Technology Treo Pro vs iPhone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medium rare

Clinical Psychologist & Psych NP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some info/opinions regarding new, unlocked Treo Pro or iPhone. I need to use med apps like epocrates, pepid, etc. Was aware that iPhone used to require WiFi but now have heard that most apps are available native for iPhone. The Treo Pro, since unlocked, can be used on any network and would not require me to switch to AT&T (which I'd rather not but would be willing if worth it). The Pro, again since unlocked, is expensive but have heard it is a good device and would be nice to not have to switch phones if changing carriers. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

With the new Palm Pre coming this year, the popularity of the iPhone OS, new Android/Google devices, and the first touch-screen Blackberry, the stylus-based Windows Mobile smartphone is starting to look long-in-the-tooth. Anyone want to bet whether the next Window Mobile platform will be stylus-based?

So, if you are going to start buying new software to use over the next couple of years I would seriously consider whether you like Windows Mobile in its current iteration.

The Palms are extremely more functional than the iphone. palms are far more compatible, you can edit MS office like documents, they are easier to type on. the iphone cannot even cut and paste a phone number. with the new palm pre there is nothing the iphone excels at.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling cut and paste will be in the next iPhone (hopefully). Palm is going to have to hope that their app store idea catches on so they can get new apps to replace the old versions. If Palm and the app developers are smart they will start from scratch making the apps rather than converting the old apps with speed or other issues on the new system. Otherwise your "compatibility" claim is unfounded. The Palm Pre does have the slide out keyboard if that would be preferred but it adds space. If the Pre is going to keep with the plastic touchscreen it is going to really get scratched unlike the iPhone's glass. The camera of the Pre is certainly better too. However, it is hard to compare something not even released yet to the iPhone 3G as it has been out since the mid-summer. The camera of the iPhone has been outdated since the original iPhone and hasn't changed since. For Mac notebook users with multitouch, the iPhone will seem even more intuitive than it is to others as the touchpad of the newer notebooks have the same gestures as the iPhone.

The Treo Pro has a Windows Mobile operating system so there certainly will be no compatibility with the new Palm webOS devices. Most reviewers consider Windows Mobile to be less user-friendly than other PDA operating systems because it resembles Windows so much but with a much smaller screen. I think the point is moot, however, if Windows Mobile is going to be last of the stylus-based PDA operating systems then it's probably due for a significant update sometime soon.

So, it seems the iPhone is superior to the Treo Pro in most ways. I hear the Palm Pre is going to be available only through Sprint. Would any of you switch to Sprint for the Pre? I currently have Alltel (which has just been bought by Verizon), and I have a Blackberry Pearl which I detest for many reasons. I am looking for a good smartphone (esp for medical apps like Pepid) - definitely not a Blackberry. If you were going to switch carriers for a phone, would you be more inclined to do AT&T for iPhone or Sprint for Pre? I'm in the Southwest and have had good service with Alltel, but their phone choices are limited, especially for smartphones.