with the nursing staff. I also kept it quiet secret mainly because I didnt know if I was going to get in or not. But when I did tell everyone, I also got some weird responses.

I didnt really take it well at first because some of my great nursing friends really didnt seem to happy for me. But after I though about it for a while, I came to realize that even though some may be 'jealous' I think most of them really didnt know how to respond. For 3 years I work right beside them, taking orders, then the next day I am off to medical school. It must make them feel odd because one day you are their co-worker and next thing you know, you are off to be in a 'higher' position.
The only statment that one of the nurses said very sarcastically, that still bothers me to this day is "Wow, I didnt think YOU were that smart" OUCH, but, proved her wrong!

I must say though, I will always, always respect the nursing field because I have been there. They are the Backbone of the hospital and deserve much more respect than I think they get!

Anyway, CONGRATS to you, and dont take offense to the responses of your friends. It is just something they didnt expect and it is a GREAT and very respectable accomplishment!

------------------
~Pegasus~

[This message has been edited by Pegasus (edited 03-06-2001).]

Thank you all for your kind words, it makes life at work a bit easier to tolerate!

Remember how I said that the medical staff was congratulatory? Welp, I've run into a huge problem with one of the newer (read: she - 2 yrs out of school; me - 6 yrs as ER nurse) female ER docs. She's constantly telling the ER nursing staff not to listen to me when I'm in charge, berating my decision to go to DO school in front of staff ('not smart enough to go to MD school'), etc, etc. Hell, my fellow nurse and I caught a AAA on a LOL that she Dx with "broken back" (lady coded and died b/c Dr did not act on what we (nursing) were screaming over - PCXR after intubation showed AAA as big as your fist, honest).

Soooooooo.....bottom line conclusions here:
#1) The jealousy suggestion has proven to be fact (nice call folks);
#2) I believe there's a "thing" about people accepting other's success, those without a strong sense of self who derive pleasure at being "top dog" without competition; who *can't* be wrong; who have *something* to prove. Now I seem to be getting down to words like intimidated and lack of self-confidence....hmmm;
#3) It's not just the little voices in my head telling me strange things...hehehehe
biggrin.gif

This idea was reinforced the other nite when I worked with our DO (read: she - 2 yrs out of school also). She started out as an ED Tech, then ED/Critical Care RN, then DO school...smart as a whip she is...and GGGOOOODDDD...She said she had same problems with staff before she left (whew...).

Thanks for the place to vent!

Kat
smile.gif

It's nice that you work with someone who's been in your shoes. Have you told her about the other PGY2? What did she say? Regarding this other doc, HOW RUDE!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully you don't have to work with her too much. If it was me, I think I'd have to call her on her bullsh#t.
If nothing else, I'd want to know why she feels the way she does. Obviously, she knows NOT whereof she speaks, but I'd be curious to see how she'd respond if you actually stood up to her...in a professional way of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
NurseyK,
I've been a hospital tech for nearly 3 yrs. and have been accepted to a few osteopathic medical schools. I know your frustration. I'm in the home stretch of my career as a tech and will start a new chapter in my life this summer in med school.
Recently, one of the other techs, Sylvia, graduated from a local community college and passed her RN boards... you would've thought that the President was coming to our hospital with all of the fanfare and glory bestowed upon her. Wow! I think there's still some of those damn pink balloons hanging in the break room. I kept my application to med schools undercover for a long time. I decided to squeek the news after I got into a few programs and I knew I was on my way. The responses: "oh, that's nice", "when you're a doctor don't be like Dr. X", "when you're a doctor don't do Y", etc, etc. In all fairness, a few of my coworkers congratulated me sincerely, but nothing like Sylvia... one of their own!
I think that's what it comes down to...the us vs. them attitude of nurses. Maybe doctors do the same thing in their circles, but i honestly think they're too busy to gripe nearly as much. Who knows?

I can't wait to leave my job. People ask me how I'm going to manage the stress and lack of sleep as a med student... HA! I work 12 hour third shifts at the hospital. At least in med school, they let you SIT DOWN!

