Trouble taking tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cather

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I need some help. I study really hard for my tests but then when I go take the tests, I do bad or bomb the tests. I should at least be at the mean or above the mean but I am always below by 7-10 points and I don't know why that is. I'm wondering if I may need extra time for tests or I'm having some problem focusing on the tests. Is it performance anxiety? What do you think?

I think maybe what I should do is practice taking a bunch of tests in the lecture hall before the actual exam. I'm wondering if any of you have the same problem as me? Also, I'm not sure how to go about qualifying for extra time on exams.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you assume that you should be above the mean? Medical school is full of really smart people who have almost always done well in school. You may have been well above the mean in undergrad, but be slightly below the mean in the med school population.

Talk to your professors & see if they have any suggestions for you. Also, see if you can review your exams to see if there are any patterns to the questions you're missing...that might give you an idea of what you need to work on.

Practice tests, group study, READ THE CHAPTERS....this should help bring your score up....not everyone needs to read the chapters to succeed but if you know everything in the notes and the books you won't be surprised by a question, and personally i don't use group study but it works for most people....thats all i can say...

Members don't see this ad :)
i had this problem before. then i just realized that everyone else studied more and "smarter." find out what you're missing on these exams. are the questions testing info from the textbook, lecture notes, things said in lecture, or a combination? then you can target your studying to more high yield info rather than just studying harder. g'luck!

Assuming you are not able to retain the information that well, try "active" studying, like reciting things to yourself, practice tests, etc. This helps you know what you are weak at so you can work on it even more.

Assuming you have anxiety problems, well, I don't really know. I get bad anxiety before tests, too, and haven't found an effective way of completely ridding myself of it (even when I know I had my stuff nailed, so it's not a confidence problem). Like you said, maybe the environment plays a role, so try taking practice tests inside that same auditorium just to get used to it.

Med school is full of people who have all been at the top during undergrad. Essentially, you're comparing yourself against these types, so don't get too bogged down if you're not topping classes now.