Trinity School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody else get an email from Princeton Review detailing the new school on St. Vincent called Trinity University?

here is a copy/paste of what i received. Id love to hear your thoughts, if you have any...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]re you interested in starting medical school in 2009? We'd like to introduce you to a new medical school opening its doors in September 2008 on the beautiful island of St. Vincent. Trinity University School of Medicine is a boutique medical school that is designed to appeal to the most discriminating candidates for admission.. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Touted as “the premier international medical school training highly qualified and successful practitioners to meet the escalating need for physicians in North America,” Trinity is expected to quickly gain recognition among its peers..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Learn more: Request additional information from the Trinity School of Medicine.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Curriculum.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity’s curriculum is modeled after the very best that have been designed and implemented at the top medical schools in the United States. It incorporates the latest technology available in higher education, emphasizes problem-based learning, and, most importantly, features the integration of the basic sciences and clinical disciplines in order to complement and enhance the development of adaptability and flexibility. With an excellent student-to-faculty ratio of 10 to 1, students are assured of personal attention..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity students will spend five semesters on the island of St. Vincent before returning to the United States for completion of the final 75 weeks of clinical clerkships. Guaranteed clinical clerkships will be in place to ensure students of the opportunity to complete all ACGME approved clerkships in teaching hospitals in the United States..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Application Process.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity began accepting applications beginning in January 2008 for the class entering in September 2008. A January start term is also offered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, however, it is recommended to apply 4-6 months prior to your intended start date..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A preparatory program – Access MD – will be offered to candidates whose background and earlier academic performance dictate the successful completion of a strong preparation in the sciences prior to commencing formal medical studies..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]More about St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The island of St. Vincent is located in the Lesser Antilles and its government (St. Vincent and the Grenadines) is a member of the Commonwealth of Great Britain. St. Vincent and the Grenadines is situated in the Eastern Caribbean at the southern end of the Windward Islands chain. It is an archipelago of islands, St. Vincent being the largest, with the smaller Grenadines comprising Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Mayreau, Union Island, Palm Island, Petit St. Vincent and a number of small islets. The topography is quite mountainous. Neighboring islands include Barbados, St. Lucia, and Grenada..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Learn more: Request additional information from the Trinity School of Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I got the same message yesterday. Do you know why they call it a Boutique school?

Avoid it....

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else get an email from Princeton Review detailing the new school on St. Vincent called Trinity University?

here is a copy/paste of what i received. Id love to hear your thoughts, if you have any...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]re you interested in starting medical school in 2009? We'd like to introduce you to a new medical school opening its doors in September 2008 on the beautiful island of St. Vincent. Trinity University School of Medicine is a boutique medical school that is designed to appeal to the most discriminating candidates for admission.. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Touted as “the premier international medical school training highly qualified and successful practitioners to meet the escalating need for physicians in North America,” Trinity is expected to quickly gain recognition among its peers..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Curriculum.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity’s curriculum is modeled after the very best that have been designed and implemented at the top medical schools in the United States. It incorporates the latest technology available in higher education, emphasizes problem-based learning, and, most importantly, features the integration of the basic sciences and clinical disciplines in order to complement and enhance the development of adaptability and flexibility. With an excellent student-to-faculty ratio of 10 to 1, students are assured of personal attention..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity students will spend five semesters on the island of St. Vincent before returning to the United States for completion of the final 75 weeks of clinical clerkships. Guaranteed clinical clerkships will be in place to ensure students of the opportunity to complete all ACGME approved clerkships in teaching hospitals in the United States..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Application Process.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Trinity began accepting applications beginning in January 2008 for the class entering in September 2008. A January start term is also offered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, however, it is recommended to apply 4-6 months prior to your intended start date..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A preparatory program – Access MD – will be offered to candidates whose background and earlier academic performance dictate the successful completion of a strong preparation in the sciences prior to commencing formal medical studies..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]More about St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The island of St. Vincent is located in the Lesser Antilles and its government (St. Vincent and the Grenadines) is a member of the Commonwealth of Great Britain. St. Vincent and the Grenadines is situated in the Eastern Caribbean at the southern end of the Windward Islands chain. It is an archipelago of islands, St. Vincent being the largest, with the smaller Grenadines comprising Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Mayreau, Union Island, Palm Island, Petit St. Vincent and a number of small islets. The topography is quite mountainous. Neighboring islands include Barbados, St. Lucia, and Grenada..

