Trouble Writing Failure/Adversity Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony77005

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a lot of problems answer a TMDSAS secondary with the prompt:

"Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?"​

I've already written a draft having to do with kickboxing/Muay Thai, but thing is that I have already written about in my personal characteristics essay but it's from a different angle. I'm also afraid that what I wrote is too broad (it's about recovering from a 2-year hiatus and relearning everything again).

I was thinking of writing about my freshmen year and how I failed to balance my obligations and failed to cope with my mother's psychiatric issues. But I also wrote about that in my optional essay and different secondary for the same school. It's an extremely heavy topic and I'm afraid if I bring it up too much then it would reflect negatively on me.

Could I maybe write about me failing socially I wrote about that a little as well in other essays?? I struggled at first but my social life really improved after my gap year. I took a lot of risks and pushed myself to become more sociable. Maybe I could include a funny story about my fraternity? Would this be too broad of a time period to talk about?

I also already wrote about how I failed academically and how I recovered in my optional essay and extraneous circumstance secondaries.

Or maybe about being a OChem mentor? There isn't a definite "failure" in regards to this one though.
Could I talk about how I'm chronically late to things? haha

I'm not sure what I can write about to make a compelling enough story.
I really don't want to feel one dimensional.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could I maybe write about me failing socially? I struggled at first but my social life really improved after my gap year. I took a lot of risks and pushed myself to become more sociable

Can you really write about the social failure? No jokes, no funny stories, just I didn't make friends, felt isolated, whatever else.
What did you learn about yourself after you failed socially?
How did you apply what you learned about yourself to other situations or circumstances?

It does seem to be the one situation that you haven't written about otherwise.

Can you really write about the social failure? No jokes, no funny stories, just I didn't make friends, felt isolated, whatever else.
What did you learn about yourself after you failed socially?
How did you apply what you learned about yourself to other situations or circumstances?

It does seem to be the one situation that you haven't written about otherwise.
Thank you for the reply, I've written up a draft on this topic and will be sending it to my prehealth advisor to be checked.

I hope it turns out well!