typeAyo

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2010
Status
Hi,
This is actually my first post. I wish I knew about this great community early on.
So I've spent hours and hours reading through most of the threads on SMP's and post-bacc programs and went through a few of the programs I was interested. My interest is particularly based on location...D.C., VA, MD.
I dug myself a hole in undergrad with both science and cumulative gpa's under 3.0 :scared: and took the DAT's half seriously and scored AA17 TS17 RC25 PAT 21 QR15. After taking a year off, I decided I needed to take action and raise my science gpa and do either a post-bacc or SMP. My question is:

1. Most of these programs require minimum of 3.0 gpa so do I even have a chance of getting into a program (SMP)? I'm looking at Georgetown, Towson, VCU, NOVA, and possibly UMDNJ.
2. Also, do I have to take the GRE's to get into the program or can my current DAT score get me in? (I don't want to be unprepared for the DAT's second time around)
3. Does anyone know any other programs (post-bacc or SMP) that's in the DC metropolitan area that's accepted post-grad students with standings such as myself?

ANY advice, info, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi,
This is actually my first post. I wish I knew about this great community early on.
So I've spent hours and hours reading through most of the threads on SMP's and post-bacc programs and went through a few of the programs I was interested. My interest is particularly based on location...D.C., VA, MD.
I dug myself a hole in undergrad with both science and cumulative gpa's under 3.0 :scared: and took the DAT's half seriously and scored AA17 TS17 RC25 PAT 21 QR15. After taking a year off, I decided I needed to take action and raise my science gpa and do either a post-bacc or SMP. My question is:

1. Most of these programs require minimum of 3.0 gpa so do I even have a chance of getting into a program (SMP)? I'm looking at Georgetown, Towson, VCU, NOVA, and possibly UMDNJ.
2. Also, do I have to take the GRE's to get into the program or can my current DAT score get me in? (I don't want to be unprepared for the DAT's second time around)
3. Does anyone know any other programs (post-bacc or SMP) that's in the DC metropolitan area that's accepted post-grad students with standings such as myself?

ANY advice, info, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.
Hi and welcome to SDN.

As to your question about minimum GPA, it depends largely on the program itself. Though many do state a minimum of a 3.0, they have been known to accept students with a lower GPA than the bar that they have set if they have other factors that suggest they would be a good candidate for medical school in the future. Unfortunately, your DAT score is also low.

To clarify this a bit more I'll give you an example. You stated you wished to enter NSU's MBS program most likely to matriculate afterward to attending NSU dental. NSU MBS only accepts 8-12 students for their program whereas Barry University MBS, a popular alternative for FL residents who didn't make it into Nova MBS, takes about 40 students into it's 12 month Option I track and states that their average to taking students in is a 3.3 GPA and at least an 18 DAT. Do some research but from my experience, a low GPA and a low test score isn't going to do you many favors.

VCU from what I've read has accepted students with below a 3.0 GPA. But you're going to have to ask a specific question to one of the students in the program or that has completed the program (instatewaiter).

I would suggest you to take some more classes in hopes to raise your GPA and retake the DAT. It's inevitable imo at least that you will need to retake the test because though your PAT and RC is pretty good, your AA is quite low and the QR as well (there have been questions in the past whether QR really matters but I think the consensus has been that you can't score below a certain amt for some schools). Since I don't know how many units you have nor exactly what GPA you do have, it is impossible to really gauge which programs you are appropriate for. My best advice is to raise the GPA, retake DAT, and apply early/broadly after doing research into which programs would be most appropriate to you. Good luck.

typeAyo

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2010
Status
Thanks for the great info! If I were to raise my gpa, is it just better to return to the school I graduated from and do a informal post-bacc or do I have a chance to get into a formal post-bacc program to raise that gpa?

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That's a question that you have to answer for yourself.

If you raised your GPA to a 3.0 or above you have more options than you do currently. If you retake the DAT and receive a higher score, again you have more options as well.

To be perfectly honest, though programs quote an average on their websites or brochures or in conversations with a rep, there are always exceptions and I can't gauge how a certain school will react to a higher DAT score than their average but a lower GPA. I can tell you from my experience that there are programs that I have gotten into where my GPA was below what they were looking for. Since I brought up Barry as an example to Nova, I got into Barry U's 12 month MBS track with a sub 3.0 GPA and a 20 AA DAT. You won't know until you try but a question to ask yourself is (this works for me) can you apply to dental school with what you have after one of these program. In my experience, most of these programs accept based on how strong they see you as a candidate to apply to medical/dental school after successful completion of the program (assuming they think you can get through the program).

I recommend retaking the DAT. As I said your scores on some sections are great and on the other two sections not so much. If you were able to balance out the scores and receive an AA of a 19+ you stand a far better chance of entering SMPs and dental schools. Apply early and broadly.