THINK ABOUT IT. THIS SCHOOL IS RELATIVELY NEW. ITS ALREADY OVER $10,000/SEMESTER AND CLINICALS OVER $11K. SABA IS NOT THAT MUCH WITH ALL THE EXPERIENCES AND 50 STATES IN TOP OF THAT.

IN FRENCH BOUTIQUE MEANS : A PLACE WHERE YOU BUY GROCERIES

lol I just got this email: (wonder how they got my name + email?)

Dear xantho,​

ANNOUNCEMENT:

A new medical school will open its doors in September 2008 - on the beautiful island of St. Vincent (part of the country St. Vincent and the Grenadines) and member of the British Commonwealth. This boutique medical school will appeal to the most discriminating candidates for admission. Touted as "the premier international medical school training highly qualified and successful practitioners to meet the escalating need for physicians in North America and the Caribbean" the Trinity University School of Medicine will quickly gain recognition as a giant among its peers.​

DISTINCTIONS:
  • A curriculum modeled after the best that have been designed and implemented at the top rated medical schools in the United States
  • An introduction of the latest technology available in higher education
  • A strong emphasis on problem based learning and, most importantly, the integration of the foundations of medicine (basic sciences) and the clinical sciences throughout the four semesters of the basic sciences.
  • Another important distinction has to do with the very small faculty/student ratio - currently less than 1:10. You will receive all the personal attention you need and should expect in order to excel in your medical studies.
If you have not already done so, we encourage you to visit our website at www.tusom.org. The website is being updated on a daily basis so visit us often. If, after reviewing the website you have additional questions or wish to talk to an admissions officer, email us at [email protected]. We will be pleased to address any and all questions or concerns you may have.
Be sure to check out the scheduled information sessions - many of the major cities will have a scheduled information session between now and July 1. Plan to attend one in your region!
Finally if you wish to apply to TUSOM, you can do so by clicking on this link: www.tusom.org/admissions/application.html. Read the instructions and click on Start your Application, complete and submit that document as directed. Additionally you will need to submit your application fee ($75.00) and any available documentation (MCAT scores, unofficial or official transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) under separate cover.​

Address:

Trinity University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
1111 Brickell Avenue, Suite 1176
Miami, Florida 33131
We welcome your interest in TUSOM and we hope to hear from you as you consider TUSOM as your medical school of choice. Maybe someday you will be able to say
"I AM TRINITY"!​

Only 3 Caribbean schools are approved in all 50 US States, SGU, AUC, and Ross. I am not sure if Saba graduates can get licensure in Texas. I would probably avoid schools outside of these four in the Caribbean. If a school is not CA approved, even if you don't plan to work in CA, it could get difficult to get a license in many US states.

I'm a 4th year SGU students and all this seems very interesting to me. It's funny just how fast a new medical school can just popup out of the blue. St. Vincent was the last semester of all SGU students just 1 year ago and now they have a new school. I was looking through the Trinity SOM website and I don't know where they found a "state of the art anatomy lab" because they surely did not have one there when I was there in 2006. I guess Dr. Ed Johnson found a great way to stay on the island of St. Vincents even after SGU stopped sending students there.... "Heck, why not just become a dean of my own school!!"

If I was a new applicant, I would avoid this school. I say this just because any new school probably does not have any affiliations in the US for clinicals and even if they do nobody in the US Residency Programs have heard of this schools and so you will never find a residency position in the US.

