Trying To Figure Out DO Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brumz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is going to be a long post, and a lot to read through, but as I prepare, I really need to make sure I'm on track, and since, as a nontraditional student, I don't really have an adviser, I'm coming to you. I figure there are many of you are in this process currently, or have been in this process recently, and should be able to answer my questions. I thank you in advance for your time and support.

I am trying to figure out exactly which prereqs I need for DO as a non-traditional student.
From what I can tell, there are certain prereqs that are pretty much standard across the board for med schools:

8 semester hours of Biology
8 semester hours of General Chemistry
8 semester hours of Organic Chemistry
8 semester hours of Physics
3 semester hours of College level Math

I plan to do these at my local college. One question I have is in regard to so many people I see here talking about the importance of upper division courses. As this is a college and not a university, there aren't upper division courses offered.

From what I have been able to gather, the following courses are what I would need in order to complete my prereqs. I am trying to figure out if I seem to have the right idea here, or if I'm way off base in my approach. Please note that all of the science classes are 4 credit classes, and the ones that should have a lab, do.

Biology:
BIO 196 - Principles of Modern Biology I - A study of the basic characteristics of living systems including the chemical and physical structure of cells, classification of living organisms and principles of genetics, ecology and evolution. This course is designed for science, biological science and preprofessional majors.

BIO 197 - Principles of Modern Biology II - A survey of major groups of organisms presented in an evolutionary context, including natural selection, biodiversity, structure and function, reproduction, physiology, and ecology. Prerequisite BIOL 196.

General Chemistry:
CHEM 121 - General Chemistry I - An investigation of the fundamental structure of matter and chemical terminology. Introduces topics such as solution chemistry, thermochemistry and gas laws. Designed for science and preprofessional majors. Students enrolled in CHEM 121 should have taken or have concurrent enrollment in MATH 127 or MATH 128. Prerequisites: CHEM 103 or 110 or a passing score on the Chemistry Placement Exam.

CHEM 122 - General Chemistry II - An application of chemical principles to inorganic systems. Emphasis on thermodynamics, equilibrium and kinetics. Prerequisites: CHEM 121 and MATH 127 or 128.

Organic Chemistry:
CHEM 241 - Organic Chemistry I - Intensive introduction to the chemistry of carbon and its
functional groups, including the structure and behavior of its molecules. Laboratory emphasis is on natural processes. Prerequisite: CHEM 122.

CHEM 242 - Organic Chemistry II - Continuation of CHEM 241, covering simple and poly
functional compounds, with emphasis on syntheses of organic molecules. Laboratory emphasis on natural processes and qualitative analysis. Prerequisite: CHEM 241.

Physics:
PHYS 151 - General Physics I - General physics primarily for students in Arts and Science,
medicine and agriculture. Includes study of mechanics, sound, and heat. A knowledge of right angle trigonometry is desired. Prerequisite: MATH 128 (or equivalent combination of MATH 126 and 127).

PHYS 151 - General Physics II
- Continuation of Physics 151. Covers optics, electromagnetism and some aspects of modern physics. Prerequisite: PHYS 151.

Math:
MATH 126 - Precalculus I - A rigorous discussion of algebra concepts necessary for calculus is the focal point of this course. Topics include an in- depth investigation of algebraic functions and their graphs and solutions of systems of equations. Prerequisite: MATH 096 or MATH 097 both with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test Score. Note: This course serves as a prerequisite course for MATH 127 and is essential for students planning to take calculus.

MATH 127 - Precalculus II - Topics include an in-depth investigation of trigonometric functions and their graphs, analytic trigonometry, solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite: MATH 126 with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test score. Note: This course is essential for students planning to take calculus.

MATH 128 - Precalculus and Trigonometry - A one semester course equivalent to the combination of MATH 126 and MATH 127. Topics include an in-depth investigation of algebraic and trigonometric functions and their graphs, solutions of systems of equations, analytic trigonometry, solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite: MATH 096 or MATH 097 both with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test score.

My 3 Questions:

1) Basically, like I said in the beginning, are these classes the right classes I should be taking to meet the basic DO prereqs? If not, What would I need to change?

