Are we actually treating ARDS in ventilated COVID-19 patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BicepsTriceps

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Severe ARDS mortality is 45%.

The mortality of COVID patients requiring mechanical ventilation approaches 80% according to couple of reports in addition to what I think most of you dealing with these patients are experiencing.

Lung compliance in COVID patients, unlike ARDS, is really quite good! Driving pressure is low and despite high PEEP plateue pressure barely reaches 30.

COVID patients are tolerating hypoxia, talkative and interactive with SpO2 in low 80%. Their work of breathing isn't bad given I think the good compliance.

Classic ARDS management which is being applied to COVID patients involves:
High sedation and paralytic from the get go.
High PEEP and 100% FiO2.

Even then they're barely saturating enough and most will be proned shortly.

Most of these patients who got electively intubated after failing NC 6 L oxygen or NRB 15 L oxygen shouldn't require this amount of PEEP and FiO2 to oxygynate but yet they do! So what's going on here exactly?

Some hypothesize that COVID lung disease acts like high altitude pulmonary edema.

Some say there might be pulmonary hypertension.

Others mentioned hemoglobinopathy.

What I'm almost sure of now is that we're not treating classic ARDS.

We're treating COVID associated lung injury and hypoxia which is yet to be fully defined.

I think personally that high PEEP is killing these people (80% mortality rate vs 45%).

What I would do, leave patients on high flow oxygen as long as they're awake, interactive and mentally appropriate regardless of SpO2.

I'd intubate if I see signs of tissue hypoxia (Lethargy).

I'd give minimal sedation, use higher Tv, at least 8 cc per IBW to avoid giving the patients the incentive to fight the ventilator.

Give 100% FiO2 and the minimal PEEP possible to achieve SpO2 >80% (Hypothetical number).

Allow those patients to breath on their own with support.

Never paralyze.

And see what happens ... Because clearly our current classic ARDS management is doing way more harm than good.

I understand the risk of aerosoles with high flow oxygen and whatnot.

Listen to this and check out the attached PDFs.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• BetaHg.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 121
  • NotTypicalARDS.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Acetazolamide.pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you may have a study in your hands. If you are in a large enough center, maybe you could make this happen?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

The mortality of COVID patients requiring mechanical ventilation approaches 80% according to couple of reports in addition to what I think most of you dealing with these patients are experiencing.

Lung compliance in COVID patients, unlike ARDS, is really quite good! Driving pressure is low and despite high PEEP plateue pressure barely reaches 30.

COVID patients are tolerating hypoxia, talkative and interactive with SpO2 in low 80%. Their work of breathing isn't bad given I think the good compliance.

High PEEP and 100% FiO2.

Most of these patients who got electively intubated after failing NC 6 L oxygen or NRB 15 L oxygen shouldn't require this amount of PEEP and FiO2 to oxygynate but yet they do! So what's going on here exactly?

Some hypothesize that COVID lung disease acts like high altitude pulmonary edema.

We're treating COVID associated lung injury and hypoxia which is yet to be fully defined.

I think personally that high PEEP is killing these people (80% mortality rate vs 45%).

What I would do, leave patients on high flow oxygen as long as they're awake, interactive and mentally appropriate regardless of SpO2.

I'd give minimal sedation, use higher Tv, at least 8 cc per IBW to avoid giving the patients the incentive to fight the ventilator.

Give 100% FiO2 and the minimal PEEP possible to achieve SpO2 >80% (Hypothetical number).

Never paralyze.

And see what happens ... Because clearly our current classic ARDS management is doing way more harm than good.

We have been also been using lower PEEP and 8 ml/kg for most patients. Have extubated a couple successfully.

Not sure if should be trying more high-flow rather than going straight to tube? No one really seems to know. Also the concern for aerosol is scaring everyone.

We have been also been using lower PEEP and 8 ml/kg for most patients. Have extubated a couple successfully.

Not sure if should be trying more high-flow rather than going straight to tube? No one really seems to know. Also the concern for aerosol is scaring everyone.
Are you sedating and paralyzing everyone or letting them breath on their own?

I'm a resident in a community hospital :(

You will never get this approved by an IRB. And standard care has adjusted so much that vented pts will continue to be placed on 4-8mL/kg and likely have prep titrated similarly to the low and high peep table from the ARDSnet data.

I will still be calling this ARDS, until newer histology data delineates the physiology further. The only reported histology I’ve seen was last week from pts who got covid but had lung biopsies for malignancy reasons. They reported edema, protenaceous exudate and hyperplasia of the pneumocystis, inflammatory cellular infiltration, and fibroblastic plugs, which doesn’t sound that different that what is seen in the early stages of ARDS. I suspect that much of what we see on covid will be consistent with DAD or other pulm inflammatory responses with minor differences which I’m guessing may be related to blunting of lymphocytic response given lymphopenia but have no data to back that up. Given the reported inflammatory changes, you’re going to be hard pressed to see any changes in ventilators strategies as frankly, what other strategies are there if you can’t oxygenate which aren’t variations of manipulating MAP to increase oxygenation.

