Treating COVID pre and post intubation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any evidence PT/OT makes a difference?
It does, in other ARDS patients, for ICU stay and recovery purposes. Good luck convincing the PT to do her job.

Members don't see this ad.

A malaria drug widely touted by President Donald Trump for treating the new coronavirus showed no benefit in a large analysis of its use in U.S. veterans hospitals. There were more deaths among those given hydroxychloroquine versus standard care, researchers reported.
CONCLUSIONS:
In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs.

@FFP Have you seen the actual manuscript? I only ask because I'm curious how the decided who got the HCQ vs SOC...And what happened to the other 100+ people in the study? I'd look it up but am bouncing between hospitals at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
@FFP Have you seen the actual manuscript? I only ask because I'm curious how the decided who got the HCQ vs SOC...And what happened to the other 100+ people in the study? I'd look it up but am bouncing between hospitals at the moment.
The manuscript was linked to inside that article.

It was a retrospective study, so take it with a lot of grains of salt. But, usually, if not even a retrospective study (on ALL male patients with Covid at ALL VA hospitals) can show a difference, this ain't a miracle drug.

But how will you get the FP intern's vast ICU knowledge now?
I will have to forgo it, because it cannot be separated from the FP intern's vast ego. Keep it up, and he'll be a dangerous physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user
I want to add something to the appropriateness of ARDSnet debate

ARDS has never been defined by the compliance and the ARDS net study has never claimed to be able to tell the best way to set PEEP (the PEEP tables were just suggestions and optional). All the study shows is the benefits of lung protective ventilation.

It has always been necessary to individualise PEEP to the patient. ARDS net does not equal high PEEP and never has.