Transition to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It actually shocked me to see one of those "auto-emails" from SDN saying that this thread had been resurrected! Obviously, I haven't posted in quite a while.....

About to finish Osteo Intern year...got into Allo EM program (contract all signed). Passed Comlex Step 3 and am applying for my state license. I have to say it's been one hell of a ride and I'm still having a great time. Some twists and turns on the way to where I am today, but with the grace of God all has turned out extremely well.

Best decision I made was to go to medschool (DO). I have no regrets.

Take care...

Kat :)

Members don't see this ad.

Putting my weight on a congrats for you!
There with the grace of something divine go I.

Members don't see this ad :)
NurseyK said:
It actually shocked me to see one of those "auto-emails" from SDN saying that this thread had been resurrected! Obviously, I haven't posted in quite a while.....

About to finish Osteo Intern year...got into Allo EM program (contract all signed). Passed Comlex Step 3 and am applying for my state license. I have to say it's been one hell of a ride and I'm still having a great time. Some twists and turns on the way to where I am today, but with the grace of God all has turned out extremely well.

Best decision I made was to go to medschool (DO). I have no regrets.

Take care...

Kat :)

Congrats Kat. I had to resurrect it. Too much great information to let it die. I am about to start on the same journey. First an RN then NP, now I will be starting med school this fall. New territory, so I am both scared and excited. But I am ready for the ride.

Just read through the whole thread... Awesome!

Congrats NurseyK!

i was a (still am I guess) long time ER PA that went to med school. Not too far behind you nurseyK, but ti was in part your threads that helped convince me to go.

good for you....

thanx to you...

mike

DeigoT said:
Congrats Kat. I had to resurrect it. Too much great information to let it die. I am about to start on the same journey. First an RN then NP, now I will be starting med school this fall. New territory, so I am both scared and excited. But I am ready for the ride.

Why would a NP want to become a MD? Isn't it a small increase in power/salary vs the opportunity cost and inconvenience of medical school? And I though NPs had way more respect than RNs and PAs. Heck, I have been trained by NPs on some rotations in med school. Just bein' nosey.

oh please dont start this stuff again. you really need to be better informed before making comments like that. --and not from 'hey just posting to get some info" bull. read something will ya

Hey Nursey K

I am not sure if you are still around on the forum these days but I just wanted to let you know that this thread really inspired me, many years ago, to take the plunge and head off to medical school (here in the UK) after years working as a RN. This month I graduated:D WooHoo:hardy:

I have had no regrets and for anyone else seriously thinking of "crossing to the dark side", go for it I say! It's been hard at times but a fantastic and enlightening journey.

My first rotation is in cardiology- wish me luck!:laugh:

Congrats kevUK. Whoo hoo, I just found this thread today. Pretty interesting. I too would like a follow up on Nursey K, see how she's doing. I'm a nurse myself finishing up MS3 this week. One more year, yeah!!! Going into psychiatry.
Anyway, I have to say that third year sucks. I hate having feeling that sometimes its an ass kissing competition. But I have learned soo much. It's a little scary to think of how little I knew when I was a rehab/long term acute care nurse. I can't believe I didn't kill anyone. But I did nursing as a way to gain clinical experience, and always knew I wanted to be a doc. And while the money was good and the hours even better, I hated it. The back breaking work, the mean colleagues, the jealousy and the gossip and the eating their young that many of the older nurses tend to do. I am happy to be here currently, but boy it's been some hard and serious work, lots of sleepless nights, lots and lots of tests. But next year, I will be doing what I want to do, and will be getting a paycheck. Yeah!!!! Can't wait.
But for now, I have a surgery shelf on Friday and gotta finish up my CV and personal statement and ask for letters of recommendation. Oh yeah, and start studying for step 2. Congrats on all who have already taken the path before me, taking the path with me, and who will be taking it after me. This thread goes to show that it can be done and is worth it in the end.

Congrats NurseyK, KevUK and others! I'm looking forward to the journey too.

I'm doing fine thanks...

Currently an EM2, starting to moonlite, looking forward to getting this journey over with and go back to just being a person (ie: just working my 120-150hrs/month and using my free time to have fun).

Kathy

Hello NurseyK,

Just wondering if you're still active on SDN. If so, how are things progressing? I hope you're still around :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what residency is 120 hours a month ? thats not even a 40 hour work week. the ER residents I work with easily do 300 hours a month.

She was referring to being done with residency.