Yay you plan on leaving on high flow until they pass out. But......That’s typically a poor strategy as that leaves you no margin of error on getting a secure airway and increases the likelihood of coding.

High PEEP and 100% FiO2.

Never paralyze.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, that's really good stuff from a resident, but you have to realize that you may have a bias with PEEP. People who are sicker, and who will have higher mortality, will also be on higher PEEP. Now we could debate how high one can go before damaging alveoli or causing hypotension. Also, these people have both ARDS and something else, until proven otherwise. And the fact that the mortality (and post-ARDS morbidity) is high even in other ARDS syndromes suggests that we still don't know how to properly treat ARDS.

I think we should consider "permissive hypoxemia" in these patients, as long as we don't see end-organ damage, especially in the brain/heart/kidneys. There is clearly a right shift of the O2-Hgb dissociation curve. Intubation can produce more harm than good in many patients, not just in this disease. Keeping patients AWAKE is PRICELESS. Mental status is the best reassurance that a low oxygen saturation is still fine, and that we are in a good place. Blindly chasing numbers has always harmed patients, regardless of disease. If the patient is awake, mentating well and LOOKS good, the patient is FINE, even if the O2 sat shows 0%. (I am exaggerating on purpose.)

Also, I have said it before, many times: medicine is not cooking. Guidelines are not recipes; doctors have brains and are supposed to use them, not just blindly apply algorithms. We are not easily replaceable trained monkeys. It's sad that internal medicine has gone down the toilet to the point that people are following guidelines blindly (it was one of the reasons I chose anesthesia despite loving IM). But critical care is experimental medicine, applied (patho)physiology, so watch the patient not just your books.

And don't do harm, i.e. don't do stuff you have no idea about. Don't just do something, stand there! That applies to intubation, to VT, to PEEP, to everything. The human body is usually a better doctor than any of us, and we should only intervene if we are convinced that we are making the patient better (e.g. intubate only lethargic patients, allow the fever to run its natural course if the patient can tolerate it etc.). Don't just do knee-jerk stuff because your favorite book or dogma says so; watch the patient, talk to the patient, examine the patient. And use ultrasound; the stethoscope has become a nursing tool.

Just because a lot of people do the same wrong thing (e.g. intubate early) it doesn't make it right, just "standard of care". Do the right thing for your patients. Advocate for them. If the patient is obviously doing better with a certain treatment, despite "evidence"-based medicine, then the patient is right, not the book. Most guidelines are based on expert opinions, not strong irrefutable evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 users
Are you sedating and paralyzing everyone or letting them breath on their own?

Everyone is getting standard sedation (fentanyl +/- propofol or dex). We are having some difficulty keeping sedation 'light' but not sure if it's a real trend.
Only paralyzed if very hypoxemic and/or getting proned, no different than usual.

Anyone here using high flow successfully? If so, only in negative pressure rooms? This seems to be the current recommendation but is rate-limiting for and us and I would imagine most other places.

Anyone try Weingart's CPAP mask/BVM setup as a substitute for high-flow (eg not just for preoxygenation for a tube)? Seems like a low risk for aerosol but not sure how well tolerated it is.

I just want to ask people in the front lines. Are people using high PEEPs on these patients? Doesn't seem like they would be, but since we are treating ARDS type of patients are people doing it anyway, even if they don't need it? I hope not.

I just want to ask people in the front lines. Are people using high PEEPs on these patients? Doesn't seem like they would be, but since we are treating ARDS type of patients are people doing it anyway, even if they don't need it? I hope not.

The group of pts we’ve tubed for this universally end up with high peeps as they don’t oxygenate well otherwise. it’s still early in the pandemic where I’m at but my group has had over 20 confirmed cases on the vent so far.

The group of pts we’ve tubed for this universally end up with high peeps as they don’t oxygenate well otherwise. it’s still early in the pandemic where I’m at but my group has had over 20 confirmed cases on the vent so far.
And this is 100% FiO2? Because a lot of what this guy is saying makes so much sense. Are we just treating numbers? And intubating too early and then causing more damage in the long run? Because we are scared of aerolization?

My personal experience is that most that end up needing intubation actually do need intubation but there is definitely a little bit of number treating going on because of the aerosolization concerns and initial anecdotal evidence against using NIV and HFNC. The ones I have had are needing moderate to high PEEP to oxygenate also.

High PEEP and 100% FiO2.

Never paralyze.

I don't think this is ARDS. BAL is lymphocytic. Early histopathology does not show DAD. Compliance is good. ARDS doesn't develop until much later in the piece, if at all. COVaLI ("co-valley," COVID associated lung injury) meets Berlin Criteria for ARDS, but it's probably a different disease process entirely.

