Trying to decide and trying to figure things out!??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericK14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore at MCPHS and currently majoring in Pharm Sci and trying to get into the PharmD program but at times I'm skeptical about if pharmacy is the right call for me. I'm 23 years of age, I have a 3.1 GPA right now, I work as retail pharmacy technician and I have some volunteer work but not in any hospitals yet, and besides pharmacy I always think about pursuing a career as a doctor, not sure what type of doctor, or as a PA. I like the hands on experience, I help to help others, I like to research, I like to learn about medicine and what it can do. But if I've been lost lately on what is it that I really want to do. I want to be able to help my family out, and at 23 I won't really have a career as a doctor until I'm like 31-33 probably. Is that too old to be a doctor? To start off a career, and then there's the loans and all the debt I'll be in? Currently I'm at 60k for two years at my school loans. Financial aid isn't helping much but I'm not sure what to do in some areas. Any advice or help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of people who start medical school "late;" starting medical school at 25-26 is really not that abnormal. Many schools have an average age of matriculation that's in the 24-25 range. There was a guy who was in his early 40s as an M4 when I was an M1. Whether it's worth it to you to start your career is something you'll have to decide. You certainly wouldn't be the first, though.

What specific questions do you have about financial aid? You'll almost certainly have to take out more loans for your medical training. Try and go to a state school with relatively cheap in-state tuition to save money. Unfortunately most students simply choose the best among a limited number of options - none of which may be particularly optimal situation from a financial perspective. That's just the name of the game.

I'm a sophomore at MCPHS and currently majoring in Pharm Sci and trying to get into the PharmD program but at times I'm skeptical about if pharmacy is the right call for me. I'm 23 years of age, I have a 3.1 GPA right now, I work as retail pharmacy technician and I have some volunteer work but not in any hospitals yet, and besides pharmacy I always think about pursuing a career as a doctor, not sure what type of doctor, or as a PA. I like the hands on experience, I help to help others, I like to research, I like to learn about medicine and what it can do. But if I've been lost lately on what is it that I really want to do. I want to be able to help my family out, and at 23 I won't really have a career as a doctor until I'm like 31-33 probably. Is that too old to be a doctor? To start off a career, and then there's the loans and all the debt I'll be in? Currently I'm at 60k for two years at my school loans. Financial aid isn't helping much but I'm not sure what to do in some areas. Any advice or help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Whew. Seems like you have some major thinking ahead of you. I'm just going to hit on a couple things.

1. A 3.1 GPA is very lethal for MD and DO schools. Assuming you do decide to become a doctor, you would need to boost that up to a 3.4 at least. Above a 3.5 would be best.
  2. In my opinion, starting medical school when you're about 26 wouldn't be that awful. People have started much later. You would be 30 upon graduating and if you decided to do a short residency, you could be practicing by the time you're 33-34. (This is clearly best case scenario)
  3. Financial debt wise, 60K for two years is a lot. Considering even an in-state resident at my state medical school pays >$30,000 in tuition and fees + living expenses, it means you're going to be badly in debt. Assuming you end undergrad with 120K in debt (plus whatever interest has been added), you would need at least 45K/year at my in-state medical school for tuition and cost of living. This gives you 180K more in debt, putting you at 300K + interest. So realistically, you're going to be in some pain.
It's up to you. But if you decide to go after it. Go after it full-throttle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I can boost up my GPA and I can make it happen, a little hard work and it's the money sense I'm worried about, would I be able to pay it off, my interest rates are high because I'm doing loans with no co-sign and I'm limiting and trying to find scholarships or something to limit how much I'm taking out. It's very stressful for me because I thought at this point in my life I would know what I would want to be and I'm still uncertain. It's frustrating. I want to do something that makes me happy.

I know I can boost up my GPA and I can make it happen, a little hard work and it's the money sense I'm worried about, would I be able to pay it off, my interest rates are high because I'm doing loans with no co-sign and I'm limiting and trying to find scholarships or something to limit how much I'm taking out. It's very stressful for me because I thought at this point in my life I would know what I would want to be and I'm still uncertain. It's frustrating. I want to do something that makes me happy.

Alright, is there any other college in the area that won't be costing you 30K in loans every year? If not, then it's a struggle you'll have to work through. Being a physician with that much debt will be rough.

My school is roughly 23k a year for undergrad, I had to take extra for living expenses and school expenses, so the next two years I won't be having to take extra because I'll be back home.

My school is roughly 23k a year for undergrad, I had to take extra for living expenses and school expenses, so the next two years I won't be having to take extra because I'll be back home.

Just wondering, your school doesn't offer any academic scholarships? For instance, at my school, if you have a 3.7 or greater high school GPA and a 26 or greater ACT, you automatically got 12K of the 26K paid for.

I actually haven't looked into it. I was a transfer student going into MCPHS, I barely knew about how to do all the scholarships. I graduated High school with a 3.4 GPA, and I transitioned from another college and a community college for three years before I decided to pursue pharmacy. And now I'm at this stage where I'm confused again.

I actually haven't looked into it. I was a transfer student going into MCPHS, I barely knew about how to do all the scholarships. I graduated High school with a 3.4 GPA, and I transitioned from another college and a community college for three years before I decided to pursue pharmacy. And now I'm at this stage where I'm confused again.

Well I think it's just time to look into all of your financial options and shadow both a doctor and pharmacist to see what intrigues you most.

I think I will do that. I work at a retail pharmacy, cvs to be exact, so I see the retail side of things but I want to know more and see more.