Hello all! :hello:

Nice to see people are still lurking on this thread! :clap:

So what have I been doing? Been moonlighting: second attending coverage last year and now single coverage in the ED this year at 2 affiliate hospitals. A scary but a wonderful experience at the same time. I truely believe that my moonlighting experience got me my upcoming job (to quote: "You will know what to do with people that come in; you've been doing it on your own for 2 yrs, unlike the new grads"). Something to be said for having an EM program that allows you to moonlight (I know all the programs in NY I had looked at do not.)

Just a little celebrating tonight....got my first choice job offer in North Carolina. Will be employed at a major university affiliate, which means EM3 residents keeping me on my toes at one of my community ER's (1 of 3 sites I'll be working at)! On a tangent: don't let anyone tell you "don't accept your first job offer" and "get all the money you can at sign on (etc)" and "bargan the hell out of your contract." You know what? Take the job that's right for YOU. No one knows YOU like you do. Trust your own judgement. Some people DO accept the first job offer (after doing the necessary research on the hospital, geographical area, etc.) and are very happy there after a number of years (one of my favorite attendings took our residency hospital's ED job as a first offer 30 yrs ago and is still there). As he said to me: I'm the type of person that did my research and decided who I was and what I wanted; I took the first job that was offered to me because it met all those criteria. Amen, I say.

7 more months total with only 2 months of call left and I am DONE!!! woo woo!!! :soexcited:

PS: As far a PHealthMan: any ED resident that is pulling 300 hrs/mo on an ED month is FOS, my friend. Now I'm at 200 (inclu didiactics) + moonlighting (another 40+) as a PGY4/EM3, but even as an EM1 I pulled 240 (inclu didiactics). Obviously whatever EM's your looking at are working too damn hard if they are indeed working 300+/month. :bullcrap: (The only time I work that hard is off service on Trauma or Critical Care services.) We in EM have a tendency to leave the duty hours violations to the Surgery dept. ;) :p

Last edited:
...still on the topic of transition to med sch. I can't wait to begin the application process. I'll be taking PANCE in 2wks then would begin MCAT prep for 4/09.

I don't know if I'm looking for empathy, a pat on the back or just in need of some sleep after a crappy couple of shifts and short-swinging......'ere goes:

My hard work has paid off and I have begun to receive a handfull of acceptances to DO schools (my preference) first shot at the whole process. I had kept the whole decision a secret from my co-workers (why? I don't know...seemed like the best way to stay out of the ER gossip machine), except for one ED Tech - I had happened to see him while taking the MCAT exam...sitting behind me of all places!

This past month, the Tech saw me in the hall and congratulated me, others saw and asked what was up....so, I told them what was/had been going on. I got "oh yeah?" from the nursing staff, and many congrats, etc., from the medical staff. HUH?! not one congrats by ANY nurse? I just don't get it.

One of the other nurses (who, actually I can safely/confidently say, no one actually LIKES because of many reasons - leaving you to hang by yourself with a critical patient or 3 tops the list, trust me) just got into PA school - oh my, we had a banner and a cake and a this and a that for a week on end. Hell, I can't get a lousy "good for you"; just "oh..." I swear...

Re-reading this, I sound catty and awful. I guess I'm just a bit hurt. I've sweat and laughed and cried and sweat some more with these people for years...Nurse Manager is acting wacky too, but that's another story...

Any of you other Nurses-to-Docs get any grief when approaching "short-timer" status at your jobs before school? and, after getting actually 'in' school...how to you feel your transition went/is going?...I'm interested to hear....

Thanks!
(I'll step down off the soapbox now)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 02-14-2001).]

Can I ask you why you want to be a doctor and not a nurse? I'm interested.

nice to hear from u again NurseyK

As you may or may not remember--I was a long time ER PA that went back to med school after reading many or your posts 5 years ago!!! I am applying for residency match now in ER. Thanks for everything. These posts actually do help some people from time to time

well, she made that transition several years ago and is now an attending...go back and read her old posts. It's all there.

Can I ask you why you want to be a doctor and not a nurse? I'm interested.

Bandit, I don't remember where you are at med school...I just interviewed at DMU, LOVED it, and am keeping my fingers crossed for a yes.

nice to hear from u again NurseyK

As you may or may not remember--I was a long time ER PA that went back to med school after reading many or your posts 5 years ago!!! I am applying for residency match now in ER. Thanks for everything. These posts actually do help some people from time to time

I love these old threads and posts where you can track the person through their educational history.