And PEEP does not treat ARDS. Nothing treats ARDS. All proven therapies work either by 1) salvaging physiology to buy time (like proning or ECMO) or 2) not doing dumb things with the ventilator (like high tidal volumes). That's it.

There's nothing magical about PEEP. PEEP works by reducing ventilator-induced atelectotrauma (which aggrevates ARDS) or improving oxygenation (but only in PEEP-responders, who aren't shunting away too much blood). But more PEEP does not make ARDS better. There is no dose-response curve.

In fact, there really have been NO proven therapies for ARDS apart from low tidal volumes, proning, ECMO, and best supportive care. ROSE-PETAL called into question NMB. Maybe there's a role for permissive oxygenation as per LOCO2. There's some questionable evidence for methylprednisone with the Meduri protocol. But certainly high PEEP has never been shown to CONSISTENTLY save lives in ARDS. This has been studied and debunked. Even lung recruitment probably causes more harm than good when applied blindly.

The point is this: you only use PEEP when it makes sense physiologically with the patient in front of you. High PEEP should never be used in all-comers.

It's very interesting I came across this post at the same time I got this email from my British colleagues that I'll share in full below (happy for dissemination).

“Dear All,

I have just finished a very useful ICU / NHS Nightingale teleconference, the aim of which was to consolidate experiences about CV19 and how best to manage the disease. I have provided a summary below. Please understand that the information is experience, not evidence. I think it highlights a number of areas that we need to discuss URGENTLY as a group. The take home message is that advice given at the beginning of this journey needs to be adapted as we learn more about CV19. The other important thing to begin to understand is that this disease has distinct phases and treatment will differ as patients move through these phases.

The call had about 80 people on it, most listening. There were about ten “experts” invited to speak, from high volume centres. I represented our site. Others included Georges, GSST & Brompton.

Ventilation
- Early high PEEP is probably not the right strategy and may be harmful. This is not ARDS in the early phase of the illness.
- Avoid spontaneous ventilation early in ICU admission as also may be harmful.
- There is clear microvascular thrombosis happening in the pulmonary circulation, which leads to an increased dead space.
- Also some evidence of early pulmonary fibrosis reported from Italy, possibly oxygen related, possibly inflammation related.
- Not many patients have reached extubation yet in London, re-intubation seems to be common. I highlighted our experiences of airway swelling / stridor / reintubation.
- Brompton are seeing wedge infarcts in the lungs on imaging, along with pulmonary thrombosis without DVT.
- Proning is essential and should be done early. Don’t just do it once. Threshold for many centres is a PF ratio of 13, but all agreed, do it even earlier.
- Early on in the disease, the benefit of proning lasts < 4 hours when turned back to supine, as the disease progresses into a more ARDS type picture, the effect is more long lasting.
- Many centres using inhaled nitric oxide and prostacyclin with good effect. Tachyphylaxis with NO after 4-5 days.
- Generally people are using humidified circuits with HMEs.
- A very interesting thing they are doing at Georges is cohorting by phase of disease i.e. early, late, extubation / trachy. It involves more moving of patients but helps each team to focus on things more easily.
- Leak test before extubation is crucial, others are also seeing airway swelling.
- Wait longer than usual before extubating, high reintubation rates reported. Do not extubatne if inflam markers still high.

My conclusions from this are:
- Less aggressive PEEP strategy at the beginning of the disease and go straight for proning.
- Thromboembolic disease is prevalent, look for it. No one is sure about whether we should anti-coagulate everyone, this is probably too risky.
- An extubation protocol is needed immediately.
- We should consider using inhaled prostacyclin again (like we previously did) as it seems to be working early in the disease.

Fluid balance
- All centres agreed that we are getting this wrong.
- Most patients come to ICU after a few days of illness where their temp was 38-40 and they were hyperventilating i.e. severely dehydrated.
- High rates of AKI being caused by over zealous driving with frusemide, leading to unnecessary CVVHF.
- Hypovolaemia leads to poor pulmonary perfusion and increased dead space.
- Centres echo’ing their patients are seeing a lot of RV dysfunction without raised PA pressure.
- Many have improved oliguria by dropping the PEEP i.e. these patients are really hypovolaemic.
[On nights I have observed many of our patients with a zero fluid balance and temperature of 39 i.e. they will be 2-3 litres negative in reality.]
- Most centres are therefore now backing off of strict zero balance, particularly in hyperpyrexia. They are moving more towards avoidance of large positive fluid balance.
- Lung ‘leak’ not as prominent in this disease as classic ARDS

- Avoid hypovolaemia as it will impede gas exchange and cause AKI. Progression to CVVHF increases mortality.
- Avoid hypervolaemia
- How we achieve this is difficult, but the frusemide and noradrenaline cocktail needs to be carefully tailored, especially in pyrexial patients.
- Echo patients to understand their volume status.