Maybe I'll even throw away my TED stockings
smile.gif

-Glands

NurseyK
Another point of information:

People love to be "naysayers" in a hospital. I can't tell you how many people have told me that I'll never be able to pay for it. Then, once I tell them that I'm on a military scholarship, they tell me that I'll absolutely hate the military and that I'm too old, etc. Hahaha!

Their jealousy is so obvious, it's comical.

I'm sure you're experiencing a good dose of jealousy yourself.

-Glands

Let me preface this next comment with: I *love* what I do; every pt is a puzzle that begs to be 'solved' - you look, you talk, you touch - you go on your gut and your knowledge and your experience and you run with it until you come up with a Dx good enough for Admit or D/C. It's a thrill for me to do what I do, and I do my job WELL (toot, toot). Note: I'm not saying the job is "fun." No job where you see people at their absolute worst is "fun." If I didn't love what I'm doing I would never have made the decision to pursue medschool and an EM specialty.

With that said....I can't stand the rest of this superfluous Jr. High School crap! I've had enough. The bandwagon of jealousy (or whatever you want to call it) that's been chugging slowly along the tracks, has charged full steam ahead and arrived with free boarding for all the sheep. I went in after a few days off....I am essentially alone now: "oh, the DOCTOR can do that by herself," "so, are we supposed to treat her more 'special' now?" "give her all the pt's since she knows so much to get into medical school," from the Nurses...and from the some of the PA's, "Doctor _____, Kathy gave a Tylenol/started a neb and I didn't order it," "she put the pt on that stretcher and you said the other one," blah, blah, blah. I'm the same damn person doing the same damn ER job I've been doing for the last 5 yrs! The other nurse that's going to PA school has been crawling up the medical staff's a$$es and shirking his RN responsibilities..but that's ignored. Somehow, that's ok.

The evening and nite Techs (ED, Radiology, Psych, etc) and the nite Unit Secretary have a joke among themselves. They call themselves, "the little people." I've always enjoyed a good, solid, friendly relationship with many of them. Most of them have been around for more years than the medical and nursing staff combined and, should I dare say, can give some members of both groups a run for their money! Let me tell you....I just received such support and genuine excitement and caring from this group of people. If I've been left hanging by nursing, I suddenly have no less than 2 or 3 ED Techs, XR and the Secretary with me, "what can I do?" etc. XR Techs that haven't said boo to me in years, have come out of the woodwork to help me when they see I need it. When we had some down time, I told them all how appreciative I am, and I'm glad that they, too, didn't join in on the little bandwagon.

WEELLL...full story came out then from (and I quote) "the little people who keep their eyes and ears open and their mouth's shut," "we see what they're doing to you," "you're good and we like you...Doc": we re-hired a few staff (RN) members that quit last year because the ER was "too dangerous with all the new people" at the time (all of one new person). Now, with 5 brandy-spankin' new unqualified RNs on board after 10 resignations from Certified Emergency Nurses, conditions are much worse. These RNs were trouble-makers when they were employees originally. So, you all guessed it correctly...they're causing trouble again, and guess who has the target on her back, hmmmm? Right again. They feel that they have the support of the female doc I told you about before (she works a LOT of shifts a month). They have said, in so many words, that when I'm not in Charge, they're going to ride me hard until I leave (they are coming back with their senority over me intact despite the fact they quit - that's what you get for not having a Union). Nurse Manager doesn't care, "well, you're dropping to per-diem anyway," "why don't you put your papers in now so I can find someone, train and hire them?" She's also now, "not sure" about my Leave of Absence (I want to go back and work there between MS-1 and MS-2 yrs since my RN License won't have expired yet). ED Medical Director is a non-confrontational pacifist who will "yes" and "I understand" you to death instead of lifting up his skirt, grabbing his balls and dealing with whatever the problem is. The CEO has resigned and my boss' boss just quit too. There's no one left to Bit%& at...my incident reports have been thrown in the garbage, ahem, I mean, "on someone's desk somewhere" (yes, I have copies) and now I've been subpoenaed by the D.A. for some drunken trauma the ER Doc killed and I don't remember (not a big deal in and of itself, I've been to court before, just coming at a bad time).

