Travel Tips for the Interview Trail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When renting a car at LAX, do not, repeat, DO NOT use Advantage Rent-A-Car. If you make the same mistake I did, shunning better known rental companies, you will be praying for death before it's over.

Members don't see this ad.

What happened?

Dude, I used Advantage rent-a-car too in LA.

Two words...they suck (Advantage that is...not UCLA).

Members don't see this ad :)
Neat thread! I was thinking of starting one yesterday entitled "You can never have too many black socks".

Defying Iserson's, the only spot I've found to put a chapstick is a purse. But I suppose you ladies were all smarter than me in this regard, since I remember someone was carrying floss and mints as well! ;)

For those who don't/can't drive -

MSP airport: Super Shuttle goes to and from the airport, door-to-door. They will even pick you up at the hospital! $14 one way, slightly less than double if you buy return.

Charleston: no shuttle going to the airport, Flag-a-cab was the cheapest (independently verified by the youth hostel I was staying at) and they will get you there in time - but boy was that not a direct A to B route.

Just a bit of insight for those of you considering whether or not to purchase the optional rental insurance. I was recently in the Bay area and had the misfortune to have a scooter run into my car. Needless to say I was worried sick because I opted to not purchase the insurance. Fortunately my insurance covers any damages to the vehicle minus my deductable. In addition though, I wasn't aware that Visa -Gold or Platinum- cards provide you additional coverage above and beyond what your insurance covers. This was great news for me. Although the accident wasn't my fault the other driver was uninsured so I'm responsible for my deductable. Visa will be picking that up. So I encourage all of you to do the research before you purchase the optional insurance.

Super Shuttle is great, I used them in Dallas, and for $16 had a trip that would have easily cost $40+ by cab.

http://www.supershuttle.com

Before renting another car, definitely check with you credit card companies about their additional insurance features. My personal rule of thumb is that if the insurance offered by the rental company is optional, then I don't need it, especially if I'm using the old Platinum card (which has been getting quite a workout, lately).

hrtgeek said:
In addition though, I wasn't aware that Visa -Gold or Platinum- cards provide you additional coverage above and beyond what your insurance covers.

Very good advice. My experience is that when I tell the rental agent that I am insured under my own policy and by using the Visa, they still push me to get their insurance. And it's not because they are worried about their cars. They make gobs of money off such policies.

Don't let any agent talk you into the insurance, and always use a gold or platinum credit card for car rentals.

(On a related note, warranties are usually doubled up to one year on electronics purchases. The credit card companies are making so much money that they don't flinch when you make a claim. I have had them cut me a check for a new monitor and CD-ROM drive without really verifying that they were broken. I assume that they are easy to work with on accident claims?)

Oh, and don't forget your wedding ring at the Red Roof Inn in Ann Arbor. They will claim not to have found it. :(

Thanks for the tip about LAX and Advantage. Timely for me, as I will be in LA next week and faced with the Advantage vs. Dollar vs. Budget quandary. ;)

The worst rental car story I had was when my family rented a car from Alamo and the backseats were covered with grease and there were cock-a-roaches in the trunk.

I rented a mustang convertible in Salt Lake City last January for my Utah interview, and it worked well for the first 2 days, drove to Park City, it was great. Then the last night there was a foot of snow and I had to drive to the airport at 4am when the plows had not really done much yet. I never got above 20 mph and still had two spinouts. And I'm an experienced snow driver.

Then there was the time I rented a "midsize" from Alamo in Minneapolis and they gave me a 4 door geo metro. Just because a car has 4 doors doesn't make it a midsize, idiots. The entire time on the highways I felt like that scene in Terminator 2 when Arnold and Linda Hamilton are in some pickup truck they stole from somebody and it won't go above 50 mph and Arnold says, deadpan, This is the vehicle's top speed. That kills me every time. I was on I-494 with old ladies whipping past me repeatedly yelling THIS IS THE VEHICLE'S TOP SPEED at no one in particular.