Renal
- Higher than predicted need for CVVHF - ? Due to excess hypovolaemia.
- Microthrombi in kidneys probably also contributing to AKI.
- CVVHF circuits clot frequently. Georges and Kings now fully anticoagulant the patient (rather than the circuit) as it is the only way they can prevent this. One centre using full dose LMWH as they have run out of pumps.
- Kings now beginning acute peritoneal dialysis as running out of CVVHF machines.

- Aggressive anticoagulant strategy required for CVVHF, potentially systemic.
- If we run out of machines, PD may / may not help (our previous experiences with it are not great, but I have no alternative other than using CVVHF like intermittent dialysis and sharing machines)

Workforce
- A ’tactical commander’ is essential on every shift, who is not directly responsible the care of ICU patients.
- Most centres now getting towards 1:6 nursing ratio with high level of support workers on ICU.
- Training has largely fallen by the wayside as it is too large a task. People are being trained on the job.

- On call consultant to coordinate but not be responsible for patients (as is the model we have now adopted).
- We need one support worker per patient. Other centres are using everyone they have. From med students to dental hygienists. We are behind the curve ++ with this. Last time I was on a night shift, theatres were full of non-medical staff refusing to help ICU - this is unacceptable.

There were some brief discussion about CPAP:
- Proning patients on CPAP on the ward is very effective, I tried it the other day - worked wonders.
- Prolonged use of CPAP may (I stress the word may) lead to patients being more systemically unwell when they get to ICU.
- Considerable oxygen supply issues with old school CPAP systems.

- As per local guidelines, assess the effectiveness of CPAP after an hour, if it isn’t effective then bail out and consider intubation.
- If effective, regular review is required. If at any point it is failing, bail out and consider ventilation.
- Whilst we may have a shortage of ventilators, holding people indefinitely on CPAP may be short-sighted as it may be converting single organ failure into multiple organ failure.

OK, that’s all I have.

I will stress again that this is simply a summary of discussions, none of which are backed up by large, robust multi-centre RCTs.

My conclusions after each section are nothing more than suggestions to be discussed.

We need to adapt fast to what we learn about this disease and learn from our colleagues at other centre. We are all in this together and joined up thinking is required.

Lastly, we desperately need to look at our own data to understand whether we are getting this right or not.

Good luck, stay stay safe and be kind to one another.

Dan
Daniel Martin OBE
Macintosh Professor of Anaesthesia
Intensive Care Lead for High Consequence Infectious Diseases
Royal Free Hospital
London

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And this is 100% FiO2? Because a lot of what this guy is saying makes so much sense. Are we just treating numbers? And intubating too early and then causing more damage in the long run? Because we are scared of aerolization?

Correct. 100% fio2, no one in my group I’ve ever seen blindly follow the peep titration tables.

I don't think this is ARDS. BAL is lymphocytic. Early histopathology does not show DAD. Compliance is good. ARDS doesn't develop until much later in the piece, if at all. COVaLI ("co-valley," COVID associated lung injury) meets Berlin Criteria for ARDS, but it's probably a different disease process entirely.

And PEEP does not treat ARDS. Nothing treats ARDS. All proven therapies work either by 1) salvaging physiology to buy time (like proning or ECMO) or 2) not doing dumb things with the ventilator (like high tidal volumes). That's it.

There's nothing magically about PEEP. PEEP works by reducing ventilator-induced atelectotrauma (which aggrevates ARDS) or improving oxygenation (but only in PEEP-responders, who aren't shunting away too much blood). But more PEEP does not make ARDS better. There is no dose-response curve.

In fact, there really have been NO proven therapies for ARDS apart from low tidal volumes, proning, ECMO, and best supportive care. ROSE-PETAL called into question NMB. Maybe there's a role for permissive oxygenation as per LOCO2. There's some questionable evidence for methylprednisone with the Meduri protocol. But certainly high PEEP has never been shown to CONSISTENTLY save lives in ARDS. This has been studied and debunked. Even lung recruitment probably causes more harm than good when applied blindly.

The point is this: you only use PEEP when it makes sense physiologically with the patient in front of you. High PEEP should never be used in all-comers.

It's very interesting I came across this post at the same time I got this email from my British colleagues that I'll share in full below (happy for dissemination).

“Dear All,

I have just finished a very useful ICU / NHS Nightingale teleconference, the aim of which was to consolidate experiences about CV19 and how best to manage the disease. I have provided a summary below. Please understand that the information is experience, not evidence. I think it highlights a number of areas that we need to discuss URGENTLY as a group. The take home message is that advice given at the beginning of this journey needs to be adapted as we learn more about CV19. The other important thing to begin to understand is that this disease has distinct phases and treatment will differ as patients move through these phases.

The call had about 80 people on it, most listening. There were about ten “experts” invited to speak, from high volume centres. I represented our site. Others included Georges, GSST & Brompton.

