Trying to get to sleep the night before...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be staying over in a hotel the night before the MCAT for location conveniences, but last time I took it, I got so worked up I slept maybe 4 hours. I even went down to the bar at 11, had a drink and went back up. So this time around, I'm wondering if I take half of an ambien at 9, if I'll be bright and ready to go at 6. I've had mixed effects with ambien, sometimes it leaves me in a fog for a while in the morning. What's everyones opinion on this strategy, and what gets you to sleep the night before the exam?

Tim

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise you not too. It could go either way. I'd rather take the test with 4hrs of sleep than be in a "fog" for the PS section

Brandon81081 said:
I would advise you not too. It could go either way. I'd rather take the test with 4hrs of sleep than be in a "fog" for the PS section

I remember only getting ~ 3 hours of sleep the night before I took the MCAT, but I wasn't sleepy the day of the test. I think it was really the adrenalin rush that kept me awake. I was dead, though, as soon as I finished BS.....now as far as my score went :rolleyes:

RAD11 said:
I remember only getting ~ 3 hours of sleep the night before I took the MCAT, but I wasn't sleepy the day of the test. I think it was really the adrenalin rush that kept me awake. I was dead, though, as soon as I finished BS.....now as far as my score went :rolleyes:
I managed to get about 3 hrs of sleep as well...I had the adrenalin rush myself. I felt like i had plenty of sleep. Though i dont think lack of sleep is to blame for my poor scores, it might have had played a small role

Members don't see this ad :)
Brandon81081 said:
I managed to get about 3 hrs of sleep as well...I had the adrenalin rush myself. I felt like i had plenty of sleep. Though i dont think lack of sleep is to blame for my poor scores, it might have had played a small role

Haha I guess you and I were on the same boat!

Brandon81081 said:

I'm in whole-hearted agreement. For me, the last time that I took it, I just made sure to not try and go to bed excessively early so I wouldn't have the toss & turn in bed all night deal. I've been only getting 6 or so hours of sleep as is, so that'll probably do it for the real thing. That's what Starbucks is for. :cool:

Jwax said:
That's what Starbucks is for. :cool:

So true. I just remember drinking lots of coffee in the morning and kept me up 'til lunch time and drank more at lunch.

I'm taking a half a dose of nyquil around 9 PM. It's been working well the past few days. I was able to wake up at 6 with no problems.

okay... so I'm getting the vibe that maybe I should just try and tough it out, not use the sleep aids.

the night before I took the mcat I had a really hard time falling asleep, mostly because I was used to staying up late studying/being a night owl. I was really tired that morning, but with all the administrative junk before the test starts, you have plenty of time to wake up before you have to perform

for the next few nights try some benadryl; it helps you fall asleep and generally allows you to sleep pretty well. try 2 pills tonight; if you feel groggy at 6 am, try only one pill. I am the world's worst sleeper and that has been working for me all summer. I only take one pill since I don't need the sleep now but if it was crucial I'd want to make sure I really get it. I stupidly took nothing for my MCAT and I didn't get more than 1 hour of sleep all night.

i had serious problems sleeping before 4am anytime this summer, and to reset my schedule so i could wake up at 8am, i started taking melatonin as soon as it got dark. Worked pretty well for me, and i dont wake up feeling weird. Plus i get plenty of REM.

Also one sweet trick that i'll be using on friday is to work out fairly hard around 5pm. You'll get the rush for a few hours, and then you'll get pretty damn tired. It works best if you haven't worked out for a while (like most of the people cramming for this beast)

I tried lastnight, but couldn't fall asleep til 2 AM. I set my alarm to 7:30 to make me fall asleep ealier tonight, but I woke up at 10AM instead. My alarm went off and it woke me up, but I just decided I rather have more sleep. I'll try again tonight.

Most can't sleep the night before so make sure that on Thursday night you get plenty of sleep. Personally I took my usual Xanax/Klonopin cocktail. But, I take that every night so I knew what to expect. Good luck all!

WilliamsF1 said:
I tried lastnight, but couldn't fall asleep til 2 AM. I set my alarm to 7:30 to make me fall asleep ealier tonight, but I woke up at 10AM instead. My alarm went off and it woke me up, but I just decided I rather have more sleep. I'll try again tonight.

lol i had the same problem. Setting it for 7 30 and waking up at 10. It's tough. I think i fixed my sleep schedule though. But it took a few days of going to bed at 5, only to wake up at 8...NOT taking my usual 1-2 hr nap around lunch time. It's been difficult.

I am taking half an ambien, I tried it out a couple of times and it works great for me. I did nothing for the April exam and the inability to focus brought me down pretty far from my average practice scores. Lack of sleep kills is something I have not gotten used to, guess that will all change once residency comes around.