Yes, it's brand spanking new. I emailed the director of marketing and the VP himself responded to my email. The website is clean and professional (it really bugs me when a medical college puts out a website that looks like...crap). Here is an exerpt from the response to my enquiry on accreditation:

"This is an exciting venture –partly because it’s brand new –and the students starting in September and January 2009 will be the very first cohort of students to attend our program. New is good in the sense that we have worked for years in medical education and we have an opportunity to learn from all our previous mistakes and get it right this time!! Not too many educators receive such an opportunity. Let me explain the accreditation issue as there are some misunderstandings about it. We have been granted a charter to start the medical school on St. Vincent from the government. That is an exclusive right – and enables us to have an exclusive relationship with Milton Cato Hospital – a bona fide teaching hospital. Go to our web site and review the situation with Milton Cato – it’s key to our curriculum where we will be introduction clinical applications and therapeutics into our basic sciences curriculum commencing with the first semester.

"You asked in which states TUSOM gradates will be allowed to practice. Currently there are only four states (NY, NJ, Fl, and CA) that have a separate approval process that must be followed in order for graduates of international medical schools to practice in those four states. The rest of the state tend to follow the ECFMG authorization – which permits these students to sit for USMLE Step 1 and 2 and to then register for and be certified to participate in the NRMP – National Residency Match Program. TUSOM graduate will be eligible to be licensed in Canada based upon the ECFMG recognition and WHO/IMED listings.

"The next step is that the Minister of Health will accredit the medical school – and will in turn notify FAIMER/IMED – and we expect that to take place within the next two weeks. As soon as FAIMER/IMED receives the letter we will be listed on IMED and gain WHO recognition at the same time. These recognitions enable us to gain ECFMG approval – which means that our students will be able to come back to the US after completing the basic sciences (20 months)and sit for USMLE Step 1 and complete their clinical rotations at AGME approved clerkships offered at US teaching hospitals. Currently we have an agreement pending in NY – where our students will be allowed to complete all their core and elective rotations. Why pending? Because we will have to gain NY state approval to enable our students to complete their rotations in NY state. We plan to do that between now and the time they would be scheduled to begin their training. At the same time we will be applying for state approval in Florida (where we also have clinical clerkships in queue to begin core and elective rotations for our students). Our plan is to continue identifying such opportunities – regionally throughout the US and then having them available for students based upon a geographical preference.

All in all, he was very open with the accreditation issue. Yes, I would be concerned that they're not yet ECFMG. Without it, there's no USMLE. But it's a good sign that the school is very open about these things. This email came straight from the Senior Exec. VP.

Hope it helps.

ya know,
i was also the recipient of a private email from a representative of TUSOM. I noticed about the tone of his letter as well...the level of awareness they have towards our validated hesitancy of applying there has a sobering effect on my anxieties about the school.
just from their website, and the email i received, im not not impressed with this place. I am not giving this school a complete thumbs up yet though, because I still hold a strong passion to learn osteopathic manipulation...but if i dont get any love from the DO schools...I would consider the small and personal class sizes in a tropical island to study medicine =]
-matt

Guys the site is a scam... look at the domain name. If you don't believe me then try a google search and see that nothing comes up

Yes, it's brand spanking new. I emailed the director of marketing and the VP himself responded to my email. The website is clean and professional (it really bugs me when a medical college puts out a website that looks like...crap). Here is an exerpt from the response to my enquiry on accreditation:

"This is an exciting venture –partly because it’s brand new –and the students starting in September and January 2009 will be the very first cohort of students to attend our program. New is good in the sense that we have worked for years in medical education and we have an opportunity to learn from all our previous mistakes and get it right this time!! Not too many educators receive such an opportunity. Let me explain the accreditation issue as there are some misunderstandings about it. We have been granted a charter to start the medical school on St. Vincent from the government. That is an exclusive right – and enables us to have an exclusive relationship with Milton Cato Hospital – a bona fide teaching hospital. Go to our web site and review the situation with Milton Cato – it’s key to our curriculum where we will be introduction clinical applications and therapeutics into our basic sciences curriculum commencing with the first semester.