Ventilation
- Early high PEEP is probably not the right strategy and may be harmful. This is not ARDS in the early phase of the illness.
- Avoid spontaneous ventilation early in ICU admission as also may be harmful.
- There is clear microvascular thrombosis happening in the pulmonary circulation, which leads to an increased dead space.
- Also some evidence of early pulmonary fibrosis reported from Italy, possibly oxygen related, possibly inflammation related.
- Not many patients have reached extubation yet in London, re-intubation seems to be common. I highlighted our experiences of airway swelling / stridor / reintubation.
- Brompton are seeing wedge infarcts in the lungs on imaging, along with pulmonary thrombosis without DVT.
- Proning is essential and should be done early. Don’t just do it once. Threshold for many centres is a PF ratio of 13, but all agreed, do it even earlier.
- Early on in the disease, the benefit of proning lasts < 4 hours when turned back to supine, as the disease progresses into a more ARDS type picture, the effect is more long lasting.
- Many centres using inhaled nitric oxide and prostacyclin with good effect. Tachyphylaxis with NO after 4-5 days.
- Generally people are using humidified circuits with HMEs.
- A very interesting thing they are doing at Georges is cohorting by phase of disease i.e. early, late, extubation / trachy. It involves more moving of patients but helps each team to focus on things more easily.
- Leak test before extubation is crucial, others are also seeing airway swelling.
- Wait longer than usual before extubating, high reintubation rates reported. Do not extubatne if inflam markers still high.

- Less aggressive PEEP strategy at the beginning of the disease and go straight for proning.
- Thromboembolic disease is prevalent, look for it. No one is sure about whether we should anti-coagulate everyone, this is probably too risky.
- An extubation protocol is needed immediately.
- We should consider using inhaled prostacyclin again (like we previously did) as it seems to be working early in the disease.

Fluid balance
- All centres agreed that we are getting this wrong.
- Most patients come to ICU after a few days of illness where their temp was 38-40 and they were hyperventilating i.e. severely dehydrated.
- High rates of AKI being caused by over zealous driving with frusemide, leading to unnecessary CVVHF.
- Hypovolaemia leads to poor pulmonary perfusion and increased dead space.
- Centres echo’ing their patients are seeing a lot of RV dysfunction without raised PA pressure.
- Many have improved oliguria by dropping the PEEP i.e. these patients are really hypovolaemic.
[On nights I have observed many of our patients with a zero fluid balance and temperature of 39 i.e. they will be 2-3 litres negative in reality.]
- Most centres are therefore now backing off of strict zero balance, particularly in hyperpyrexia. They are moving more towards avoidance of large positive fluid balance.
- Lung ‘leak’ not as prominent in this disease as classic ARDS

- Avoid hypovolaemia as it will impede gas exchange and cause AKI. Progression to CVVHF increases mortality.
- Avoid hypervolaemia
- How we achieve this is difficult, but the frusemide and noradrenaline cocktail needs to be carefully tailored, especially in pyrexial patients.
- Echo patients to understand their volume status.

Renal
- Higher than predicted need for CVVHF - ? Due to excess hypovolaemia.
- Microthrombi in kidneys probably also contributing to AKI.
- CVVHF circuits clot frequently. Georges and Kings now fully anticoagulant the patient (rather than the circuit) as it is the only way they can prevent this. One centre using full dose LMWH as they have run out of pumps.
- Kings now beginning acute peritoneal dialysis as running out of CVVHF machines.

- Aggressive anticoagulant strategy required for CVVHF, potentially systemic.
- If we run out of machines, PD may / may not help (our previous experiences with it are not great, but I have no alternative other than using CVVHF like intermittent dialysis and sharing machines)

Workforce
- A ’tactical commander’ is essential on every shift, who is not directly responsible the care of ICU patients.
- Most centres now getting towards 1:6 nursing ratio with high level of support workers on ICU.
- Training has largely fallen by the wayside as it is too large a task. People are being trained on the job.

- On call consultant to coordinate but not be responsible for patients (as is the model we have now adopted).
- We need one support worker per patient. Other centres are using everyone they have. From med students to dental hygienists. We are behind the curve ++ with this. Last time I was on a night shift, theatres were full of non-medical staff refusing to help ICU - this is unacceptable.

There were some brief discussion about CPAP:
- Proning patients on CPAP on the ward is very effective, I tried it the other day - worked wonders.
- Prolonged use of CPAP may (I stress the word may) lead to patients being more systemically unwell when they get to ICU.
- Considerable oxygen supply issues with old school CPAP systems.

- As per local guidelines, assess the effectiveness of CPAP after an hour, if it isn’t effective then bail out and consider intubation.
- If effective, regular review is required. If at any point it is failing, bail out and consider ventilation.
- Whilst we may have a shortage of ventilators, holding people indefinitely on CPAP may be short-sighted as it may be converting single organ failure into multiple organ failure.

OK, that’s all I have.

I will stress again that this is simply a summary of discussions, none of which are backed up by large, robust multi-centre RCTs.

My conclusions after each section are nothing more than suggestions to be discussed.

We need to adapt fast to what we learn about this disease and learn from our colleagues at other centre. We are all in this together and joined up thinking is required.

