Travelling pharmacist - Is it worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

givingin999

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently moved from one saturated location to another (currently the Bay Area of CA) and am struggling to get anything other than contract work. I understand the area is oversaturated (at least by mouth that is what is said), but when I look online it seems every pharmacist position is posted at hospitals. I'm not sure if anyone knows any information about those postings, but I was hoping to get some insight on how to get an interview for these positions.

Also, I have been trying to avoid flying out to places as a travel pharmacist for 6 month contracts in areas that I know I would never live. The problem with oversaturation where I want to live is they want RECENT experience which I don't have (probably part of the problem in the previous paragraph). Does anyone think that flying to a city every week is worth the pay and aggravation? I currently have a place to live in the Bay area so the contract company would pay my hotel/housing. I also have a dog I would have to leave behind every week :'( which is the main reason I wouldn't want to stay there indefinitely for the 6 months.

I'm currently between contracts and was hoping for some advice from locals or others that may have faced this problem recently. Thanks in advance!