It's funny though...when I started out the whole process of apps, etc., I was scared that maybe I wasn't "ready" (on a certain level) to move on. Oh, I don't know, that emotional devil's advocate whispering, this career/job is ok, this is safe and comfy, I know what I'm doing and can do it in my sleep, why rock the boat?. I must admit that I have gotten to the point now where I am "ready." I'm going "past" this stuff. I want to move on. They say all things happen for a reason, right?

Hey, Glands is right, I'll be able to see the sun, sit down, eat slowly, and go to the bathroom like a normal person for 2 yrs before rotations! Like a little vacation after 5 yrs of 12 hr nite shifts! woo, woo...oh my, come to think of it, I'll be out of shape for residency! hehe

I read the best phrase the other day:
They can eat me, but they can't kill me.
wink.gif

Thanks for the vent, all. I feel the love. LOL!

Kat
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 03-10-2001).]

To Kat,

Hang in there girl!!! If I were you, I'd quit that horrible place immediately!!!!!!!!
I've heard of some bad situations, but that beats them all! Can't you go locum tenens and work for a temp service?

Don't worry about what will happen between MS1 and MS2. You'll only get 4-8 weeks off and you'll be too tired to work. I actually got a credit card to LIVE ON during my summer break so I wouldn't have to work. If you join AMSA (American Medical Student Association) you'll be offered a credit card with a good rate and high max limit. Personally, I decided that I needed some mental health time and was already soooooo far in debt that a few thousand more was a drop in the bucket. If you MUST work, again, just go with a temp service. Let me know what happens. Good Luck!

Neurogirl has the right idea. But, if you decide to stay at the job, I would consider leaving about a month before med school begins to get rid of the bad energy and cleanse your mind so you can start fresh in med school.

I already know that I'm leaving about 5 weeks prior to school starting. I have no idea how I'm going to pay bills, but I have to get my circadian rythm back in line and "cleanse my mind" of the negative energy of the past few years as a med/surg tech.

chant with me: "ooooohhhhhmmmmm"
smile.gif

-Glands

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NurseyK:
I don't know if I'm looking for empathy, a pat on the back or just in need of some sleep after a crappy couple of shifts and short-swinging......'ere goes:

My hard work has paid off and I have begun to receive a handfull of acceptances to DO schools (my preference) first shot at the whole process. I had kept the whole decision a secret from my co-workers (why? I don't know...seemed like the best way to stay out of the ER gossip machine), except for one ED Tech - I had happened to see him while taking the MCAT exam...sitting behind me of all places!

This past month, the Tech saw me in the hall and congratulated me, others saw and asked what was up....so, I told them what was/had been going on. I got "oh yeah?" from the nursing staff, and many congrats, etc., from the medical staff. HUH?! not one congrats by ANY nurse? I just don't get it.

One of the other nurses (who, actually I can safely/confidently say, no one actually LIKES because of many reasons - leaving you to hang by yourself with a critical patient or 3 tops the list, trust me) just got into PA school - oh my, we had a banner and a cake and a this and a that for a week on end. Hell, I can't get a lousy "good for you"; just "oh..." I swear...

Re-reading this, I sound catty and awful. I guess I'm just a bit hurt. I've sweat and laughed and cried and sweat some more with these people for years...Nurse Manager is acting wacky too, but that's another story...

Any of you other Nurses-to-Docs get any grief when approaching "short-timer" status at your jobs before school? and, after getting actually 'in' school...how to you feel your transition went/is going?...I'm interested to hear....

Thanks!
(I'll step down off the soapbox now)
biggrin.gif

Well, again congrats. I am an Rn and I am going to persue med school. I would love to keep in touch with you and find out how it is going. Please email me privately. I would love to know how your nursing has helped/ hindered you in med school. Thanks.

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NurseyK:
?

NurseyK,

The BEST advice I can give you is to NOT care what others think about you and your goals--WHO CARES. I mean does it really matter what all your coworkers are saying about your acceptance to DO school? If you worry about stuff like this, you are going to have a tough road for the rest of your life. My advice is to just keep on going forth in life and to not give a cr@p what others say. By you worrying about what others think of you, you are wasting critical energy that could be used for more beneficial things.

