Trimming my school list. Applying all MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonyMedz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Been participating here for awhile. A lot of good advice and helpful guidance. I will be seeking and contributing under this username.

I have a grant to apply to 25ish schools, so would like to have a list around there. Please help me trim my list to get rid of schools not worth applying to (due to no chance or whatever). I don't think I am competitive for MSTP, so I am leaning towards non-MSTP programs.

All comments appreciated!

Stats:
- GPAs - Total: 3.76, BCPM: 3.75, AO: 3.80
- B.S.: Majors 1) Chem (Honors thesis, Magan cum laude) 2) Bio, Minor: Philosophy
- MCAT: 514 (131, 125, 130, 128) (comment on low cars?, I am ESL)
- Good LORs
- Not URM
- No Residency state

Research:
- 4000+ hours research
- In school(4 years), one year industry (a few months supervisory position and patents on the way), one year top research center expecting a few publications.
- Several posters, one national conference, one international conference, and school stuff.

Shadowing:
- total 60 hours
- physicians and physician-scientists in different departments

Volunteering:
- Clinical: 180 hours (80 as CNA)
- non-clinical: 300

School list (Needs trimming, target around 30ish schools)

Preference towards california and northeast schools.

- Albany
- Albert Einstein
- UCLA
- Rosalind Franklin
- Drexel
- Creighton
- Emory
- George Washington
- U southern cali
- Temple
- Georgetown
- PennState
- University of Florida
- Oregon U
- UC irvine
- St. Louis U
- UC Davis
- UC Riverside
- Arizona- Tucsan
- Tufts
- Tomas Jefferson
- U miami
- U maryland
- UCSD (Target school, chances?)
- U Utah
- U washington
- U mass

Reach:
- Columbia
- Harvard
- John hopkins
- Chicago
- Mayo
- Cornell
- Upenn
- Brown
- Stanford
- U Pittsburgh
- Vanderbilt (PI connections)
- Washington U, St. Louis
- Yale
- UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
confused by "no state of residency". Are you an American citizen/permanent resident/DACA? Your status will affect how we interpret your potential app.

Assuming you're a permanent resident or citizen, I would have a list of at least 15 from the first list and at most 10 from the bottom list for a total of around 25. Do a first cut by the strength of your field at a particular school. In particular, look for programs with strong research in your field but less competitive medical schools. Include schools outside of highly desirable areas but with good track records (The big texas MD/PhD programs like UTSW, UTHSCA, McGovern, Baylor, UTMB come to mind; also midwest MSTPs outside of Chicago like Iowa, Wisconsin; elsewhere in the south UAB.)

confused by "no state of residency". Are you an American citizen/permanent resident/DACA? Your status will affect how we interpret your potential app.

Assuming you're a permanent resident or citizen, I would have a list of at least 15 from the first list and at most 10 from the bottom list for a total of around 25. Do a first cut by the strength of your field at a particular school. In particular, look for programs with strong research in your field but less competitive medical schools. Include schools outside of highly desirable areas but with good track records (The big texas MD/PhD programs like UTSW, UTHSCA, McGovern, Baylor, UTMB come to mind; also midwest MSTPs outside of Chicago like Iowa, Wisconsin; elsewhere in the south UAB.)

No residency state: I am a citizen living international (germany). I can't claim a residency with my current situation, and yes I've looked into it thoroughly. Sorry for not clarifying....

That's what I've been doing.. I know USNews ranking gives the idea of research grants and NIH grant database showing which departments are heavily funded at a school; and finding less competitive MD through MSAR.

I will consider the schools listed, I know Iowa will for sure make my list.

I like the breakout of the list you suggested... Regarding the bottom list, This is what I filtered (OUT), based on my stats only. Keeping about 7 to apply, any suggestions?

Reach:
- Columbia (OUT)
- Harvard
- John hopkins (OUT)
- Chicago (OUT)
- Mayo (OUT)
- Cornell
- Upenn (OUT)
- Brown
- Stanford
- U Pittsburgh
- Vanderbilt (PI connections)
- Washington U, St. Louis (OUT)
- Yale
- UCSF

Thanks again,, your contributions to the forums are always helpful, Lucca...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should also consider UCLA, UCSD, and U Washington as part of your "reaches" since they are just as, if not more, competitive as the other schools on that list.

I would not take out Wash U or UPenn. They have a large MSTP class and your chances will be high. Don't just go off of stats when applying. Looks at number of applicants vs entering class for each school. Also, the research available at each school and how it matches with your research interests matters a lot. In my experience, the stats don't really matter once you're above a certain threshold.

Not sure why applying to Brown...Unless you have some connections there and you really want to attend.

I think you should also consider UCLA, UCSD, and U Washington as part of your "reaches" since they are just as, if not more, competitive as the other schools on that list.

I would not take out Wash U or UPenn. They have a large MSTP class and your chances will be high. Don't just go off of stats when applying. Looks at number of applicants vs entering class for each school. Also, the research available at each school and how it matches with your research interests matters a lot. In my experience, the stats don't really matter once you're above a certain threshold.

Not sure why applying to Brown...Unless you have some connections there and you really want to attend.

The thing is, a lot of the schools my stats fit with in the range, but require state residency... Wash U won't accept outside northwest states,, UCs got some restrictions as well.. but, my list will include some just to try out (My list in my first post)..

Thanks for the comment though, I am trying to get the holistic view of my app, and not only consider stats, but it's difficult.

The thing is, a lot of the schools my stats fit with in the range, but require state residency... Wash U won't accept outside northwest states,, UCs got some restrictions as well.. but, my list will include some just to try out (My list in my first post)..

Thanks for the comment though, I am trying to get the holistic view of my app, and not only consider stats, but it's difficult.

The in-state requirements that apply to MD applicants typically do not apply to MD-PhD applicants.

Reactions: 1 user