Try this "chance me" thread out for size.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanmjr07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start out the the bad.
3.2 oGPA
3.3 sGPA

Now let's talk about the good.

25 AA/25 TS/20 PAT

My work/volunteer experience:

Combat Medic for 6 years in the National Guard. Did some cool stuff, got leadership experience ect.
I also was a camp counselor for a children's church camp for a summer (Non-paid). Same place, but different summers I was on the medical staff as an EMT. Total hours there was close to 200. Another thing that I did was volunteer at a food pantry for 20 hours and a nursing home for 40 hours.

Job shadowing:
I shadowed 4 different dentists for 20 hours each.

LORs and P.S. are awesome.

Let's hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

with that DAT, im sure you will get in somewhere.
but lot of schools require minimum 100 hours of shadowing
so if i were you i would get more shadowing done

with that DAT, im sure you will get in somewhere.
but lot of schools require minimum 100 hours of shadowing
so if i were you i would get more shadowing done

What proof that schools require that much shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)

By just checking some of those schools' websites you can see that there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Unfortunately haha. Like Michigan's for example: " is expected that candidates will exhibit a confirmed interest and motivation in a dental career by participating in career-related activities such as job shadowing, community service and other volunteer opportunities. Applicants are required to demonstrate, at the time of application, a minimum of 100 hours of dental shadowing and/or volunteering." Which seems to imply volunteering AND shadowing can make up the 100 hours. Wish everything had a universal standard!

Last edited:
By just checking some of those schools' websites you can see that there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Unfortunately haha. Like Michigan's for example: " is expected that candidates will exhibit a confirmed interest and motivation in a dental career by participating in career-related activities such as job shadowing, community service and other volunteer opportunities. Applicants are required to demonstrate, at the time of application, a minimum of 100 hours of dental shadowing and/or volunteering." Which seems to imply volunteering AND shadowing can make up the 100 hours. Wish everything had a universal standard!

Yeah, the above data is from the ADEA guide which just lists a number so it doesn't always tell the whole story.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have an upward or downward trend on that GPA? If its the former, with that DAT you should have no problem getting in somewhere.