Try for Fall 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOwnPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If you've read my other posts, you know I've already graduated and need to retake organic chemistry and physics to finish my prereqs, plus the MCAT. I will be taking the courses this fall 2012 and spring 2013' taking the MCAT in the spring as well. Originally I thought I had to start in fall 2014 due to deadlines, but I just saw that the deadlines for some osteopathic schools I'm interested in isn't until like April 2013 to start for Fall 2013. I wouldn't have my second physics or orgo finished by then, but I would be almost finished and could tell them my current grade, with intent to finish before matriculation. I could also take the MCAT a bit earlier. Do you guys think it would be worth trying? If I don't get in, would it look bad that ihad already been rejected when I try again in 2014? If it doesn't hurt, I feel like I might as well try my hand, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

If you've read my other posts, you know I've already graduated and need to retake organic chemistry and physics to finish my prereqs, plus the MCAT. I will be taking the courses this fall 2012 and spring 2013' taking the MCAT in the spring as well. Originally I thought I had to start in fall 2014 due to deadlines, but I just saw that the deadlines for some osteopathic schools I'm interested in isn't until like April 2013 to start for Fall 2013. I wouldn't have my second physics or orgo finished by then, but I would be almost finished and could tell them my current grade, with intent to finish before matriculation. I could also take the MCAT a bit earlier. Do you guys think it would be worth trying? If I don't get in, would it look bad that ihad already been rejected when I try again in 2014? If it doesn't hurt, I feel like I might as well try my hand, right?

You can try... but you're risking the waste of an enormous amount of money. Just my opinion.

What are your stats again?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats again?

Community college: 4.0
Transferred to ivy school: graduated with 3.27

Combined aamcomas GPA: 3.6ish non science and 3.3ish science. No MCAT.
Medically and economically disadvantaged IMHO but not sure if that helps?

Oh, so your stats aren't the problem, it's that you haven't finished pre-reqs or taken the MCAT. Traditional students apply with all of their pre-reqs completed so you might want to wait until you finish.

Just to share my experience: Your gpas are the same as mine. I got a 30 mcat. I didnt have all of my prereqs done (still needed to retake the 2nd half of O-chem) but I still got plenty of interviews although I did apply early in the cycle.

But my bio and chem prereqs are at a community college, and I made a C- my first try at orgo at my 4 yr school. I just wonder if it's worth trying..I would love to start a year earlier.

As long as you finish prereqs by matriculation, you're fine. The main issue is if you're prepared to take the MCAT, and when you'll be taking it.

Don't let the deadlines fool you... there's a reason why people apply early. Your stats are decent, but not apply-late-and-still-get-in decent. You may get some interviews but will be at a serious disadvantage, all because you were out-competed by people who applied early.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I guess my question to you would be, when are you going to take the MCAT? If it's anytime after July... you're taking a risk.

As long as you finish prereqs by matriculation, you're fine. The main issue is if you're prepared to take the MCAT, and when you'll be taking it.

Don't let the deadlines fool you... there's a reason why people apply early. Your stats are decent, but not apply-late-and-still-get-in decent. You may get some interviews but will be at a serious disadvantage, all because you were out-competed by people who applied early.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I guess my question to you would be, when are you going to take the MCAT? If it's anytime after July... you're taking a risk.

Originally planned to take MCAT in May 2013, submit my app June 01 for Fall 2014. Knowing now that I could still apply for Fall 2013 if I do before April 1 for many DO schools, so I would take the MCAT like...January 2013? That way I at least have my first semester of orgo and physics finished. Is that just too late? Should I just keep with my Fall 2014 plan?

And does being disadvantaged help? Is there a way to see counties considered medically undeserved? I know I'm economically disadvantaged, I grew up quite poor.

Originally planned to take MCAT in May 2013, submit my app June 01 for Fall 2014. Knowing now that I could still apply for Fall 2013 if I do before April 1 for many DO schools, so I would take the MCAT like...January 2013? That way I at least have my first semester of orgo and physics finished. Is that just too late? Should I just keep with my Fall 2014 plan?

And does being disadvantaged help? Is there a way to see counties considered medically undeserved? I know I'm economically disadvantaged, I grew up quite poor.

I don't know if being economically disadvantaged helps, but it certainly won't help enough to get you in if you apply very late in the cycle.

