"Trap door" academic medicine

Started by mudshadow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mudshadow

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard that many cardiology fellowship programs will accept internal candidates only if they agree to spend 3 years working as an academic physician post-fellowship. Is this a terrible idea? $$$? Can anyone who encountered this situation comment on how they handled it?
 
Not sure I have ever heard of anyone blatantly telling an internal applicant they had to do this. However, the ABIM research pathway is a little like this...you get a guaranteed spot in exchange for being a cardiology fellow longer. I think some cards programs would definitely be more likely to accept you if they thought you were future faculty material vs. likely to go in to private practice, but I don't know that they will overtly say this to you (or promise you a spot for saying you'll do it). I don't think they could write a fellowship contract so that it included 3 faculty years tacked on the end, either...but I could be wrong.
 
Yeah, I've never heard of anything like this. The program at my IM institution certainly didn't suggest anything of the sort to me when I applied.