Troubled CVS PSA seeks advice/help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Museacia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there...

I apologize if I have no place posting on these forums. I know this is a forum created for doctors and students, but though I may aspire for higher learning I haven't had the opportunity just yet. Recently, my local CVS pharmacy hired me on as a PSA right off the street. They were looking for strong customer service skills sans the dour demeanor of their present staff, and were willing to train me as a PSA due to an ailing community reputation...

And me, I saw an opportunity to break into an interesting field. I had some limited experience in a doctor's office and worked well with people. I thought to myself: I can do this!

But... well. Now I'm a bit anxious.

This pharmacy is a madhouse. The store is ranked amongst the three lowest stores in their entire 600-something roster. Grumpy patrons didn't concern me: I knew I could turn that around if I was well-prepared to do so. But the trouble is that I'm not.

I was told that I would be receiving 12 hours of hands-on training after two separate four-hour sessions with the district pharmacist. At least, I think that's who she is. I ended up getting sent out to a place in Waretown (-I'm posted in Galloway, NJ) where we sped through 4 hours of 'this-is-what-you-do' in a single sitting, tucked up in a strange, dim corner office off some sort of stocking area.

I absorbed everything I could and froze, intimidated, when I was told that my 'First Day' was Tuesday. A twelve-hour shift, doing a job I'd only just been introduced to with absolutely no experience.

I cautiously explained my reservations. Something called 'LearnNet' was mentioned, where I could comb over the things we'd blasted through in her office. Unfortunately, my efforts to access it online have failed miserably. :( I can't even find it, and I feel extremely unprepared.

Instead, my search brought me here... And I decided to reach out to others in an effort to understand more about what I should do.

I scored a 95% on a quick assessment and was told my next 'official' day of training would be October 2nd. That's... that's all well and good, but I have a month of work between now and then, with a heavy full time schedule in an extremely hectic store.

Flashes of 'Don't worry, you'll be fine' and 'You'll be certified after training' and 'You can go for additional certifications' spun through my head before I found myself standing outside the Waretown CVS, clutching my purse and going: "......."

What certifications? What training?

If this was a retail job, I wouldn't be scared. But this is a Pharmacy job that I desperately want to perform in, where mistakes happen constantly, need immediate and dutiful correction, and where medicine dominates a field where mistakes can cost lives.

I really need the money. 9/h is a great wage to start at, whereas I've been lucky to pull 8/h in the past. I'm single, 25, and support my mother in a condo in the atlantic city area.

I'm just scared. I'm dreading Tuesday something horrible and I don't want this to set the trend for something I'd hoped could become a respectable shoe-in to an actual career.

If nothing else, does anyone know the URL I might use to access this 'LearnNet' via CVS? I've seen in mentioned in one of the posts that led me to this forum.

Thanks for reading...

Museacia

Members don't see this ad.

well if you work at CVS...that is kinda like retail. but good luck to you, it'll be fine. my advice is to just keep your head up and don't take things personally. there's always gonna be customers that are unruly and irrational.

on another note, 9/hr cant seriously be enough to survive

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about all of that stuff. If the pharmacy manager is smart, he/she will start you off by just working at pick-up and production(counting).

Eventually, they'll start to teach you how to work the computer and entering prescriptions into the system, handling insurance issues, taking doctor calls, reconstituting, etc.

I started working in a super busy and always (on purpose) understaffed retail store. It takes a while to become acclimated to inputting insurance and fixing all the little problems with peoples scripts, but hopefully the pharmacists and other techs will help you out there.

People will try to get really nasty with you in the pharmacy too, but it's all about how you react them. I have co-workers that always have problems and always get their heads screamed off because they start getting short or impatient with customers, or they just suck at dealing with people, while I seem to never have problems. just be polite, stay calm, and help them so you can get their ass out of there!!

Retail is something that is learned best on the job. There will be other people working with you - watch them, see what they do. Note the positive things that they do, avoid the negative habits. Your post was articulate - I have no doubt that you can and will rise to the occasion. Relax, you'll be fine.

Good luck!!!

~above~

Hey M:

Please take a deep breath. I think you're getting too worked up about your first day.

Of course in the beginning you'll be overwhelmed but just hang in there. The pharmacists are nice people and will help you out. Don't worry if you make mistakes - just learn from them.

Good luck. You can do it!

Thank you for the advice guys. :) I probably am working myself up over nothing. I know it seems silly-- CVS and all that, but it's not the retail part of the store that makes me nervous: It's the Pharmacy, simply because I don't want to make things difficult for patients/customers that are already liable to be sick. I whip through anything retail-oriented and I have a thick skin to onery customers. (Working retail at a dysfunctional kmart on Christmas eve teaches you to smile and nod really fast.)

I appreciate you putting a little perspective on my anxiety.

As to the 9/h -- Well... Understand, that aside Highschool I have no higher education. :( I'm working to fix that, and I'm trying to save up to put myself into the programs that can get me into a higher earnings bracket. I do illustrative work on the side, and it helps supplement my income. Provided I was pulling 7.00 to start at my last job, 9/h is a step up. I'm grateful for that, even if I'm not the... mnph. well, nevermind.

Thanks again. :) And thanks for the link.

Museacia