On a personal note, I've had much success in life only because I just "keep on sailing" without interfering in gossip or petty things.

Best of luck to you NurseyK and CONGRATS on your ACCEPTANCE!!!

Vroom

Vroom - I believe that I am older than you think I am.
wink.gif

I am not "worried" about the people at work. Annoyed? Yes. Why? I'm stuck for a 20 hr mandate numerous days a week with these people. We are extremely short-staffed with high acuity patients. I don't get "excited" after all these years of ER nursing. I don't yell. I don't ask for help unless the roof is caving in. On that note, if something crappy does require the attention of myself and I do yell, "help"...I expect all hands on deck.
Problem then? The hands are not running to help. I am left alone on purpose. Now we are talking a pt safety issue...and potentially my license.

Hhhheeeeeyyyyyyyy -

This is kinda like a little therapy session!

I think I'm really getting down to the root of it all...

....a break-thru is coming......

ROFL!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NurseyK:
Hhhheeeeeyyyyyyyy -

This is kinda like a little therapy session!

I think I'm really getting down to the root of it all...

....a break-thru is coming......

NurseyK,

Well, just be glad you are getting out of that hell-hole of a job and moving onto bigger and better things--DO school..YEAH!!!

Vroom
P.S. Of course bigger and better certainly does in no way imply that the DO is superior to the nurse. Bigger and better refers to NurseyK moving forward toward HER designated career path.

[This message has been edited by Vroom (edited April 03, 2001).]

After yet another, crappy, ignorant nite in the playground with the Kindergardeners, I have oh-ficially dropped status from FT to per-diem, effective June 1st. Hubby and I will deal with the lack of $$$ until the start of school (no different from the past 10 yrs together LOL!). He said that he's gotten to the point where he is tired of seeing me 'regret' getting into medschool and wants me to relax and be proud - school will be stressful enough without me bringing old stress to it. (Makes ya just wanna say, "awwwww....")

SSSoooooo, per-diem means working with WHO (nurse and doctor) I want to, WHEN I want to - which will make my time left before school active, yet stress-free. I can't stop the job totally, ya see; I just LOVE what I do. I love the ER. It's just the rest of the gradeschool crap I can do without...

- a short-timer-status

Kat
smile.gif

Originally posted by NurseyK:
•Let me preface this next comment with: I *love* what I do; every pt is a puzzle that begs to be 'solved' - you look, you talk, you touch - you go on your gut and your knowledge and your experience and you run with it until you come up with a Dx good enough for Admit or D/C. It's a thrill for me to do what I do, and I do my job WELL (toot, toot). Note: I'm not saying the job is "fun." No job where you see people at their absolute worst is "fun." If I didn't love what I'm doing I would never have made the decision to pursue medschool and an EM specialty.

With that said....I can't stand the rest of this superfluous Jr. High School crap! I've had enough. The bandwagon of jealousy (or whatever you want to call it) that's been chugging slowly along the tracks, has charged full steam ahead and arrived with free boarding for all the sheep. I went in after a few days off....I am essentially alone now: "oh, the DOCTOR can do that by herself," "so, are we supposed to treat her more 'special' now?" "give her all the pt's since she knows so much to get into medical school," from the Nurses...and from the some of the PA's, "Doctor _____, Kathy gave a Tylenol/started a neb and I didn't order it," "she put the pt on that stretcher and you said the other one," blah, blah, blah. I'm the same damn person doing the same damn ER job I've been doing for the last 5 yrs! The other nurse that's going to PA school has been crawling up the medical staff's a$$es and shirking his RN responsibilities..but that's ignored. Somehow, that's ok.

The evening and nite Techs (ED, Radiology, Psych, etc) and the nite Unit Secretary have a joke among themselves. They call themselves, "the little people." I've always enjoyed a good, solid, friendly relationship with many of them. Most of them have been around for more years than the medical and nursing staff combined and, should I dare say, can give some members of both groups a run for their money! Let me tell you....I just received such support and genuine excitement and caring from this group of people. If I've been left hanging by nursing, I suddenly have no less than 2 or 3 ED Techs, XR and the Secretary with me, "what can I do?" etc. XR Techs that haven't said boo to me in years, have come out of the woodwork to help me when they see I need it. When we had some down time, I told them all how appreciative I am, and I'm glad that they, too, didn't join in on the little bandwagon.

