Treatment of organophosphate poisoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goal270

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In First Aid, under the heading of special antidotes, the antidote for anticholinesterase inhibitors and organophosphates is given as atropine >pralidoxime. Can anyone please explain why atropine is preferred over pralidoxime?

I thought since pralidoxime can treat central effects as well, it should be preferred?

Members don't see this ad.

In First Aid, under the heading of special antidotes, the antidote for anticholinesterase inhibitors and organophosphates is given as atropine >pralidoxime. Can anyone please explain why atropine is preferred over pralidoxime?

I thought since pralidoxime can treat central effects as well, it should be preferred?

Atropine is the preferred initial treatment whereas pralidoxime is the definite treatment. So if you are in the ER you first give atropine which will most likely be the case in the question stem.

Reactions: 1 user
Main cause of death is respiratory failure (bronchospasm + increased respiratory secretions via M3) so you want to prevent that right away. Atropine is given as a single shot, pralidoxime as an infusion. Out of curiosity I just checked emedicine and the infusion is 20 minutes long, so obviously you want to give atropine right away while the infusion is being prepared and initiated.

Reactions: 1 users
Atropine is the preferred initial treatment whereas pralidoxime is the definite treatment. So if you are in the ER you first give atropine which will most likely be the case in the question stem.

Got it! Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Main cause of death is respiratory failure (bronchospasm + increased respiratory secretions via M3) so you want to prevent that right away. Atropine is given as a single shot, pralidoxime as an infusion. Out of curiosity I just checked emedicine and the infusion is 20 minutes long, so obviously you want to give atropine right away while the infusion is being prepared and initiated.
very helpful. thank you so much