Travel or save the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sai111394

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have about 5 k saved up by the time I start medical school in the fall. I’m thinking about traveling around Europe for a month, but I’m not sure if I should save up this 5k in case I need it my first year in school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

$5k is like $1m to me right now.

I am tapped out after this app cycle. Go have fun while you can because you won't have the time after school starts. I would go to OZ if I didn't have all these CCs coming due.

#sojealousofyou

Reactions: 6 users
I would save it, but that's just me. You never know when some unexpected expense is going to crop up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it. 5k is a drop in the bucket compared to the ~180k in debt you're about to have, assuming you'll be taking out full CoA in loans. That's not always a great mindset to have, but sometimes it's worth it.

Orrrrr you can go to Europe for ~2wks.
Still get to travel and you don't spend your entire 5k...Best of both worlds :)

Travel to celebrate but don't go spending all of your money.

I will have about 5 k saved up by the time I start medical school in the fall. I’m thinking about traveling around Europe for a month, but I’m not sure if I should save up this 5k in case I need it my first year in school. Thoughts?
Experiences are worth having. But the security of a nest egg is important to well-being also. Find a way to do both.