WEELLL...full story came out then from (and I quote) "the little people who keep their eyes and ears open and their mouth's shut," "we see what they're doing to you," "you're good and we like you...Doc": we re-hired a few staff (RN) members that quit last year because the ER was "too dangerous with all the new people" at the time (all of one new person). Now, with 5 brandy-spankin' new unqualified RNs on board after 10 resignations from Certified Emergency Nurses, conditions are much worse. These RNs were trouble-makers when they were employees originally. So, you all guessed it correctly...they're causing trouble again, and guess who has the target on her back, hmmmm? Right again. They feel that they have the support of the female doc I told you about before (she works a LOT of shifts a month). They have said, in so many words, that when I'm not in Charge, they're going to ride me hard until I leave (they are coming back with their senority over me intact despite the fact they quit - that's what you get for not having a Union). Nurse Manager doesn't care, "well, you're dropping to per-diem anyway," "why don't you put your papers in now so I can find someone, train and hire them?" She's also now, "not sure" about my Leave of Absence (I want to go back and work there between MS-1 and MS-2 yrs since my RN License won't have expired yet). ED Medical Director is a non-confrontational pacifist who will "yes" and "I understand" you to death instead of lifting up his skirt, grabbing his balls and dealing with whatever the problem is. The CEO has resigned and my boss' boss just quit too. There's no one left to Bit%& at...my incident reports have been thrown in the garbage, ahem, I mean, "on someone's desk somewhere" (yes, I have copies) and now I've been subpoenaed by the D.A. for some drunken trauma the ER Doc killed and I don't remember (not a big deal in and of itself, I've been to court before, just coming at a bad time).

It's funny though...when I started out the whole process of apps, etc., I was scared that maybe I wasn't "ready" (on a certain level) to move on. Oh, I don't know, that emotional devil's advocate whispering, this career/job is ok, this is safe and comfy, I know what I'm doing and can do it in my sleep, why rock the boat?. I must admit that I have gotten to the point now where I am "ready." I'm going "past" this stuff. I want to move on. They say all things happen for a reason, right?

Hey, Glands is right, I'll be able to see the sun, sit down, eat slowly, and go to the bathroom like a normal person for 2 yrs before rotations! Like a little vacation after 5 yrs of 12 hr nite shifts! woo, woo...oh my, come to think of it, I'll be out of shape for residency! hehe

I read the best phrase the other day:
They can eat me, but they can't kill me.
wink.gif

Thanks for the vent, all. I feel the love. LOL!

Kat
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 03-10-2001).]•
FINALLY~~Spoken like a true ER nurse! I was wondering when you were gonna stop pissin & moanin about all the catty bashing & hating and come barreling through the flaming hoops, fire extinguisher in hand! The fact is, you are one tough bitch to have made it this far and they all know it. Women are catty by nature, and we are in a predominantly female based profession. Did you expect them to be happy for you? They would have acted the same had you announced your engagement to Fabio (but would have thrown a ticker-tape parade had you wed Carot Top)~they just wanna feel more special. You know I am kidding Nursey, & I know it sux (grief at work is always a great big pain in the a$$). Keep in mind~you are my hero :D and I admit I am jealous! CONGRATS!

Congrats on your acceptance to DO school.

All I can say is, "like begets like." We are all human and hate to see others achieve more and strive harder than ourselves. It is a sense of abandonment that many see you doing---to the nursing profession and to their "friendship." A step to PA from nursing isn't nearly as far as a leap----they can still rationalize the move. But to jump to the other side "MD/DO" is a no-no. As you can see the ignorance displayed by the 2nd yr. MD----it is often a battle between nurses and doctors. In some places more prevalent than others.

I say kill em' with kindness and let it be water-off-your-back. It is hard to hate anyone that smiles all the time. Good luck and keep smiling.

R.R.B

Thank you all for your well-wishes!