Im also an ER RN considering med school....I definately for sure cannot visualize myself as a RN forever....I thought the gossiping nursing students were bad in nursing school....but that was just the beginning! I couln't wait to graduate only to find out I would be working with one of them....All those nurses with the exception of a few....were also talking so much %$#&...I don't know how in the world they managed to care for their patients....But anyhow I just wanted to ask the former RN's if the gossiping gets better once you're on the other side of the fence i.e. Doctor or even Med Student? Or at least gets a little better?

Holy COW!

I can't believe that I'm still getting e-mails about this thread?! I am truly humbled. :bow:

Just for the record, I've been an EM Attending for the past several years. Moved a few times, got a good job, bought a house with some property.....and still have hubby and the bunnies to keep me grounded. :biglove:

I'm not sure about any other advice I can possibly give, other than the story that was told. Medicine is a tough profession nowadays; cuts in payment as well as record patient volumes can wear you down slowly.

Hardest thing after residency? Remembering how to be a regular human being....

'till later,

K

Congrats on your journey, Doctor NurseyK!! I have just read the entire thread this AM and it is so inspirational. The part about your party and them giving you the monogrammed gifts was so cool. Got a bit misty-eyed :oops: Glad you are still lurking around :love:

Amazing!
Since you've been both a nurse and an MD, what is your view of the working hours and "having a life"?
Is there anything like shift-work for ER docs?
If I may be so bold to ask, what was your age upon entry to medical school and did you have kids to manage at home?

BIG congrats on your BIG achievement!!!:laugh:

Hi All! I was also an ER RN, now finishing up my first year of med school....It can be done :):rolleyes:

wow this thread is like a career novel. it's amazing how much time has passed

Great news, good to hear from everyone who is following their dreams and furthering their educations (especially out of PASSION vs following $$$).

I am a little confused about PRINCEKC taking the PANCE in 2 weeks & who is already prepping to study for MCAT... Why did you go to pa school in the 1st place? Did you just recently change your mind (maybe after being unhappy during your rotations) or did you take "the long/expensive route" on purpose? The only thing that makes sense to me is that you may be intending on applying to a "Bridge Program".??????

My advice to nursing students etc that are asking about people's demeanor in medical school vs nursing:
I think that if gossip is one of your biggest worries, than you need to seek a more challanging education... People are people, no matter where you go...Focus on what is important and hang around people that are happy with themselves. Many areas of medicine will have competitive people, if you spend all of your time and energy on that, then you will probably end up just like the people that are driving you crazy.

Last edited:
I read through this entire thread today, and just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. Cheers!

Apparently there is still lurking out there, given the consistent spattering of PM's I get. Nice to know I inspire..:wow:

Still working. Doing this long enough so far that have 2 society fellow titles/initials after my name.

Political and economic climate be what it is, be VERY careful of your choices (nursing, midlevel, attending). Medicine (esp Emergency Medicine) is turning into a "default" provider. Yes, I said "default" not "safety net." We have a society that WANTS IT NOW, even if they have a regular medical doctor. NO, I am not going to get you an MRI of XXX just because you "want it." Go back to your family doctor. You are a chronic narc abuser and your doctor won't give you narcs? Stop coming to my ER. You or your child has a fever for 1.5 hours, TAKE SOME TYLENOL and get an appt with your doctor, you don't need to come to my ER. Can I say this? NOOOOOOO. I must smile and give the "patron" what they want, as they hold me and my paycheck (oh yes you are reading that right) over a barrel with Press Ganey survey results/comments.

Society has broken down and, as a consequence, so has medicine. We lay beholden to the receipient class and are directed to do "what the customer wants" and "do everything or else" by the threat of the point of a spear (ie: Press Ganey or lawsuit or employment contract), not by what is evidence based, "good" medicine, or even what is just plain ol' "the right thing to do." Just because the customer "wants it" does not make it the right thing to do. But just try to explain that concept to non-medical MBA administration.

The best thing that can come out of the ACA is that they declare us ED docs as "federal employees" due to being beholden to EMTALA. Why is that good? Because that way we EM docs cannot be sued (federal employees cannot be sued) and we can actually say "hey, there is nothing wrong with you go home" without "proving it" with extensive cover-your-ass over-testing.

:wtf: I don't usually rant, but, well, it's been a bad week. :annoyed:

Thanks for indulging me. :bow:

K