Trouble With Hat Trick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SN2ed's advice is to basically connect 3 topics together and try to come up with a passage with these, but I'm have trouble with every single set of 3 topics. How do you actually do this? For example, I got "Distillation", "Lipids", and "Mendelian Genetics". How would you go about putting all these in a passage and come up with questions connecting these? Would somebody get a few set of 3 topics and show me how to do this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how to do Hat Trick game either. I read his topic, but I still didn't get how to play. Would someone explain it more please

I don't have much time, but here's a crack at connecting the three topics. It's not perfect, but it should give you a very rough idea on what to do.

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have much time, but here's a crack at connecting the three topics. It's not perfect, but it should give you a very rough idea on what to do.

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

Wow, this is insane...thanks! Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

wow. excellent. Now I know how to play the game, but it looks hard :D .

Thank SN2ed.