Lastly, we desperately need to look at our own data to understand whether we are getting this right or not.

Good luck, stay stay safe and be kind to one another.

Dan
Daniel Martin OBE
Macintosh Professor of Anaesthesia
Intensive Care Lead for High Consequence Infectious Diseases
Royal Free Hospital
London

I’d like to see their evidence of micro vascular thrombi, last lit dive I pulled looking for histology only showed the 1 onc study which was all early in the process. I’ve seen no autopsy histo reports.

I’d like to see their evidence of micro vascular thrombi, last lit dive I pulled looking for histology only showed the 1 onc study which was all early in the process. I’ve seen no autopsy histo reports.

Our hospital is starting to collect data more consistently but we have seen it in a significant minority of our 70+ patients so far. Dvts definitely seem to be more common than normal critical illness.

The issue is that the researchers who normally focus in this stuff are consumed by clinical work so evidence may be slow in coming.

Our hospital is starting to collect data more consistently but we have seen it in a significant minority of our 70+ patients so far. Dvts definitely seem to be more common than normal critical illness.

The issue is that the researchers who normally focus in this stuff are consumed by clinical work so evidence may be slow in coming.
How are you diagnosing pulmonary microthrombosis?

obviously we arent. its pocus dvt only. we arent doing autopsies due to ppe shortage.

One unit i=s putting everyone on therapeutic ac unless contraindication exists so well have some post hoc cohorts to look at after the dust settles.

obviously we arent. its pocus dvt only. we arent doing autopsies due to ppe shortage.

One unit i=s putting everyone on therapeutic ac unless contraindication exists so well have some post hoc cohorts to look at after the dust settles.

You have 1 unit that is full a/c? Hopefully you have another unit that’s not? That’s make a great study. The a/c topic I find fascinating. There are some strong opinions on it but not much data. I’m trying to keep a fluid approach, and honestly I don’t think I’m going to jump on a/c or other fads until they get better data.

I just wish we could get a few autopsy reports on the histo.

Reactions: 2 users
You have 1 unit that is full a/c? Hopefully you have another unit that’s not? That’s make a great study. The a/c topic I find fascinating. There are some strong opinions on it but not much data. I’m trying to keep a fluid approach, and honestly I don’t think I’m going to jump on a/c or other fads until they get better data.

I just wish we could get a few autopsy reports on the histo.

Other units are ac if dvt confirmed on pocus so not strict yes/no but it'll be some decent data for later.

Severe ARDS mortality is 45%...

There are 2 answers to your question. From a clinical features perspective of 1) acute onset within 7 days of insult, 2) bilateral infiltrates, 3) P/F <300, 4) lack of LV failure or evidence of volume overload, and 5) a predisposing condition - I’d say mostly yes. I qualify with mostly because the volume status and cardiac performance of some of the sickest COVID cases is in question.

From a molecular mechanism of PMN activation in the lung leading to fibrin and proteaonacious deposits - I’d say probably not.

The molecular and clinical concepts aren’t adding up...that’s a real b!tch, eh?

Curious if any of you have thoughts on the possibility treating these patients with Acetazolamide and PDE Inhibitors, because of the similarities to HAPE?

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Good morning,

I am a fledgling student and new to this forum but have some questions I am hoping can be answered here.

I have read a number a number of accounts such as the ones proffered by Dr.’s Luciano Gattinoni in Italy and Cameron Kyle-Sidell in New York City that they are seeing the majority of their patients exhibiting an a-typical ARDS presentation with severe hypoxemia. Apparently this is similar to High Altitude Pulmonary Edema where the patient is starving for oxygen despite aggressive ventilator use.

My question is, in COVID-19 patients who are exhibiting HAPE symptoms, what about employing liquid ventilation using highly-oxygenated perfluorocarbons?

Moreover, could this be a useful therapy for COPD?

I understand that this therapy has been wildly successful in combating premature baby mortality due to quick oxygen absorption into the bloodstream without the use of fully developed lungs.

Correct. 100% fio2, no one in my group I’ve ever seen blindly follow the peep titration tables.
What are you experiencing as far as their compliance? Good or bad compliance? I am starting in the Unit next week and absorbing as much as I can about people's experience in this as it sounds very atypical.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I am a fledgling student and new to this forum but have some questions I am hoping can be answered here.

I have read a number a number of accounts such as the ones proffered by Dr.’s Luciano Gattinoni in Italy and Cameron Kyle-Sidell in New York City that they are seeing the majority of their patients exhibiting an a-typical ARDS presentation with severe hypoxemia. Apparently this is similar to High Altitude Pulmonary Edema where the patient is starving for oxygen despite aggressive ventilator use.

My question is, in COVID-19 patients who are exhibiting HAPE symptoms, what about employing liquid ventilation using highly-oxygenated perfluorocarbons?

Moreover, could this be a useful therapy for COPD?

