Trouble focusing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleHarmonicMotion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been having trouble focusing on school work/ studying for finals during the past few weeks. I don't know what it is; maybe I'm burned out or just got too relaxed after getting some acceptances (although they are not my top choices). I don't know what to do. I just want some reassurance to know that I'm not alone.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I'm in the exact same boat. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing though... As a natural perfectionist, the opportunity to finally blow off some steam and focus on things other than ECs or school or getting that elusive 4.0 is a relief! Enjoy the time to slacken the reins a little-- you earned it!

First off, let me say that you're not alone. And, not to take away from your own individual experience, but your experience is likely rather common. In general a lot of college students are facing extreme performance pressures, socioeconomic and family issues, all of this leads to depression for a lot more of the student body then you'd think. Now, if we add just busting your butt to get accepted, I'm sure you're pretty burned out.

I know exactly how you feel, I've experienced it before. For myself I've had to teach myself not to let depression sour my accomplishments. I also understand how it's probably hard to explain and frustrating because it's hard to explain being burned out while everything is going your way. But, if it happens now, it'll happen again later. So, now's a good time to figure out how to address whatever is keeping you down. If you feel you really need someone to talk to then I would suggest using your university's free psychological counseling services (and confidential as it's covered by HIPAA).

Here's an article on pubmed about physician burnout, I'm providing it to just let you know you're perfectly normal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24129866

Take care of yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly how I am feeling after 2 acceptances (not top choices) and a number of waitlists to add to the anxiety. I feel like my mind is closed shut and can't think creatively about anything.

I feel the same way! I only have one acceptance and I'm still waiting to hear back from my top schools so you think I would actually care about school work but I absolutely do not. Glad to know I'm not alone! I think we are used to working our butts off all the time so we are naturally feeling a little guilty about not working as hard

Make a goal that you can count or keep track of easily like "I will review x chapters in x days" then give yourself a big reward at the end like $50 on your favorite online store.