WAMC/School List for Non-Trad MD/PhD Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocuroniumRedux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great stats assuming your MCAT score is similar to your practice scores. Your clinical experience is going to be an issue. You’ll be competing against candidates with 150+ hours. Your research experience is comparable to every elite college UG candidate who served in a clinical research coordinator position at an academic medical center in the U.S.

Reactions: 1 user
Great stats assuming your MCAT score is similar to your practice scores. Your clinical experience is going to be an issue. You’ll be competing against candidates with 150+ hours. Your research experience is comparable to every elite college UG candidate who served in a clinical research coordinator position at an academic medical center in the U.S.
Thanks KaiBuzz, I understand my clinical hours aren't exactly ideal but I'm hoping to accumulate a bit more before submitting. I'm hoping that my ancillary clinical work experience in IT will be considered as relevant, and I feel like I'm going to be able to speak at depth about the few hours that I do have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with a stat/research heavy application with minimal clinical hours and I think it definitely hurt me. I was ultimately successful (3 II -> 2 A) but in retrospect it was not in my best interest.

Your best option is to have meaning behind your clinical hours you can really express. Also, shadowing a MD/PhD can be useful to offset the lower clinical hours.

I applied with a stat/research heavy application with minimal clinical hours and I think it definitely hurt me. I was ultimately successful (3 II -> 2 A) but in retrospect it was not in my best interest.

Your best option is to have meaning behind your clinical hours you can really express. Also, shadowing a MD/PhD can be useful to offset the lower clinical hours.
Good to know, thanks! I have a connection to an MD/PhD that I think would be amenable to shadowing, so I'll definitely reach out.

Stats look good, and I think you're applying to a great range of programs.

You will likely be asked about your transfers/undergrad experience, so be ready to talk about that. Your clinical hours are a bit low, but that's not a big deal (as long as you can share a meaningful experience or two). Of course, getting a manuscript published would really help bolster your research output. I think you are solidly competitive for most MSTPs, but probably not some of the "elite" schools in your list.
Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.