Transitional or Preliminary medicine Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kifaru

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past year but I wanted to pick the brains of those that have gone ahead of us.
Whether one does their intern year in a transitional program or a prelim med program, does it make a difference in your ability to become a good (or even a great) anesthesiologist, and/or are there any glaring differences among CA1's who have done either.
I will also throw into this fray the categorical year that most programs now offer.
Thanks,
Kifaru

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. I will say that the advice I was given by our PD at my med school was to take as much medicine as possible in an internship. His reasoning was that medicine covered more of the analytical thinking you needed in the OR.

I greatly respect his opinion and I know he has an excellent reputation in the anesthesia world. I matched at a categorical program so I didn't have a lot of choice.

But seriously, the learning you'll do is probably a lot more dependent on how much you put into it then what kind of program you match into (med, transitional, etc).

Mman said:
Personally, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. I will say that the advice I was given by our PD at my med school was to take as much medicine as possible in an internship. His reasoning was that medicine covered more of the analytical thinking you needed in the OR.

I greatly respect his opinion and I know he has an excellent reputation in the anesthesia world. I matched at a categorical program so I didn't have a lot of choice.

But seriously, the learning you'll do is probably a lot more dependent on how much you put into it then what kind of program you match into (med, transitional, etc).

Thanks for the input Mman