Trig and Calc I

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biology major who will be graduating in December. I have a weak-moderate background in certain maths such as Trig and Calc. I didn't take much Trig in highschool and didn't take any of Trig or Calc in undergrad, yet.
Therein lies my question. How important/useful to success as an optometry student and future optometrist are those two courses? I know Calc I is a prerequisite to Optometry schools. Should Trig be as well? I did very well in Physics with the math required there. I don't know if any of that math is considered to be trig or not. Would Trig be helpful enough in an Optometry college that I should take or audit a trig class?
Since I am graduating in December I will not be taking Calculus at my undergrad school. Should I be looking into taking it just at some community college back home or should I be really looking into it to make sure I get a REALLY good Calc course, like maybe even becoming a part-time student at a local university to take Calc there? I would prefer to take it a community college because it would be about half as expensive there as at any of the local universities. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, whatever?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't see it. If you could tell me how to get to it I would be grateful.

Under communities/optometry forum there is the pre-optometry forum... But I don't know why someone couldn't just answer your question.

Usually schools want you to have Calculus before or at the same time as physics. Anyway - if you've already had physics and math is not your thing. I would take it at a community college and do well. I do not think that most of the schools care where you take it - but to be sure you could call schools you are interested in and make sure that taking it at a CC would be acceptable.

UAB and SCO had not preferance over trig. based vs. calculus base physics so I could not imagine that they would care if calculus was taken at a 4 yrs. school or not. All I did was send an e-mail and they answered all my questions.

The only trig I've had to use so far (1st year) is knowing how to push the TAN and inverse TAN button on my calculator.

:)