2) I realize that I only need 3 credits of college level math. I'm wondering, would my MATH 127/128 be enough math to qualify as "college level math" in most schools, or would I also need to take a Calculus (MATH 181 at my school) course? MATH 127/128 is the highest I need to go for my other prereqs, so I don't necessarily have to take calculus if one of those classes will count as the med prereq.

3) I read on here about several people taking other bio courses, including microbiology and anatomy/physiology courses. Is there a reason I should be spending extra time on those courses? As a nontrad, my goal is to get into med school as quickly as possible, and taking extra bio courses, while they may help me once I get into med school, would require additional time and additional prereqs. (microbiology and A&P require BIO 189 - Fundamentals of Life Science.)

Again, I know that's a lot to go through, and I appreciate anyone who is/has been in my position, and who is willing to give some guidance.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

well as far as I know, looks pretty good but those bio classes... those are the ones for non-science majors, you should probably take the higher ones "General Biology I + II" (w/labs). you don't have to have any prior experience in bio to take the general bio ones, at least at my school.

as far as math, depending on how much time you have, if possible it would be good to take one semester of stats ("Elementary Statistics"), which is easy, and if you can, go up to Calculus I.

I don't know what your math background is but I did undergrad a long time ago so coming back to school recently, I looked into what the prerequisites for Calc I were (several sequential courses), and started with the highest level one that they would let me start in (which I think was basically the one that had no prerequisites for it).

So for me the math went 1) College Algebra, 2) Precalculus/Trigonometry, 3) Calculus I. You definitely don't have to go all the way up to Calc though.

oh and so yes, if a school just wants 3 credits of college level math, I think precalc/trig definitely qualifies. like you said I am trying to get into med school ASAP, so I think the basic idea is to get all the bases covered with the absolute requirements and then if you have time maybe add some icing on the cake.

potential icing on the cake: Bio III, Microbiology, Genetics... but if you have time for icing, from what I can tell, Biochem is the first choice beyond the bare minimums.

and since you seem to be at the beginning of the process, i'll give you my two cents on ordering the classes, for what it's worth. it seems like most other pre-meds I've talked to tend to take bio and gen chem first (simultaneously), then physics and organic (simultaneously). I assume they do this because bio and gen chem are supposed to be the easier two of the four and they want to ease into things.

I did it differently and I'm glad. I did gen chem and physics first, then bio and organic. this way you're not saving the ones the a lot of people think are the two hardest for last, to be taken at the same time. also, this is how they are grouped together on the MCAT: gen chem and physics together, organic and bio together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, sisko! Glad to know I'm on the right track.

well as far as I know, looks pretty good but those bio classes... those are the ones for non-science majors, you should probably take the higher ones "General Biology I + II" (w/labs). you don't have to have any prior experience in bio to take the general bio ones, at least at my school.
One thing I want to clarify is that the bio classes I listed (BIO 196 & 197) are indeed science classes with labs. The descriptions also say that they are for science majors.

So with that being the case, the bio classes are the correct classes I should be taking correct?

I think your science coursework seems pretty standard for what most med schools require. As far as the math, if you know what schools you think you'd be applying to, I'd look at their websites or even email the programs. Not every school will have the exact same requirements. Some may require "College-level" be at specific level (ie precalc may not apply). Some may require bio classes beyond basic bio. Some may require some humanities coursework. It's always a safe bet to check with the schools.

Tip: whenever you have contact with a med school admissions office, always keep a log of your call and who you spoke to.

The sciences you list should meet all requirements.

As for math, as already said check a couple schools as some will want the first semester of Calc (though there is no reason on this planet why you need it for medicine).

You asked about upper-level bio, most of those are taken 1) to help boost the overall application and 2) prep for the MCAT. They are not required at most schools but biochem. micro or genetics can help later on as an example.

A lot would depend on how you did on the core sciences, and also on your past. If you have a barely acceptable GPA then getting A's in genetics or Micro would help bolster the arguement you can cut it in medical school. If you are a solid student, and get A's in your other sciences then it is not as important.

All medical schools require 1 year of general bio, general chem, english, physics, math, organic chemistry. Some require a behavioral science.

Usually physics requires calculus as a pre-requisite or a co-requisite. You should check with your school's requirements for that.

