Transporting a suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mooster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to take a suit on an airplane? Somehow I don't think stuffing it in a suitcase would turn out too well..

Members don't see this ad.

One idea is to put it in a big suitcase, fold it in half with the suit coat hanger still on, and just lightly put it in there, so that nothing is pressing on it on either side. If your suitcase is smaller put one shoulder inside out and into the other shoulder, to help keep their form. Also, for a smaller suitcase you might want to find a box to put it in by itself that can fit inside the suitcase. Something heavy pressing on it is what causes wrinkles and that is what you want to avoid. Just something my old lady taught me haha.

What is the best way to take a suit on an airplane? Somehow I don't think stuffing it in a suitcase would turn out too well..

I would just fold it up neatly in your suitcase. It will get a bit wrinkled this way, but you can just hang it up in the bathroom and turn the shower on hot and the wrinkles will leave if you get enough steam in the room. I frequently travel with a suit folded up with a suitcase and it is just fine. You can find a bag like this though and carry it as its own carry on, though this won't ensure that it will stay wrinkle free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just carried it on in a cheap tacky plastic bag thing some suits come in. Exposed hangar and all. So classy. I gently folded it placed it on top of my carry-on in the bin. There was no creasing or squishing or some clown putting his luggage on top of it. I was feeling too cheap to get a nice garment carry-on piece of luggage and I wasn't about to check any baggage.

Thanks for all of the advice everybody!

There are special suit bags (Swiss Gear I know makes one) for under $20 that cover the suit, have a hole for a hanger on top, and have pockets for shoes / ties.

There are special suit bags (Swiss Gear I know makes one) for under $20 that cover the suit, have a hole for a hanger on top, and have pockets for shoes / ties.

I didn't bother with this, though a clothing bag would indeed work just fine.

Personally both my J. Crew and Banana Republic suits came with zippable suit bags and hangers. Every time I've ever flown with them I simply asked the flight attendant to place them in the "hanger/suit" area which is often in the First Class cabin, 100% of the time they've complied either neutrally or with enthusiasm.

OP: As I said above, just ask them to hang it for you in the "suit/coat" area (they all have them, unless it's a tiny plane). Just make sure you have one of those bags that zips over your suit and has the little place where the hanger hook pokes out.

Hi,
this is possibly a little random, but i'll go for it...

For my interviews, I've been looking into buying some fabric for my custom suit.

I've found a good price on this: superfine 150s wool cashmere blend (60% cashmere, 35% wool, 5% viscose)

just looking for a second opinion as to whether or not this would be a good suit fabric....