tri beta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it helpful at all to have been in tri-beta? Or is it one of those-only if you were an officer or s/t important-type things? I'm trying to decide if I should join or not...but honestly it would just be another activity to add to my more meaningful ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it helpful at all to have been in tri-beta? Or is it one of those-only if you were an officer or s/t important-type things? I'm trying to decide if I should join or not...but honestly it would just be another activity to add to my more meaningful ones.

if you're active in it, it'll help. if you join it and don't do anything, then no. i definitely tend to see the most active ppl serving as the elected positions, though. i'm in tri-beta, AED, and all that business but i didn't really do anything besides attending the occasional meeting and like 1-2 events. i'm definitely not including it when i apply. don't take credit for something you didn't do.

Well, I dunno, saying you're a member and even remotely active can't be that bad of a thing. I'm in the same sort of situation - just not really active - in Psi Chi and Golden Key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I dunno, saying you're a member and even remotely active can't be that bad of a thing. I'm in the same sort of situation - just not really active - in Psi Chi and Golden Key.

i don't know...my premed advisor specifically told me "if you do not participate, you can include it. so many of you don't understand the honor of being part of these." he's also in charge of the program, tho...sooo haha.

When I applied, my rule of thumb was to only include activities that I'd feel comfortable talking about during an interview. If you throw something on the AMCAS list and it comes up during the interview, you want to make sure that you have something to say other than, "I read all the emails from the organization ever since I became a member." I don't think that you need to be a leader in an organization in order for it to be a worthwhile experience, but it's good to have made some sort of contribution if you're going to put in on your application.

If you want to list it, go ahead. I doubt it will make or break you though, since I'm guessing its GPA based and adcoms already have that.

Edit: Unless of course you founded the chapter to recruit intercity kids to your university in an effort to foster their academic development, then they might care.

If you want to list it, go ahead. I doubt it will make or break you though, since I'm guessing its GPA based and adcoms already have that.

Edit: Unless of course you founded the chapter to recruit intercity kids to your university in an effort to foster their academic development, then they might care.

This is what I figured also-acceptance is based on maintaining a certain GPA, so saying you're just in it basically just tells them that you have a high enough GPA, which they already know. On the other hand, I am the president of a club that we founded this semester for women in science...recruited people, went through the process to have it be an actual club, the whole thing...so I probably wouldn't include something I just joined to be in....thanks for the opinions:)

I had this question, too. I'm pre-med and majoring in English, so I'm in the honor societies for both English and biology (Sigma Tau Delta and Tri-Beta). Research and volunteer experience likely looks more important and carries more value, though I was wondering if being in the honor societies looks somewhat good on a resume. Any thoughts?

I had this question, too. I'm pre-med and majoring in English, so I'm in the honor societies for both English and biology (Sigma Tau Delta and Tri-Beta). Research and volunteer experience likely looks more important and carries more value, though I was wondering if being in the honor societies looks somewhat good on a resume. Any thoughts?
On a CV, mentioning membership in two honor societies might give you points when looking for a job, but on a med school application, if "membership" is all you have to say about your involvement, you might as well use the space for something else. If on the other hand, your involvement in an honor organization led to leadership or community service opportunities that you can elaborate on, it is worth mentioning. An exception might be an organization that requires your academics to be in the top 1-5% in the school, provided you explain the criteria for inclusion. JMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Just have a combined honors/awards section and list it there. Don't have to dedicate an entire slot just to it.

On a CV, mentioning membership in two honor societies might give you points when looking for a job, but on a med school application, if "membership" is all you have to say about your involvement, you might as well use the space for something else. If on the other hand, your involvement in an honor organization led to leadership or community service opportunities that you can elaborate on, it is worth mentioning. An exception might be an organization that requires your academics to be in the top 1-5% in the school, provided you explain the criteria for inclusion. JMO.
Thanks for replying. In all honesty, STD is just status. My English professor said so himself. There was an induction ceremony and there's no other events after that, not even meetings. (Makes me wish there's more involvement somehow). As for Tri-Beta, it's a lot more involving and I help coordinate various on and off-campus events.

Thanks for replying. In all honesty, STD is just status. My English professor said so himself. There was an induction ceremony and there's no other events after that, not even meetings. (Makes me wish there's more involvement somehow). As for Tri-Beta, it's a lot more involving and I help coordinate various on and off-campus events.
Sounds like you have something you can work with, then. :highfive: