Trying to become a Dermatologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to become a dermatologist, but I have a question. Maybe you guys can help.

Since Obamacare has passed.. is it even worth it? All the schooling, all the debt, the amount of time that passes before you can even start earning any money; financially, is it even worth it at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously? You must be a troll.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to become a dermatologist, but I have a question. Maybe you guys can help.

Since Obamacare has passed.. is it even worth it? All the schooling, all the debt, the amount of time that passes before you can even start earning any money; financially, is it even worth it at this point?

No.

Medical school as a whole is not worth it.

Don't even go.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
No. Since the bill has past I am constantly seeing dermatologists out on the street trying to check my moles for a dollar. You should just give up now.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
seriously dudes, for once in my life im not trolling. can somebody please tell me how much dermatologists are going to get paid going forward?

seriously dudes, for once in my life im not trolling. can somebody please tell me how much dermatologists are going to get paid going forward?

All really anyone can give you is the current salary. Anyone who says doctors are doomed financially in the future is out of their minds IMO. As the baby boomers age supply and demand will work it's magic. Contrary to what some say, we still do have a private health care system.

The flip side is that you have no idea if you would even be able to become one. If you are lucky enough to get in to med school becoming a derm is far from a guarantee. Being a doctor is financially stable, but it is not a get rich quick gig. You should only embark on such a journey if you really love it.

Reactions: 1 user
LMAO....you have two posts. Which is the non-troll one?

Troll score: -4/10

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
All really anyone can give you is the current salary. Anyone who says doctors are doomed financially in the future is out of their minds IMO. As the baby boomers age supply and demand will work it's magic. Contrary to what some say, we still do have a private health care system.

The flip side is that you have no idea if you would even be able to become one. If you are lucky enough to get in to med school becoming a derm is far from a guarantee. Being a doctor is financially stable, but it is not a get rich quick gig. You should only embark on such a journey if you really love it.

at this point.. it is something that i really want to do. im not afraid of embarking on this journey because when i apply myself to something, it always gets done. my grades are phenomenal, and i find school to be pretty damn easy. what steps do you suggest i take to find out if i really love it and want to continue? also, what is the rough estimate of debt i would be looking at? 250k?

at this point.. it is something that i really want to do. im not afraid of embarking on this journey because when i apply myself to something, it always gets done. my grades are phenomenal, and i find school to be pretty damn easy. what steps do you suggest i take to find out if i really love it and want to continue? also, what is the rough estimate of debt i would be looking at? 250k?

Start finding some doctors to shadow. 250 is a safe bet, although you could come out with considerably less..

Student debt statistics

• $156,456 – According to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the average educational debt of indebted graduates of the class of 2009.
  • 79 percent of graduates have debt of at least $100,000.
  • 58 precent of graduates have debt of at least $150,000.
  • 87 percent of graduating medical students carry outstanding loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally not worth it. No one is going into Dermatology anymore, it's for people who fail step Is. I think they're even making the residency available without medical school as long as you got above a 28 on the MCAT.

Now that parts of Obamacare came into effect this week, dermatologists actually have to pay their patients to see them.

Just go into any major city and you will be bombarded with Dermatologists asking you for spare blemishes. Then when you say you have none, but you really do, they say "God bless" anyway and you feel guilty.

Between your 3 posts and your self-selected username, I wish I knew who you were so I could challenge you to the competition of your choosing, so I could beat you like at dog at it.

And since I've already gotten my post out of the way,

8763d1227258262-quality-of-life-on-19-000rs-month-trolls_feed.jpg

• Haha
Well, OP, since you're clearly "the best," you tell us.

• Haha
If you knew about dermatology, you would know that a lot of the cosmetic procedures are not paid for by insurance. Thus, dermatologists will still be able to make a lot of cash money, but I am 100 billion percent sure you will never become one.

• Haha
So let me get this straight... The choice of this specialty is based on financial reasons. (According to the original post, plus followup.) Hopefully, you're doing your best to suppress this while writing your application and interviewing.

Most medschool graduates don't choose their specialty based on income. If that were the only factor, then they would drive themselves insane with the workload and forced conversion to thinking as a physician. Not to mention the 4 years of negative income, plus several years of $45k - 50k while struggling to stem the tide of compounding interest against you.

In addition, just because one qualifies for Obamacare / Medicare / Medicaid, etc... does NOT mean they have quality healthcare. It only means that the charity hospital they're forced to go to doesn't take a 100% loss, but more like a 60% loss.

Physician salaries are safe for now. WHEN the healthcare legislation fails, as it did in Mass., the cash-only crowd and people retaining private insurance will probably be just fine.