Defying Iserson's, the only spot I've found to put a chapstick is a purse. But I suppose you ladies were all smarter than me in this regard, since I remember someone was carrying floss and mints as well! ;)

i've carried a zipping portfolio thang from office depot. i think it's pleather. i throw all kinds of stuff in it, including chapstick, because i absolutely can't live without it. it's a crippling addiction, but not as bad as rock.

speaking of crack, be sure to send all yr pals a nice rock for the non-denominational holiday season at http://www.virtualcrack.com . rock for all occasions.

cytoborg said:
Thanks for the tip about LAX and Advantage. Timely for me, as I will be in LA next week and faced with the Advantage vs. Dollar vs. Budget quandary. ;)

Your choice is clear. It began innocently enough, as I was standing beneath the purple "rental car shuttle" sign waiting for an Advantage Rent-A-Car shuttle to arrive. Thirty minutes later, after having watched no less than 900,000 shuttles for every other rental car company pass by, I called my roommate to have him Google "Advantage Rent-A-Car" and "LAX." I was honestly uncertain as to if they operated at said airport.

Just then the shuttle arrived, and the driver took myself and two other lucky souls over to the lot. Intervening was a rather unpleasant encounter between the driver and a very unhappy customer at another terminal. "Eh, customers have no right to lose their f****' tempers like that, eh?"

The Advantage Rent-A-Car lot itself was a hole. A glaring, grimey eyesore with child car seats scattered in the back rooms, boxes and trash lying around, and the uncomfortable air that a drive-by could happen at any moment. They unscrupulously stacked and extra $13.95 in unecessary liability insurance onto my tab (which I thought about pointing out, but then realized that I might get a shiv between the ribs in return), and sent my out in a rattling Mitsubishi Galant. Later I realized that the right headlight was out. I cranked NPR and tried to forget.

When I deposited the car the next day, it took quite awhile to find someone who would take the mileage down and complete the transaction. The computer system (which reminded me of the Apple II's in my middle school) seized and I left without a receipt. That reminds me, I need to call my credit card company and make sure that Advantage Rent-A-Car never gets another cent of my money.

The shuttle back to the terminals was slightly more pleasant, as I silently commiserated with six other people who all looked I did: as if some small piece of out collective innocence had been shattered by our respective encounters with Advantage Rent-A-Car.

So use Budget, Hertz, Thrifty, Avis, Dollar, National, Alamo... use any of them, my friend. And remember, no matter how far over the sink they might bend you, you're better off with them than you are with Advantage.

There are a lot of situations where you want to go with a national name brand and not a local fly-by-night operation. One is car rentals. Another is hotels (avoid places like "Bob's Hotel" and places of that ilk).

There are organizations that provide you with discounts at some national chains - perhaps the AMA? NRMP website may also have something. Worth looking into, anyway.

Recently got back from LA - used Enterprise - no problems.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My medical school received this email so I assumed alot of other people got it as well. Hopefully, its not too late to help out this year. Best of luck. I am a member of AMSA, but when I've used the ID codes no one has asked me to verify my membership. I've had no problems with Alamo and I have used them twice this month in two different cities.

As a fellow interviewee this year, I wanted to share AMSA's benefits to help save you money during your residency interviews:

1) HOTEL DISCOUNTS

Receive 20% off published rack rates at participating Choice Brand Hotels (includes Comfort, Quality, Clarion, Sleep Inn, Mainstay Suites, Econolodge, Rodeway Inn). This discount rate can be obtained by calling 800-258-2847 and requesting rates with ID code T00207670. Advance reservations are required and rates are subject to availability.

2) AIR TRAVEL DISCOUNTS

AMSA has obtained discounted airfare through Northwest Airlines. To use this program you can either call Association Travel Concepts (ATC) or the airline directly. ATC will be able to compare other rates of other airlines in conjunction to the Northwest discount. This program runs through May 31, 2005.

ATC
800-458-9383
Northwest WorldFile#: NM5LH
Mon-Fri, 9:00am-8:30pm EST

Northwest Airlines
800-328-1111
Meeting Services Reservations
WorldFile#: NM5LH
Mon-Fri, 7:30am-7:30pm CT

3) CAR RENTAL DISCOUNTS

Enjoy up to 15% off on Alamo® car rentals. For reservations, contact your travel agent, call Alamo® at 1-800-354-2322 or access their web site at http://www.alamo.com/hotDealsTemplate.do?msg=affil_amsa_offer. * Be sure to request I.D. Number 579186 and Rate code BY at time of reservation. Alamo and National Car Rental work together so if Alamo does not have anything available, you may be referred to National Car Rental.