After a nite from absolute he#% a few weeks ago with that crazy female doc...I mean..to the point where I was so mad that I couldn't even SEE straight...I locked the wacko in the break room and had it out with her - politely ;) yet firmly :D

I must say..she is trying now, a little more quiet than usual, definately not busting my hump AS MUCH (heck, I'd rather be ignored than be ridden like a little shetland pony at a 5 yo birthday party)...

Warm weather's here early, and with it is coming gangs, domestics, MVCs, and donor-cycle traumas by the busload (no pun intended)...it's going to be a long summer before medschool.

Kat :cool:

See? I told you she'd back off if you confronted her. Good for you! :D

Hi Nursery K,

First of all congratulations on your acceptance to DO school! Which one did you decide on? I am soon to be a fourth year and am still an ER nurse (when time allows). Believe me I understand what you are going through, but you'll get through it. I decided not to tell any one at all and a similar incident happened to me when I was waiting to hear about acceptances. One night one of the nurses came in and said in a loud voice " I hear congratulations are in order, I hear your going to..." and I shushed her immediately and dragged her into the med room. When I asked her what she was doing, she said that she ran into the doc that had written my letter of rec (I didn't even know she knew him!) and he was asking about my progress with the application process. I asked her not to tell anyone and she seemed surprised. That was probably the smartest thing I ever did. I continued to get work (I had already dropped to per diem status) until I left. I came back during the breaks and finally when I successfully completed my first year, I handed in my resignation. I work through a temp agency and got work bet. my first and second year (I'm probably older than all of you people and still had enough in me to do some 12 hour shifts ;) and have done a few shifts during my lighter rotations. If you can handle the stress until you get to school, go on girl, show'em what you're made of (that's why you made it to med school) but you might want to consider working elsewhere after you are in school (since there is no union, what's to say your job will be there when you come back, if they are being this catty already). Why didn't I share the news with my co-workers, for the same reasons that you experiencing right now. There are a few nurses in my class and the results are mixed, it seems the male nurses got parties and congratulations from not only the medical but the nursing staff as well (and didn't seem to have any problems when they told staff they were applying to med school) but the females didn't get any kind of encouragement and got treated fairly poorly once they were accepted. Any one care to comment on gender as an issue, post here as I would like to know if this was the exception rather than the rule (there were 4 male nurses in my class, all from different regions). Any way good luck Nusery K and everyone else making the transition, you'll do great.

OK. OK. So I just wanted to keep the thread open...

....and pad my numbers a little... ;)

Soooo, I was thinking. I need a new name. Hhmmmm....DO-K :confused:

Kat :)

Hey there, I thought I would just up-date my little "saga", for I just KNOW all of you are waiting on pins-and-nails to hear the latest... :p

Last nite was my last "FT" nite. I am oh-ficially per-diem now. (It feels wierd.) I spent all week going in (on my own time) to catch my nite-shift buddies to give them presents/cards I bought them.

The guys and gals on nites that I'm close with (read: old-timers to ER and old-time floaters/ICU RNs that come to ER frequently) all came in extra special at 5am on their day off (!) to cook me/us a *big* breakfast - complete with cake for dessert (even the ER Doc I said I was having a problem with participated - heck, she was cooking!). I got a beautiful card from everyone along with a monogrammed leather briefcase and a monogrammed pen set/with monogrammed leather case! I also got some other misc. stuff from the gals I've been "extra" close to. I was crying like a baby!!! Talk about a surprise!!

This unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) came on the heels of: #1) *huge* a$$-chewing out by my boss (I wrote up one of our illustrious incompetent nurses for doing some MAJOR screw-ups and somehow I was the bad guy...) and #2) walking in on a little gossip-session of some of the day/evening nurses (when I came in to get my check) talking maliciously about me, saying how "no one wanted to work with me", they would put me in the "heavy" district alone for "punishment" for my last 2 nites, and calling me "Hitler". :eek: ....ah the "caring" profession....oh yeah, and did I mention that my Nurse Manager was participating in the gossip?.... :rolleyes: WELCOME TO NURSING!

