Trouble with grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the middle of my third semester at the University of Michigan Dearborn and I am trying to decide what I want to do with my life. I realize this is late in the game and I believe I have more or less blown my chances at getting into dental school before I even began applying myself.
Here is my situation, dismal as it is...
I currently have a 3.3 recalculated GPA.
This could be fixed I realize, but here is the problem:
I worked full time and had a lot (too much) time devoted to parties. I withdrew from a class and then failed it the next semester. I retook the class and got an A-. Three attempts at a calc class is absurd. So my question...

I'm screwed yes? I should be looking at other possiblities?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

You're not. Just apply yourself and you will get in dental school. Good luck.

Its only your 3rd semester, so you're just a sophomore? You have plenty of time and opportunity to improve your GPA (even though a 3.3 isn't absolutely as horrible as you think) and get into dental school...you already admit you messed up, so just make up for lost time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose what I am getting at is that most professional programs will not accept you if you fail a class twice. I got a W and then failed.

Raising my GPA is something I know I can do, but I can't erase this part of the mistake.

i took a class 5 times just to get a C-.

I received 6 Fs in undergrad. 4 Ws.

I got a MS after undergrad, rocked the DATs, and ended up with multiple acceptances.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You can't change the past so move on to your future.

Well, I feel like if you can bring your GPA up enough, I would say the upward improvement is looked at more than one class as a full reflection of you...I mean if you do improve your GPA, worst case scenario, you might have to explain it to an adcom during an interview.

wow.. these responses are different than I was expecting. This does give me quite a bit of new hope. What (out side of raising GPA) would you suggest I do to help myself? As far as things such as letters of recommendation, dentist shadowing and others goes, what are the most important In your eyes? Also, should I stay in the honors program? Would that help significantly?

i took a class 5 times just to get a C-.

I received 6 Fs in undergrad. 4 Ws.

I got a MS after undergrad, rocked the DATs, and ended up with multiple acceptances.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You can't change the past so move on to your future.

5?? what class?

Definitely stay in the honors program...and it seems like you get the idea for the most part. It's still probably too early to have to worry about your letters of recommendation, but its never too early to get involved in the dental field with shadowing/volunteering...join a pre-dental club on campus (if you have one), get involved with community service, and maybe get involved with some research in a related field. Some dental schools are very research-oriented, and I think they like to see that students have tried it out (even though not everyone likes research). Get involved in something that you can use to develop some manual dexterity (maybe a pottery class?) !

Thanks, I'll talk to people about getting started on some of these things. The help was definitely appreciated.

Good luck to all of you guys.