Trouble with NBME finals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knope321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're in an organ base system curriculum. Typically, I do ok (at or above average) on the midterm, but get below average on the final. I find it really hard to study for the finals because they are purely NBME style and not lecture based. However, they go in way more detail than boards and beyond, pathoma, and first aid.

I tried to adopt my learning strategy based on what other successful students said to do and completely bombed my midterm that we took ~2 weeks ago. I know it was a mistake to change how I studied this late in the game, and I'm genuinely worried about failing this block. I'm willing to work my ass off over these next couple of weeks, but I just don't know what to do. I'm not doing terrible, but am definitely a little bit below average.

The problem I have with anki is it's hard to do if I don't know the material before hand - or at least have seen it. I end up with too many cards - Zanki + lecture and am scrambling to do cards and practice questions at the end. I always end up screwing up stuff we just learned too.

tl;dr Need to get at least a 75 on an NBME final. Have an exam in about ~4 weeks. What's your approach?

Members don't see this ad.

The big thing for me to being successful is to go bottom up and not top down. So I learned all the tiniest teeniest details and all the info right away (source material), learned to condense it with pathoma/ high yield source, then did RX questions to cement the knowledge. The lectures just sort of kept refreshing the knowledge as they came up. I felt that for me it was much easier this way. Keep in mind though that I am a pretty cerebral dude and not a hard worker so I never really dabbled in card-based studying since college.

I would figure out if you are a top-down or bottom-up thinker. Figure out something that works for the way you think and then just run with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Since your final is NBME just ignore your school lectures. Memorize the FA chapter for your unit (pounding through the Zanki deck for your system does this for you), watch the corresponding Pathoma videos for relevant path, watch the Sketchy videos for bugs / drugs, then pound through Rx / Kaplan questions for your unit. Mix in B/B if you have it & don't understand something and do any practice questions that your school gives you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to send a thank you! I had my NBME and did way above average; it was my best score to date.

Just wanted to send a thank you! I had my NBME and did way above average; it was my best score to date.
Yup FA+ Pathoma ftw. Basically don't study lectures