Needless to say, I got on the horn to HER boss....gee, my weekend, and their attitudes, were *much* different suddenly (Nurse Mger never even showed her face during a couple of Trauma Codes like she should have b/c she was on call).

I have to admit though, my last nite was ccrrraapppyyyyy..very bad pt acuity/volume.. but, I had I my true friends around me and that's what counted!

Kat (still teary) :D

Aaaah that story brought a smile of joy, I know it was hard finishing up, but just knowing that you won't have to dealt with the "night to night" routine, the politics, the back biting/stabbing has to make it worthwhile. Heck, that's how I felt as I eased on in to med school, came back on the holidays (no one knew I was in med school except that one nurse) no one was on my case anymore, people were eager to offer me shifts, wow, it was like the world had changed. Then after my very last final exam grade was posted for year one, I abruptly resigned my position. It was the weirdest feeling, but somehow a freeing moment. Good luck on the rest of your journey through Oz and remember, there's no place like med school, there's no place like med school:O).

Congrats NurseyK! I know it's a little late but you should really think about celebrating your own accomplisments... not waiting for others to do it.
I work as Attendant..read "beneath-the-nurses-gopher"..in the OR. Beleive me I understand exactly what you went through, when I announced my medical school acceptance.
I thought it was so funny to see the look on their faces when I sighed dreamily "Maybe I will come back and do a surgery residency here" ;) Yes, we all know what payback can be
Anyways, I say Phuck 'em ;). I bought my own cake and ice cream for my going away party! :) You should try it! Bring enough for everyone! Make sure you offer it first to the people who gave you hate the most! They can't help to say something... even if it isn't very sincere.
Mmmm it's so good to have your cake and eat it too!
Only two more months right! Good Luck

Hamster,

Great attitude. I'll have to remember strategy.
As they say, "Kill 'em with kindness."
Fortunately, I don't foresee needing to buy my own cake and icecream anytime soon, but I'll definitely remember it. :D

Congratulations from me too, Hamster. I am always especially cheered when the scorned turn the tables and enter the Gates of medical school Heaven self-allocated to the chosen elite.
Being a pedant, I also want to comment on your use of "gopher." Gophers are small burrowing rodents related to hamsters, so in that sense your spelling of gopher is accurate. If you meant it in the commonly used sense--low-level unskilled employee whose job it is to fetch this, go for that--the spelling is "gofer", a contraction of "go for." The word "for" is deliberately mispronounced and misspelled as "fer" to insinuate an even more deprecating, lower class sense of "errand boy/girl."

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.

[An old Celtic (Irish/Welsh) parting blessing.]

Thanks gofer for the spelling tip!

Hang in there Kat, I know the temptation is strong just to blow it off (or up ;) whatever your feelings are for your future former "playmates"). Let out a big "HALLELUIA" after you've signed out for the last time. Smile that bright smile and say "I'd like to thank all the little people that made this moment possible." Or you could just quietly think it ;) Best of luck kid. :cool:

Hi Kat,

Starting soon (or have you started yet)? Hope things are going well. Ted :)

Originally posted by tedsadoc2002:
•Hi Kat,

Starting soon (or have you started yet)? Hope things are going well. Ted :)

Hey Ted -

I'm starting orientation this Monday!!!! aaahhhhhhh.....I met my "Big Sister" on Sat. She's a good match; it's nice to have someone to bounce stuff off of...

I'm gettin' nervous! :D But, it's not so bad that I wish I was back at the job. ;)

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Thanks cpw! Good luck to you too!

[sigh]...it's just studying and studying - and it's only the first week of school!!! ahhhhhh!!!! hehehe :p

Don't let me kid ya - I'm having a great time here. (That, of course, may change after I get my first test grades. LOL!)

Great attitude! (I felt the same way). So the transition has been okay? Hopefully so. Keep us all posted and maybe we can get our own "diary" started here, the nurse (health care professional) to doctor diaries! Well, we need a catchier title but I think it'd be great. Again, good luck and yay, radiology is over===> :eek: on to neuro! ted.

Ted -

I hope all is going well with Neuro! Still in AZ or traveling for that one?

Our first test is Monday - Biochem, Histo, Physio....ahhhhhh! ;)

Kat :D