"You asked in which states TUSOM gradates will be allowed to practice. Currently there are only four states (NY, NJ, Fl, and CA) that have a separate approval process that must be followed in order for graduates of international medical schools to practice in those four states. The rest of the state tend to follow the ECFMG authorization – which permits these students to sit for USMLE Step 1 and 2 and to then register for and be certified to participate in the NRMP – National Residency Match Program. TUSOM graduate will be eligible to be licensed in Canada based upon the ECFMG recognition and WHO/IMED listings.

"The next step is that the Minister of Health will accredit the medical school – and will in turn notify FAIMER/IMED – and we expect that to take place within the next two weeks. As soon as FAIMER/IMED receives the letter we will be listed on IMED and gain WHO recognition at the same time. These recognitions enable us to gain ECFMG approval – which means that our students will be able to come back to the US after completing the basic sciences (20 months)and sit for USMLE Step 1 and complete their clinical rotations at AGME approved clerkships offered at US teaching hospitals. Currently we have an agreement pending in NY – where our students will be allowed to complete all their core and elective rotations. Why pending? Because we will have to gain NY state approval to enable our students to complete their rotations in NY state. We plan to do that between now and the time they would be scheduled to begin their training. At the same time we will be applying for state approval in Florida (where we also have clinical clerkships in queue to begin core and elective rotations for our students). Our plan is to continue identifying such opportunities – regionally throughout the US and then having them available for students based upon a geographical preference.

All in all, he was very open with the accreditation issue. Yes, I would be concerned that they're not yet ECFMG. Without it, there's no USMLE. But it's a good sign that the school is very open about these things. This email came straight from the Senior Exec. VP.

Hope it helps.

Well, he is at least being honest that the school does not have full accreditation yet and is working to obtain it. However, the school
obviously does not have itself organized sufficiently yet. Without the necessary approvals and accreditation, an MD from that school means absolutely zero. How do we even know the school will obtain all of those approvals within the first four years of being open? Until the school does obtain the necessary accreditation, prospective medical students should avoid it like the plague.

ya know,
i was also the recipient of a private email from a representative of TUSOM. I noticed about the tone of his letter as well...the level of awareness they have towards our validated hesitancy of applying there has a sobering effect on my anxieties about the school.
just from their website, and the email i received, im not not impressed with this place. I am not giving this school a complete thumbs up yet though, because I still hold a strong passion to learn osteopathic manipulation...but if i dont get any love from the DO schools...I would consider the small and personal class sizes in a tropical island to study medicine =]
-matt
no reason to even consider this school. way too new

why do people do it to themselves. If you want to go to med school in the carrib. Pick a school that has some type of track record. go to SGU, AUC, AUA, Ross, SMU, Saba or MUA. going to the carrib is hard enough, no need to make it harder by going to a school that is just opening.

If you want to consider a brand new school let it be the one Dr. Ross (founder of Ross university) is starting. At least with that school you know there will be proven plan of success behind it. Again though i would stay far away from any new school

We have been granted a charter to start the medical school on St. Vincent from the government. That is an exclusive right – and enables us to have an exclusive relationship with Milton Cato Hospital – a bona fide teaching hospital. .

i find this statement interesting since the only med school listed with IMED for St Vincent is Kingstown Medical College- which is wholly affliated with SGU. As far as i know, KMC is still a chartered school, so trinity's charter isnot so exclusive.

also milton cato is a "bona fide" teaching hospital because sgu ran its 6th term students through there- now? well....

If you want to consider a brand new school let it be the one Dr. Ross (founder of Ross university) is starting. At least with that school you know there will be proven plan of success behind it. Again though i would stay far away from any new school

the people that are running this school are from ross