Brian Palmer, M.D., M.S., M.P.H.

AMSA President

1902 Association Drive

Reston, VA 20191

email: [email protected]

AMSA's 55th Annual Convention

A New Professionalism: Physicians Worthy of the Public Trust

March 16, 2005 http://www.amsa.org/conv/

moxy said:
As a fellow interviewee this year, I wanted to share AMSA's benefits to help save you money during your residency interviews:

Just make sure you check out Orbitz or other similar travel sites to see if the "discount" rates are lower than what you can get on the internet. 20 percent off the rack rate is actually not a good deal.

What's with these hub airports and their moving-coloured-light-shows-in-tunnels-with-weird-semi-musical-accompaniment?

MSP's was pleasant, O'Hare's was wacky and Detroit frankly made me seasick (those blue-green curved glass walls arching above me... tsunami!! :( ) - although the off-kilter sensation might also have been a consequence of sleeping only an hour the night before.

By the way yaah, the anti-pretzel gods must be listening. Northwest gave out... not pretzels, not even peanuts, but Quaker Chewy Wholesome Favourites (my "u") Low-Fat Granola Bars in Baked Apple flavour. On more than one flight.

Some little pretzel-stick factory in Minnesota went out of business??

I only wish granola bars didn't bring the hospital environment to mind.

deschutes said:
What's with these hub airports and their moving-coloured-light-shows-in-tunnels-with-weird-semi-musical-accompaniment?

MSP's was pleasant, O'Hare's was wacky and Detroit frankly made me seasick (those blue-green curved glass walls arching above me... tsunami!! :( ) - although the off-kilter sensation might also have been a consequence of sleeping only an hour the night before.

By the way yaah, the anti-pretzel gods must be listening. Northwest gave out... not pretzels, not even peanuts, but Quaker Chewy Wholesome Favourites (my "u") Low-Fat Granola Bars in Baked Apple flavour. On more than one flight.

Some little pretzel-stick factory in Minnesota went out of business??

I only wish granola bars didn't bring the hospital environment to mind.

The Detroit airport has a monorail - perhaps those were the moving lights? It is a much better aeropuerto than it used to be, at least if you are flying northwest. Other airlines are shuttled through the old terminals which are rather time-warpish in their architecture and design.

Northwest does give granola bars - it depends what time your flight is at. Morning flights=granola bars, sometimes early afternoon as well. They call it a "snack" whereas pretzels are "refreshments."

yaah said:
Northwest does give granola bars - it depends what time your flight is at. Morning flights=granola bars, sometimes early afternoon as well. They call it a "snack" whereas pretzels are "refreshments."
SHENANIGANS! Never heard of such thing!

And beer cost $5 on planes? Why God WHY?

AndyMilonakis said:
SHENANIGANS! Never heard of such thing!

And beer cost $5 on planes? Why God WHY?

Cue sweet voice with midwestern accent: Beer and cocktails may be purchased for five dollars. I have yet to get alcohol on a plane ride, but there is something appealing about those little bottles.

Did I tell you about the thing airport bars do if you order too much alcohol? Andy this may be relevant for you - they mark on your boarding pass so it flags the airline that you may be a problem. I solved that by just going from bar to bar. Delay my flight, why don't you.

yaah said:
Did I tell you about the thing airport bars do if you order too much alcohol? Andy this may be relevant for you - they mark on your boarding pass so it flags the airline that you may be a problem. I solved that by just going from bar to bar. Delay my flight, why don't you.
Hmm...interesting. Never happened to me. I was stuck in Chicago for over 4 hours and I hung out in the bar and drank an amount of beer that would probably get you sloshed.

Do you turn red when you drink? No wait...lemme guess...you get really belligerent and shout out obscenities in German. Is that why they mark your boarding pass?

