MD & DO trouble with the law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg498

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does having a misdemeanor hurt your chances of getting accepted into medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is not expunged then yes. If it is expunged then no.

How bad it would hurt your chances would depend on your age when you were arrested and the crime you were convicted of. I researched this topic as I had a felony when I was 17 but I got it expunged. I would suggest that you try to get it expunged.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a misdemeanor from the week I turned 18 (~7 years ago). It was dismissed, but is still on my record.

I am going in to this next cycle knowing I have that red flag on my app. I think it would be naive not to realize that it will negatively impact me However, it is what it is and the most I can do is own up to what happened and show what I've done since then to be more than my stupid 18 year old self.

I doubt that really helps your question though, since I haven't applied yet.

Depends upon what it is and how well you own it. If it's a moving violation, an alcohol or weed offense, then probably not. The longer the interval between the offence and your application, the better.

PM if you wish to share.

how does having a misdemeanor hurt your chances of getting accepted into medical schools?