If you really want to go through with your plan (MCAT in Jan '13, apply for Fall '13) you should do it. If you don't get in it ends up being a waste of money, but if you get in then it was worth it.

If I were in your position I would finish my pre-reqs (I'm assuming you have a full year of pre-reqs to complete) then spend May, June, and July studying for the MCAT, but apply in June '14 and just submit my MCAT score once it was released. That way I would be in the best possible position to score as well as I could on the MCAT.

Edit: However, I was kind of in your position 8-10 months ago when I was retaking 4 year old pre-reqs. I probably should've postponed my MCAT until next year when I had a chance to retake all my pre-reqs (retaking Bio 1 and Bio 2 in Fall/spring 2013), but I really didn't want to wait another year to apply (mostly because I'm financially disadvantaged). I ended up with a 33Q on my MCAT, so it worked out, but it was really hard to study for it with such a weak pre-req background.

January 2013 is WAY late if you're aiming to start Fall 2013. By then, the majority of applicants have interviewed and received acceptances.

Given that you're economically disadvantaged, isn't that even more of a reason to not risk all that money applying late? It won't help you that much for your application, so don't bank on that getting you an interview if you apply late.

Sorry if I'm being blunt... it just pains me when people fall for this idea that "if they accept apps till April, I can just submit right before then." I know it's tempting, but most of the seats are full by then, and you'd just be interviewing for waitlist positions... and you'd be towards the end of the waitlist anyway.

I'd recommend you stick with the 2014 plan. Just my opinion though. It's your call.

I don't know if being economically disadvantaged helps, but it certainly won't help enough to get you in if you apply very late in the cycle.

If you really want to go through with your plan (MCAT in Jan '13, apply for Fall '13) you should do it. If you don't get in it ends up being a waste of money, but if you get in then it was worth it.

If I were in your position I would finish my pre-reqs (I'm assuming you have a full year of pre-reqs to complete) then spend May, June, and July studying for the MCAT, but apply in June '14 and just submit my MCAT score once it was released. That way I would be in the best possible position to score as well as I could on the MCAT.

Edit: However, I was kind of in your position 8-10 months ago when I was retaking 4 year old pre-reqs. I probably should've postponed my MCAT until next year when I had a chance to retake all my pre-reqs (retaking Bio 1 and Bio 2 in Fall/spring 2013), but I really didn't want to wait another year to apply (mostly because I'm financially disadvantaged). I ended up with a 33Q on my MCAT, so it worked out, but it was really hard to study for it with such a weak pre-req background.

I'll be finished with my pre-reqs by may of 2013. Do I really need a year to study for the MCAT for a year after i finish? I then wouldn't be starting until fall 2015 if I took it June 2014. Or did you mean June 2013?

Here are a few comments I took from watching the Medical School Insider event (http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Home/med-insider.html) that I found helpful in determining whether this is the "right year" for you to applying:

"In the context of rolling admissions, there is a balance between early submission of an application, and submission of an application that really is the best possible application that could be submitted."

"APPLICANTS SHOULD ALWAYS TRY TO PUT THE MOST ROBUST APPLICATION THAT THEY POSSIBLY CAN. Consider it a 'snapshot in time' because...they don't always have the privilege of seeing courses or activities that you will be completing in the future. The applicant should complete as much as the work as possible and not be too late in submitting. If work is going to be completed too late in the process, they recommend waiting and applying the following year. This might be difficult to hear, but sometimes it's the best thing to do to be successful in the application process."

"Our concern is if you turn in an incomplete application or not your best efforts from representing your accomplishments, then more than likely the outcome is not going to be in your best interest. You might have to re-apply the next year, and as they look at your application the next year, the school learns that you made an error in judgement by not submitting a complete application or one that was not your best effort. This can influence committees, because they are looking for judgement as you prepare your application."

Because of the rolling admissions process (watching that video might help), you should probably wait and apply when you're ready to hit the submit button on June 1st or shortly thereafter.

I'll be finished with my pre-reqs by may of 2013. Do I really need a year to study for the MCAT for a year after i finish? I then wouldn't be starting until fall 2015 if I took it June 2014. Or did you mean June 2013?

Sorry, I always get confused with my years when trying to plan out med school applications.

I meant finish your pre-reqs, then apply in June '13 (to matriculate Aug '14) while studying for the MCAT.