Seriously though, this may be hard to believe but usually when I go to airports, I DON'T head straight to the bar. Once I got there earlier than usual so I had lunch. With the lunch I had 2 beers. No more. No less. 5 is too many (reference?). 3 would've been enough. But no mark on my ticket. But unlike you, I'm a peaceful drunk.

AndyMilonakis said:
Hmm...interesting. Never happened to me. I was stuck in Chicago for over 4 hours and I hung out in the bar and drank an amount of beer that would probably get you sloshed.

Do you turn red when you drink? No wait...lemme guess...you get really belligerent and shout out obscenities in German. Is that why they mark your boarding pass?

Seriously though, this may be hard to believe but usually when I go to airports, I DON'T head straight to the bar. Once I got there earlier than usual so I had lunch. With the lunch I had 2 beers. No more. No less. 5 is too many (reference?). 3 would've been enough. But no mark on my ticket. But unlike you, I'm a peaceful drunk.

Nope, I didn't get my ticket marked. But the guy next to me at the bar did, and he was far from what I would call drunk. He was sitting there reading his newspaper and watching the game. Albeit into his 4th glass of Heineken, but apparently not sloshed. I only had one at that bar. Then went to another for another.

I am not a violent drunk. I don't get mean or nasty or even more flirty. In fact, nothing much happens except I just talk more.

AndyMilonakis said:
With the lunch I had 2 beers. No more. No less. 5 is too many (reference?).

I think the correct quote is: "Five is right out."

When you get sauced in an airport bar, how do the authorities get your ticket to mark it? What will they do if you refuse to hand it over?

RyMcQ said:
I think the correct quote is: "Five is right out."

When you get sauced in an airport bar, how do the authorities get your ticket to mark it? What will they do if you refuse to hand it over?

Touche, RyMcQ. Touche.

OK, I still can't believe this marking the ticket thing. I think yaah hallucinates when he drinks.

yaah said:
The Detroit airport has a monorail - perhaps those were the moving lights?
Na-ah, I was on the Concourse A monorail. I don't get seasick from monorails. This was a moving light and glass show, with glass art made in Minnesota and original music composed in Ohio. I'm not making this up! For the itinerant travellers amongst us, it's between Concourse A, and Concourses B & C. You'll know it when you see it. It's like nothing else.

I liked the new wing. Architecture is a curious thing - I wonder how long before people in the future look back and say, "What on earth were those guys trying to do??"

(Can definitely see that being said about tsunami-tunnel...)

AndyMilonakis said:
OK, I still can't believe this marking the ticket thing. I think yaah hallucinates when he drinks.

Man near me at bar: I'll have another one please.
Waitress: OK - can I see your boarding pass please?
Man: Um..ok. Why?
Waitress: It's just something we have to do now. takes boarding pass at marks it up someway. Hands it back.

I did not hallucinate this.

deschutes said:
Na-ah, I was on the Concourse A monorail. I don't get seasick from monorails. This was a moving light and glass show, with glass art made in Minnesota and original music composed in Ohio. I'm not making this up! For the itinerant travellers amongst us, it's between Concourse A, and Concourses B & D. You'll know it when you see it. It's like nothing else.

I liked the new wing. Architecture is a curious thing - I wonder how long before people in the future look back and say, "What on earth were those guys trying to do??"

(Can definitely see that being said about tsunami-tunnel...)
Haven't seen such thing, this light and glass show she speaks of that is. Have you yaah?

deschutes be takin' some funky shrooms.

yaah said:
Man near me at bar: I'll have another one please.
Waitress: OK - can I see your boarding pass please?
Man: Um..ok. Why?
Waitress: It's just something we have to do now. takes boarding pass at marks it up someway. Hands it back.

I did not hallucinate this.
clearly you and deschutes go to the same dealer.

AndyMilonakis said:
Haven't seen such thing, this light and glass show she speaks of that is.
Seek and ye shall find.

Do not forget, that one of us spends more time drunk than un-drunk... clearly it isn't me with the perceptual changes. :p

deschutes said:
Seek and ye shall find.

Do not forget, that one of us spends more time drunk than un-drunk... clearly it isn't me with the perceptual changes. :p

oh geez, i hope you're not implying that i'm a drunk. i never get drunk. i'm a good responsible boy who never gives in to indiscretions.

i flew into detroit last night actually...still didn't see the lights. and people were commending me for walking so straight and reeking of soberness.