Thanks for confirming that, everyone. And thanks for the other advice and tips.
I'm glad to know that my plan is actually the right plan. :)

yeah just a quick follow up on the bio question, (I'm assuming the naming conventions at your school are similar to the ones around here -- meaning there is a principles of bio option and a general bio option, neither of which have any pre-reqs).... those principles of bio classes might be fine for some schools, but for other schools they would not be acceptable. so if you go with the general bio classes you know you've got your bases covered there. and general bio is not that hard really... i mean in my class it was mostly freshman in their first semester of college ever and many if not most had had zero previous bio experience.

yeah just a quick follow up on the bio question, (I'm assuming the naming conventions at your school are similar to the ones around here -- meaning there is a principles of bio option and a general bio option, neither of which have any pre-reqs).... those principles of bio classes might be fine for some schools, but for other schools they would not be acceptable. so if you go with the general bio classes you know you've got your bases covered there. and general bio is not that hard really... i mean in my class it was mostly freshman in their first semester of college ever and many if not most had had zero previous bio experience.
Oh okay. I get it. As far as I know, those BIO classes are my school's "real biology" classes.

Here are a list of all the BIO classes offered at my college.
My state's 4 year universities have the same course names and numbers due to reciprocity agreements between the state's higher education institutions.

BIO Courses Offered:
BIO 095 - Basic Biology
BIO 101 - Biology for Non-Majors
BIO 103 - Biology Laboratory
BIO 112 - Introduction to Animal Behavior
BIO 113 - Life in the Oceans
BIO 116 - Natural History
BIO 120 - Plants and People
BIO 121 - Human Nutrition
BIO 122 - Desert Plants
BIO 189 - Fundamentals of Life Science
BIO 196 - Principles of Modern Biology I
BIO 197 - Principles of Modern Biology II
BIO 202 - General Botany
BIO 208 - Introduction to Human Genetics
BIO 211 - Introduction to Field Biology
BIO 214 - Molecular Processes
BIO 220 - Introduction to Ecological Principles
BIO 223 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I
BIO 224 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II
BIO 251 - General Microbiology

Note that BIO 223, 224, and 251 require BIO 189.

Looking through the list, it appears to me that Principles of Modern Biology I & II are the correct bio prereqs I need to take, given this list. Also, BIO 196 or 197 are the required BIO prereqs for all of the upper division BIO classes at my state's 4-year universities. That also makes me think that those BIO classes are the correct ones I should be taking.

I welcome any further thoughts or insight.

ok yeah it looks like the naming conventions here are different from the ones where you are and the ones you have listed are the right ones :)

ok yeah it looks like the naming conventions here are different from the ones where you are and the ones you have listed are the right ones :)
Great, thanks for your help. :)
I know I'm throwing a lot of info out there, I just didn't want to spend a year taking the wrong courses. :thumbup:

no problemo. hey it looks like you are on the ball with the researching & planning all this out in advance, which is the right way to do it

Math:
MATH 126 - Precalculus I - A rigorous discussion of algebra concepts necessary for calculus is the focal point of this course. Topics include an in- depth investigation of algebraic functions and their graphs and solutions of systems of equations. Prerequisite: MATH 096 or MATH 097 both with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test Score. Note: This course serves as a prerequisite course for MATH 127 and is essential for students planning to take calculus. .

MATH 127 - Precalculus II - Topics include an in-depth investigation of trigonometric functions and their graphs, analytic trigonometry, solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite: MATH 126 with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test score. Note: This course is essential for students planning to take calculus.

MATH 128 - Precalculus and Trigonometry - A one semester course equivalent to the combination of MATH 126 and MATH 127. Topics include an in-depth investigation of algebraic and trigonometric functions and their graphs, solutions of systems of equations, analytic trigonometry, solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite: MATH 096 or MATH 097 both with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test score.

You might find a Statistics course more helpful than those that you listed. But as far as filling the need required, it appears you have it.

You might find a Statistics course more helpful than those that you listed. But as far as filling the need required, it appears you have it.
Thanks. I have taken stats before.
The reason I chose those math courses is because those are what are required for Chemistry/Physics.

If you're specifically interested in DO schools, you might want to take more biology classes. VCOM, Campbell, Pacific Northwest, and a few others want an extra three to six credits of science classes.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll try to see about squeezing them in somewhere. Actually, I might have planned on doing that anyways. I have a feeling I'll struggle in the math intensive sciences, so extra BIO classes might be essential to keep a high sci GPA.