1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Travel expenses and interviews

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Coca Cola, May 15, 2007.

1. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member
    7+ Year Member

I am trying to budget for next year's interview travel expenses. How many interviews did you go to and how much did it cost you in the end, including prelims and transitionals?

Late
    Cola

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pjl

pjl ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Went to 10 anesthesia interviews, only local prelim stuff. I would look hard at the categorical matches too, since a fair number of them are geared somewhat towards anesthesia. Others are not so much and kind of suck.

5 driving, 5 flying

Basically they will cost you whatever it costs to get to the city of the interview, as hotels and dinners are for the most part paid for by the program. This will make you very happy when you talk to your friends going into other specialties.

For me the cost of applying/interviewing hit right around 2400. If you can drive everywhere it will be less, if you have to fly everywhere it will be more. Limit your interviews to around 10 unless you really want to see more or have a personality problem.

4. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It can be wildly variable based on how far you cast your net, how many cat v. prelim, and your homebase, which determines whether you fly, and how much those flights cost.

I flew to one, tied two into an away rotation, then did 4 on 3 flight legs with a rented car. Probably spent around $1500.

5. jennyboo

jennyboo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on where you interview. Here's my estimate. I was based in the Northeast and interviewed mostly in the Northeast.

5 trips to Boston
    MGH residency = $14 two-way bus fare + $2.50 subway = $19 (went home, so no hotel stay but they don't pay)
    BID residency = drove there for about $8 gas (went home, so no hotel stay but they don't pay)
    Boston University = drove there for $8 gas, put up in hotel overnight for free
    2 prelims = drove there for total $20 gas

2 trips to New York
    $120 one-way flight from Durham (see below) to NYC
    Cornell + Sinai + NYU = $70 one-way train ticket home (stayed on friend's bedroom floor)
    Columbia = $120 train ticket (stayed on friend's bedroom floor)

1 trip to Connecticut
    $35 gas for entire trip
    $90 for motel room for one night
    Yale paid for one motel room night (out of two) so that was free

1 flight to Philadelphia
    Took a $99 one-way Southwest flight.
    UPenn paid for one night at the Hilton (free).
    I paid for an additional night at the Hilton, ouch! $220.

1 flight to Durham.
    Took a $99 one-way Southwest flight from Philly to here.
    Duke paid for the hotel stay, so the trip for this was free.

Paid for 5 days of airport parking $60.

My grand total? $968. Less than many of my colleagues spent.