AndyMilonakis said:
i flew into detroit last night actually...
So did I. Caught my connecting flight with 2 minutes to go.

I didn't see the glass this time, but since I didn't have to go to or from Concourses B/C that was only to be expected.

deschutes said:
So did I. Caught my connecting flight with 2 minutes to go.

I didn't see the glass this time, but since I didn't have to go to or from Concourses B/C that was only to be expected.
Wow very nice...I almost missed my connecting flight in BWI since my previous flight got delayed by an hour and a half before I got on the plane and then another hour sitting on my bum inside the plane. it's a good think i somehow planned for a 4 hour layover at BWI...but yeah, it was close for me too.

so i'm really curious now. seriously, humorous name-calling aside, where exactly IS this light/glass show you speak of?

Quoting myself...
deschutes said:
This was a moving light and glass show, with glass art made in Minnesota and original music composed in Ohio. I'm not making this up! For the itinerant travellers amongst us, it's between Concourse A, and Concourses B & C.
I read the Ohio/Minnesota workmanship part off a plaque at the beginning of the "moving walkway" in the tunnel. That was just a little too concrete to be made up.

AndyMilonakis said:
...and then another hour sitting on my bum inside the plane.
The plane was taking an awful long time to get from the gate to the tarmac on one of my early-morning 2+ hour flights, and after what seemed like forever the pilot got on the PA and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, despite what you may think, we are not driving to the Twin cities."

deschutes said:
This was a moving light and glass show, with glass art made in Minnesota and original music composed in Ohio. I'm not making this up! For the itinerant travellers amongst us, it's between Concourse A, and Concourses B & C.

Ah ha! No wonder I didn't see it. I've never had to transfer from one concourse to another in DTW. I usually fly Northwest so I usually stick with concourse A.

AndyMilonakis said:
I've never had to transfer from one concourse to another in DTW. I usually fly Northwest so I usually stick with concourse A.
My bum is on a Northwest plane for something like 95% of my flights. I think it's my more exotic locales :)

[Edit]A friend who lives in MI phoned me today, and without any suggestion on my part asked if I had seen a particular portion of DTW that made her feel like she'd been warped back to the 60's and was on pot.

Just felt compelled to inform the world.

tunnel.jpg

detroit_airport.jpg

821025_detroit-airport.JPG

That looks like O'Hare and not Detroit - haven't seen anything like that in Detroit.

BTW - aren't pictures of terminals illegal?

BTW yaah, I tested your hypothesis regarding getting your ticket marked after having whatever many drinks while waiting for my connecting flight into San Fran. 5 beers in 2 hours...and lo and behold they DID mark my ticket!!!

Stupid bastards...they didn't know that when I print my boarding pass from home, I print out TWO copies of it. So I just threw the marked ticket away.

It is a little over the top, isn't it.

O'Hare is just neon streaks - doesn't make the bile rise quite as high:
ohare_tunnel_3185.jpg

The pix aren't mine - I was only guilty of putting "detroit (or o'hare) airport tunnel" into Google Images :p

Oh, and I would really liked to have added MSP to complete the triad of unoriginality, but I can't seem to turn any shots of that tunnel up!

AndyMilonakis said:
BTW yaah, I tested your hypothesis regarding getting your ticket marked after having whatever many drinks while waiting for my connecting flight into San Fran. 5 beers in 2 hours...and lo and behold they DID mark my ticket!!!

Stupid bastards...they didn't know that when I print my boarding pass from home, I print out TWO copies of it. So I just threw the marked ticket away.

Wow...I think the TSA needs to put a stop to this practice of being able to print out multiple tickets. Not for the drinking angle, but just because it seems really suspect.

See? I was right! All y'all making fun of me.

yaah said:
Wow...I think the TSA needs to put a stop to this practice of being able to print out multiple tickets. Not for the drinking angle, but just because it seems really suspect.

See? I was right! All y'all making fun of me.
Yes...you were correct. Stupid me.

You must feel pretty damn smart now. Wanna cookie? perhaps some chocolate milk on the side?