I understand that this therapy has been wildly successful in combating premature baby mortality due to quick oxygen absorption into the bloodstream without the use of fully developed lungs.
No one uses perfluorocarbons for premature infants. Small trials (mostly in animals) that have never been widely adopted. That’s it.

What are you experiencing as far as their compliance? Good or bad compliance? I am starting in the Unit next week and absorbing as much as I can about people's experience in this as it sounds very atypical.

All but 1 of my pts have lungs that are compliant. Once on vent most needing ~14cm of peep and proning

All but 1 of my pts have lungs that are compliant. Once on vent most needing ~14cm of peep and proning
Do you have a high mortality rate on the vent? Like the 80% in NY or are you successful in extubating? How about ECMO? How long are they staying vented for the most part?

Do you have a high mortality rate on the vent? Like the 80% in NY or are you successful in extubating? How about ECMO? How long are they staying vented for the most part?

So far. 1/3 of those admitted get tubed. Something like 1/2-3/4 need icu care. We’ve gotten a few off the vent but it takes a week or more. No ecmo. And frankly I question the utility of ecmo at this point. Our prelim mortality of hospitalized pts is high.

So I haven't really reviewed my basic patho-phys in a while. But as I recall, high peep wasn't thought to be harmful to lungs, as long as the plateau and driving pressures were kept reasonable. Am I mistaken in this? It definitely seems like it according to all these reports.

We’re seeing a pretty low mortality rate. A lot of renal failure. Lungs seem pretty compliant. We’ve had a lot of failed extubations.

We’re seeing a pretty low mortality rate. A lot of renal failure. Lungs seem pretty compliant. We’ve had a lot of failed extubations.

I'm out of the unit presently but trying to follow along peripherally. We've likewise seen a lower mortality than reported out of Seattle. Early to say, because the vast majority of our covid positives that were vented remain vented, but of those tubed we've extubated a larger number than have died. This isn't counting the mortality related to DNI patients who have gone comfort measures prior to intubation. It seems like we've mostly been managing things ardsnet-esque. We have a lot of covid, x3ish the number of vented we typically have to my understanding, but we haven't gotten to the point of limited resources affecting care

What about vocal cord dysfunction? I retubed 2 that got hairy as they're cords were clamped shut

It’s possible, but did you not paralyze? I had 2 failed extubations myself. both failed for hypoxia, but I’ve heard of several that failed for strider.

It’s possible, but did you not paralyze? I had 2 failed extubations myself. both failed for hypoxia, but I’ve heard of several that failed for strider.

Yup, given paralytics. Unless I’m really nervous about an airway, I’m being very aggressive about how I do things. i preoxygenate, etomidate/paralytic wait till the paralytic has kicked in and go straight with absolutely no bagging at this point unless they are about to code. Despite the paralytics the cords were tight. I had the tube right there but couldn’t manipulate, so I passed a boogie and managed to use it to split the cords open enough to sneak the ett in. Got damn lucky on it,

I have had 2 failed COVID extubations due to stridor. Both had upper airway edema on laryngoscopy, cords were unaffected though. One of them was extubated a second time and has been successfully transferred out of the ICU today. 2 successful covid extubations thus far and both left the unit today. We have multiple proned currently.

I agree this isn't low lung compliance DAD "ARDS" - which is what most of us mean when we say "ARDS". At least it's not that early on. Give these some time and they will get those stiff lungs we all usually mean when we say "ARDS".

But, yeah. I just don't, respectfully, buy the "don't use PEEP" argument here. And I do respect there are going to be some variability in presentations here, but in my experience here they need PEEP but not necessarily a "vent" (even though they may be intubated and are obviously then on a vent). I and my partners are having a lot of success with just PEEP +/- pressure support. This is obviously in those normal compliance lung patients. This has also allowed us to use either very minimal sedation or in some patients NO SEDATION at all. We then wean the PEEP down (not being greedy) until you basically have the patient on a CPAP trial (+/- pressure support - however you do your weans) and then trial extubation.

Proning has been used when thought appropriate given the clinical situation and we are not just proning everyone regardless.

We have also seen an unexpected number of post extubation upper airway swelling/stridor - two reintubation, but the rest we've gotten by with doing the usual stuff (that I'm never really convinced helps that much but we all kind of do)

We have been doing our best to also try and "time" the "cytokine storm" based on imperfect surrogate markers (high high nonresponsive fevers, CRP, ferritin, LDH, d-dimer, etc) and in those patients who seem to be manifesting it significantly and then we have been giving a single dose of tocilizumab. You do see inflammatory markers come down very quickly - the lag to improvment in oxygen once this occurs seems to be many (2-3) days. This also makes me wonder about window of time where steroids might also be effective but I no good idea how to time that - steroids are a much much blunter instrument.

I should also say I have seen in patients that did not make it:

Massive GI bleed on stress ulcer prophylaxis but given anticoagulation because of very very high d dimer.

Vasopressor resistant shock.

Bradycardia.

Acute renal failure.

