1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

Translating for a PT

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by tortugasninjas, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tortugasninjas

tortugasninjas 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 02.20.16
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Schland

Schland 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Are you saying you were shadowing a PT and he/she asked you to translate a foreign language that the PT did not speak? I don't see that as being bad. My hospital has the following preference for translators: trained staff -> translation hotline -> untrained staff -> friends/family (never minors). Do you intend on putting that on an application?

4. tortugasninjas

tortugasninjas 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 02.20.16
  5. Romazicon

Romazicon 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    I'm Mexican and I work as a PT Tech and do this ALL of the time. I didn't put it in my personal statement though. Instead, I wrote about my life experience and why I wanted to be a PT and talked about my mother going through PT and that I TRANSLATED for HER when she did her rehab... I then spoke about my job... so from there, they can see that I was born in Mexico, spoke spanish, translated for my mom....and work as a PT Tech. I feel like writing a statement down as "I'm experienced in translating" is less appealing than using an example.... BUT by all means... write about that event and how it was a great experience to do that as an observer.

About the ads