Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all who did a transitional year...

Where did you go? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? and the mother of all questions... why for all of the above?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did my transitional year at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA. I chose the program because I like the volume of county hospitals and the call schedule was really nice. 2 to 3 months of q4 call, otherwise no call or night float. It was a REALLY busy year, and I hated internship while I was there, but in retrospect I learned A LOT. I would recommend the program for a person who is not intimidated by an extremely heavy workload and who is confident to manage patients without a lot of supervision.

Where did you go?
LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah- Location, location, skiiing plus good combination of workload plus education.

Did I like it?
Yes. Good mix of inpatient/outpatient, work hard but not too hard, good elective opportunities, worked at a ski resort for one month, good faculty, treat residents well with a couple of retreat days, fed well etc.

Would I recommend it?
Yes. For the same reasons listed above.

I did my transitional year at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA. I chose the program because I like the volume of county hospitals and the call schedule was really nice. 2 to 3 months of q4 call, otherwise no call or night float. It was a REALLY busy year, and I hated internship while I was there, but in retrospect I learned A LOT. I would recommend the program for a person who is not intimidated by an extremely heavy workload and who is confident to manage patients without a lot of supervision.

Schedule for ACGME transitional interns has been "cushed" since the beginning of this past academic year thanks to lots of feedback from previous year's interns. No love for DO's though. (semi-kidding)