Trouble with Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Graphire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada and it is extremely difficult to get some shadowing hours. I think I got a spot with one of the dentists that work at my school, however I probably won't begin for a week or two.

The problem is I want to hand in my AADSAS application ASAP but this causes the problem of:

1. I don't have any shadowing hours as of date.
2. I don't have a reference letter from a Dentist

Do you guys suggest that I hand in my application with 3 professors and then send the Dental Reference when I get it individually to each school?

Or just wait it out a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools require shadowing hours so you wouldn't be able to apply to them without those hours. also i found experience at a dental office contributes to how you write your personal statement as well.
i am in canada too, it really isn't too difficult to find a dentist to shadow. Usually your family dentist will be willing, if not - look around and see. I would get on that ASAP though. If you have summer off start putting in full time shadowing hours! goodluck:)

Have you had any in-person exposure to dentistry? The point of shadowing isn't to just fill up a spot on the application. You gotta know what you're getting into. I'm sure you're confident this is for you, but try to get something in before submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a hard time trying to get shadowing hours in Canada as well. Like 0/5 offices I asked. I only called on the phone though, I think showing up in person would have helped.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I suggest delaying your application until the next cycle. You probably want at least 50 hours of shadowing, and that's hard to get in a month. If your stats are strong, maybe youll be ok, but you'd probably end up applying "late"