Fevers of 105-106 for days that don’t respond to anything.

This virus is a tricky bitch. And it’s hard to have any reflexes. **** this virus.

Reactions: 4 users
I should also say I have seen in patients that did not make it:

Massive GI bleed on stress ulcer prophylaxis but given anticoagulation because of very very high d dimer.

Hmmm...this does not compute.

There’s some data saying patients who have received heparin for better. Also, d-dimer/coags seems to be somewhat prognostic.

You would anticoagulate a massive GI bleed based on a very high D-dimer? I’m aware of its prognostic value (or lack of) in things like DIC, but I agree with the assessment in PulmCrit and would not use it to rule in VTE in a critically ill patient, nor would I anticoagulate a patient with massive bleeding.

If I thought that a patient with massive GI bleeding had VTE, I’d skip the Dimer and US their legs.

Last edited:
You would anticoagulate a massive GI bleed based on a very high D-dimer? I’m aware of its prognostic value (or lack of) in things like DIC, but I would not use it to rule in VTE in a critically ill patient, nor would I anticoagulate a patient with massive bleeding.

If I thought that a patient with massive GI bleeding had VTE, I’d skip the Dimer and US their legs.

The GI bleed came because of the anticoagulation, not given because of it.

The GI bleed came because of the anticoagulation, not given because of it.

Makes more sense...you were scaring me there for a second. ;)

The way I read it made me think that the patient developed the GI bleed and someone checked a D-dimer (perhaps as part of a DIC panel) and then decided to anticoagulate with heparin when it came back high. I could see the last FM intern doing that who rotated with me in the MICU.

Personally, I’d be very careful anticoagulating these COVIDs just based on a dimer. It’s an acute phase reactant and there is not enough data or power in the Cui paper to create thresholds where benefits outweigh risks. I think that serial, daily POCUS of the legs and echo makes more sense. I’d definitely consider heparin if their echo suggested RV strain, sudden increase in dead space fraction, or pulmonary HTN.

Last edited:
He forgot the reiki therapy. Smdh

Good one. For a second I though my wife had been right for all these years and I really have been doing it all wrong.

• Haha
Makes more sense...you were scaring me there for a second. ;)

The way I read it made me think that the patient developed the GI bleed and someone checked a D-dimer (perhaps as part of a DIC panel) and then decided to anticoagulate with heparin when it came back high. I could see the last FM intern doing that who rotated with me in the MICU.

Personally, I’d be very careful anticoagulating these COVIDs just based on a dimer. It’s an acute phase reactant and there is not enough data to create thresholds where benefits outweigh risks. I think that serial, daily POCUS of the legs and echo makes more sense. I’d definitely consider heparin if their echo suggested RV strain, sudden increase in dead space fraction, or pulmonary HTN.

Yeah in a perfect world . . . Due to PPE shortage these patients are not getting lower extremity ultrasounds and forget about CTAs. RV is usually uniformly big due to the hypoxia and PEEP. Plenty of cases of PE without lower extremity evidence reported in these patients too. More than a few algorithms about ways to think about anticoagulation or even half anticoagulation in these patients - we all know d-dimer goes up in inflammation, that knowledge simply isn't helpful. As I recall from rounds this particular patient had a d-dimer over 12,000 and an acute increase in oxygenation with some new relative hypotension.

How many of these patients have you taken care of to this point?

Yeah in a perfect world . . . Due to PPE shortage these patients are not getting lower extremity ultrasounds and forget about CTAs. RV is usually uniformly big due to the hypoxia and PEEP. Plenty of cases of PE without lower extremity evidence reported in these patients too. More than a few algorithms about ways to think about anticoagulation or even half anticoagulation in these patients - we all know d-dimer goes up in inflammation, that knowledge simply isn't helpful. As I recall from rounds this particular patient had a d-dimer over 12,000 and an acute increase in oxygenation with some new relative hypotension.

How many of these patients have you taken care of to this point?

3 positives. All did well. Probably some more PUIs that are false negs or yet to rule in as our turnaround is still > 24 hrs.

My problem with the Cui paper that seems to have started this D-dimer interest is that it was only 81 patients who did not get ppx. Their rate of VTE of 25% was not unheard of in historical patients who didn’t get ppx. We are not yet using the dimer to anticoagulate but who knows what will happen in a week.

I do agree that 12K is high though...tough one

Last edited:
Yup, given paralytics. Unless I’m really nervous about an airway, I’m being very aggressive about how I do things. i preoxygenate, etomidate/paralytic wait till the paralytic has kicked in and go straight with absolutely no bagging at this point unless they are about to code. Despite the paralytics the cords were tight. I had the tube right there but couldn’t manipulate, so I passed a boogie and managed to use it to split the cords open enough to sneak the ett in. Got damn lucky on it,
How much paralytic? Also, unless they get it for you fresh from the fridge, and not some room temperature cart/Pyxis, assume it has maybe 60% of its normal potency.