Veterinary Trying to Apply for Vet School - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

devyn

toight like a tiger
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a student looking for some advice. I’m graduating with a Bachelors in Wellness this December, but I’m planning to apply for Vet school in the future.

I have not completed all the PreReqs for Vet school but I would like to apply for a Masters Degree that will benefit in Veterinary field/ be a backup plan and that will also aid me in getting the Prerequisites completed.

If there is anyone out there that will be willing to give me some advice or have been in the same situation and are trying to/or in Vet school, I’d appreciate the advice!

Just to add or clarify: I don’t have all my pre-reqs finished but I’ve managed to complete some while finishing my degree in Wellness. I graduate this December but need some advice.

Is there a master degree that I can do that will help me get the pre-reqs out the way/while also having a back up plan or should I do a post-bacc?

I’ve looked at ASU to complete the pre-reqs as a non-degree students, but I can’t receive financial aid, which I need.

If anyone can help me out it would be very helpful!

Thanks!
It depends on what prereqs you have completed and have not... I assume the ones you have not are the more hardcore science ones - like Org Chem? But just a guess.... is there a reason why you are getting a masters degree at all? or just because you can get financial aid for it to continue your pre-reqs for vet school?

I would not recommend just choosing a random masters degree to complete your prereqs - if it does become a backup job, will you be happy?

If you have gone all the way through your Wellness degree and now decided you want to be a vet... you need to take a step back. I am sure you are aware even if you do take all the prereqs you will still need a couple thousand hours of vet experience to get accepted into a vet school as well as amazing grades. Do you have this so far?

Recommendations - if you want to pursue vet - get your prereqs part time at a public university/ state u for much cheaper and work full time in the vet field to get more hours. If you are really adventurous, consider going overseas to a 5 yr program for vet - less prereqs needed. Cost will be the same or less really for vet school + prereqs. Just make sure it is avma accredited.

Also realise, you may think vet is the only thing you can see yourself doing, but halfway through vet school that will change... so if you can see yourself doing anything else now, go for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.