Maybe you should ask an actual dermatologist this question instead of random jag-offs on the internet. If you want to be a dermatologist because they get paid the most, that's a really stupid reason because (1) they don't, and (2) you will hate your life and be bitter about your work.

• Haha
The odds of you becoming a dermatologist are not good, not good at all. You probably better have a plan B.

On the bright side, you could become a fan of the Oregon Ducks and enjoy yourself during football season.

The odds of you becoming a dermatologist are not good, not good at all. You probably better have a plan B.

On the bright side, you could become a fan of the Oregon Ducks and enjoy yourself during football season.

Oregon? What is that in reference to?

If you knew about dermatology, you would know that a lot of the cosmetic procedures are not paid for by insurance. Thus, dermatologists will still be able to make a lot of cash money, but I am 100 billion percent sure you will never become one.

Oh man he's a 100 billion percent sure OP, looks like your screwed.

No but on a serious note, I went to the thrift store the other day and saw this dermatologist checking moles and selling lemonades. It was real good lemonade.

Between your 3 posts and your self-selected username, I wish I knew who you were so I could challenge you to the competition of your choosing, so I could beat you like at dog at it.

And since I've already gotten my post out of the way,

8763d1227258262-quality-of-life-on-19-000rs-month-trolls_feed.jpg

I'll bite! What makes you think that you are smart enough, talented enough, and motivated enough to actually make the scores to get you into a derm residency? I love the arrogance of some pre-med's, who think that they are such hot ****.

Everyone in medical school is smart, with great undergraduate grades/MCAT, and most of will never get the grades and board scores that are needed to become competitive in the derm match.

Alright, off my soapbox now.

Speaking of doctor salaries: The doc I am going to shadow is driving a Prius!!!!111 I am SO depressed. I thought he would have a BMW 7 Series or a Porsche at least!!!1 :mad::mad:

Speaking of doctor salaries: The doc I am going to shadow is driving a Prius!!!!111 I am SO depressed. I thought he would have a BMW 7 Series or a Porsche at least!!!1 :mad::mad:

On that note, my dentist drives an old civic. :(

Maybe he's just like Kyle's dad from South Park...
250px-1002itsahybrid.jpg

Hey guys so i just took my mcat on 6/28 and still awaiting my scores so i can finally apply to medical school and embark on my quest to be a dermatlogist. Looks like obama care didnt make a difference, huh guys?

Do you know Gus the Pus Sucker? You should talk to him about it. He makes a fortune, er, at least he did before the ACA passed.

Do you know Gus the Pus Sucker? You should talk to him about it. He makes a fortune, er, at least he did before the ACA passed.
OK, ive never heard of him but it never hurts to pick someone else's brain.

Dude were you 12 when you made this post?

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I'm actually impressed you came back. Congrats on taking the test. You still want to be a dermatologist?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why, but I can't stand when people refer to earning a medical degree as a "journey" or "quest"

Hey guys so i just took my mcat on 6/28 and still awaiting my scores so i can finally apply to medical school and embark on my quest to be a dermatlogist. Looks like obama care didnt make a difference, huh guys?
Now you can worry about Medicare for All!!! :)

Well, some people take the scenic route through pharmacy and optometry and back to finally taking the MCAT. Maybe username should be Odysseus.
Going with the Homeric comparison, maybe a better name would be Achilles, trading their youth for glory following the voyage?

I'm actually impressed you came back. Congrats on taking the test. You still want to be a dermatologist?
Dermatology sounds cool. I like ophthalmology too. I like working with kids too, so possibly pediatrics, i am open minded to other things too. I have a wide variety of interests. Lol I'll post my mcat score when I get it. I have no idea how I did.

It was a pleasure reading through this thread but, 2010 -> 2020, 19 -> 31 years old? Maybe you knocked back a few drinks when posting :p

• Haha
  • Wow
It was a pleasure reading through this thread but, 2010 -> 2020, 19 -> 31 years old? Maybe you knocked back a few drinks when posting :p
I'm 31 now that's all I know.
Lol if you liked this thread, check out this one. This is my crowning achievement on sdn: so im taking my oat on march 24
I should put it on a resume, it's that good

No I did not
Did you become an optometrist?
No I did not. I crushed the oat though, 98th percentile

i started working in an eye clinic and realized optometry is Hella boring so I took the mcat instead

I got a
I once saw a quote that said "anyone who describes their life as a "journey" has had a DUI"
I got a dui, it was in 2008 and it was definitely part of my journey. Do you think thatll affect my chances? Maybe if i get a good mcat score theyll forget about it

• Haha
I don't know why, but I can't stand when people refer to earning a medical degree as a "journey" or "quest"
Totally agree. That should be grounds for an instaban. So annoying when people do that